Gang Caching In Suburban And Urban Seattle?

AnalogDog

I have been pondering the idea of what we all have been doing in the summer, The Anderson Island Cache Machine, The Boulder River Cache Grab, and Wing Nuking, and the recent Mt.Si hike, and taking it into suburban and urban Seattle, where a whole ton of caches are, and most of us live.

I think this would be a great way for locals in the various neighborhoods could help out visitors from either adjacent neighborhoods, or visitors from far away.

Basically, I am thinking that we schedule a bunch of trips to lovely places like Redmond, Lynnwood, Downtown Seattle, and Renton. In some places it could be specified that the group would only seek one type of cache, say Redmond Mystery Caches or Capitol Hill Micros.

Now, I realize some of you are already doing this with your support groups, but there are those of us that are typically solo cachers and need an organized event to attend or we go alone.

I could work up a list for the calendar, but I would like some contact for each trip, and what the objective is, and where to meet. And keep it to a 4 hour or less trip, others can stay for a full day if they want, but nobody has to plan for it.

One other thought is that with the truly urban events, they could be almost all weather, and ducking out of the rain would be easy.

I like it - especially the focused, limited time aspect. I have a hard time getting dedicated time to join all day or far-away events. Saturday mornings might make a great time -- allowing the group to cache during a quiet period, then to break up and either cache on or get back to family and other commitments.

With all you guys interested, and I bet there are more.... I think the only way to do this right is to just jump right in and say you are willing to put together a weekend tour. Its probably a good idea to offer up the caches that you would like to do, so folks know what to prepare for.

Like this (and I mean it!):

This Saturday morning, 10/22 from 8-12

Lets Hit Redmond!

By a little pocket query, there are 58 caches within 2 miles of Redmond Town Center which should keep us occupied for a good part of the morning.

I propose that we meet at the Mini Green Monster, and first try our hands at that one. For those that are not familiar, its adjacent to a rather large parking lot, which can serve well as a meeting place.

From there we head out based on the whims of the group, either to gobble up the easy ones, or suffer through the tough ones. And if there is just a ton of folks, maybe we can split up and go separate ways.

Those with GPRS radios should tune to Channel 2 to stay with us at any point of the morning.

With all you guys interested, and I bet there are more.... I think the only way to do this right is to just jump right in and say you are willing to put together a weekend tour. Its probably a good idea to offer up the caches that you would like to do, so folks know what to prepare for.

Like this (and I mean it!):

This Saturday morning, 10/22 from 8-12

Lets Hit Redmond!

By a little pocket query, there are 58 caches within 2 miles of Redmond Town Center which should keep us occupied for a good part of the morning.

I propose that we meet at the Mini Green Monster, and first try our hands at that one. For those that are not familiar, its adjacent to a rather large parking lot, which can serve well as a meeting place.

From there we head out based on the whims of the group, either to gobble up the easy ones, or suffer through the tough ones. And if there is just a ton of folks, maybe we can split up and go separate ways.

Those with GPRS radios should tune to Channel 2 to stay with us at any point of the morning.

Ok I say the hard ones.... Since that is really all I have left in Redmond and I could use the help. :(

This sounds like a great idea. I can't join this weekend, but I'll keep an eye out for more events like this one. As a new geocacher, I have a basic question. When a group finds a cache, what is the etiquette for more than one person logging the cache? It seems like only one person actually lays hands on the find (at least initially), although multiple people may have been looking. Just curious. Thanks.

Different groups do it differently. Some may just have all the members log it. Others will see the cache, keep searching, and eventually announce that they have found it. After all members of the group find the cache, the last to see it will retrieve it and all will sign. It depends on the size of the group and how they want to deal with the find. In general the cacher that pulls out the box will put it back so it is hidden the same way as it had been.

Shoot, it's overtime this weekend :) I could have used some help in Redmond as well! :) I may have to delay going to work. :o

Which are the tough ones you have in mind? Any puzzles to be solved first?

Oh you know just a couple of 5/1's Alea jacta est!, Die Kunst Der Fuge (The Art of the Fugue), Check and Recheck.

Actually I am less interested in this particular trip as the ones in the future where I have been less, but I am more then willing to hang out with friends and do some caching/guiding.

Shoot, it's overtime this weekend  :)  I could have used some help in Redmond as well! :o  I may have to delay going to work.  :)

Which are the tough ones you have in mind?  Any puzzles to be solved first?

Oh you know just a couple of 5/1's Alea jacta est!, Die Kunst Der Fuge (The Art of the Fugue), Check and Recheck.

Actually I am less interested in this particular trip as the ones in the future where I have been less, but I am more then willing to hang out with friends and do some caching/guiding.

Alea jacta est!- is one I cannot even figure out how to start it. The other two are ones I have tried, and failed at. Hey, I could work on any of the three, but it would be nice to pick up a few easy ones, too. I gotta remember the numbers game.

And just to settle any fears, I am not the arbitor of this this, I am just an instigator. There is no reason that there can not be competeing groups on Saturday morning, Saturday afternoon, or Sunday, or Wednesday.

AndrewRJ could easily call for a South Snohomish event for Saturday, And Hydnsek could call one to take people around to just do her caches in the Newcastle area. The more groups, the happier we will all be, I think.

Rob