Golf Balls!

Mr'D

Im not sure I understand this hatred of golf balls. Are other sporting equipment allowed or would leaving a ping pong ball also annoy you? I have been known to leave golf balls, brand spanking new of course. I think that they are far better than some of the other rubbish you find in caches. Also it is possible that a number of golfers are also cachers, they both get you outdoors.

why shouldn't they be in, they are very usefull items in wet weather, they certianly seem to make drivers aware that they have just soaked me on purpose by driving though a large puddle when one bounces off the back windscreen

if I am cacheing and I find one I will put it in the cache, its more envronmentally friendly to do so, it gets recyled, and it stops the local population of hedgehogs swallowing them.

Im not sure I understand this hatred of golf balls. <snip>

Cos some cachers appear to try to stick them up their nose ;) .

Perhaps a bit of education as to what they are really intended for wouldn't go amiss :D .

Oh and I don't mind calling cards at all - good to wind up a few cachers who are bored with golf balls ;)

Can't see anything wrong with leaving golf balls. Broken stuff is what I hate to find. Some golfers love finding golf balls, just like some kids love McToys etc. etc.

Is there not such a thing as a 'Broken Golf Ball' then? Not ever having played it I've no idea ;)

After a couple of years playing this game (in no way can it be described as a 'Sport' in my view) I no longer am under any delusion as to what I'm likely to find in a cache - unless it's a fairly 'recently placed' one!

I now fully expect it to be full of crap. I do have the added incentive to see if the cache is actually wrapped in a bin liner/plastci bag :D . I then have the (dubious) pleasure of observing the indigenous local mollusc population ;) .

What annoys me is when people remove golf balls and say 'removed golf ball, don't like to see them in caches as they are other peoples property'

Yeah they aren't wrong, they are the property of the cache owner, and if they dislike it that much, they should leave it and give their concerns to the cache owner.

I personaly can't really see the gripe on them. As long as they are a fair swap then who really cares. Unless it is your cache!!

One problem I have with golf balls is they tend to be found while looking for the cache, and thus shouldn't really be regarded as a swap item. Drop them off by all means (just my opinion) but only swap them for something equally valueless.

My personal gripe with contents is the 'it's all I had in my pocket at the time' swaps. So that's 3p, a dead biro, used train tickets, expired vouchers...Lint. But since I tend to TNLN or drop a candle off it's no biggy. Life is too short and caching too silly to get worked up about these things. TDW's thread on contraband items, however, is a bigger deal. I remove (or would remove) lighters, cigarettes, food items, alcohol and anything else clearly unsuitable. Condoms I'd leave if I found them, but personally I think they're a rather thoughtless swap. Still, if a caching couple find themselves suddenly fond of each other, they could suddenly find condoms a great swap item. Better safe than sorry. ;)

SP

Edited by Simply Paul
<snip>

Condoms I'd leave if I found them, but personally I think they're a rather thoughtless swap. Still, if a caching couple find themselves suddenly fond of each other, they could suddenly find condoms a great swap item. Better safe than sorry. :D

SP

Yeh but you'd never know if the person who left the condom in the cache had a bit of fun with a pin first! :surprise:

The caching couple you speak of might end up with more than just a golf ball :laughing::D

Everyone should carry a golf ball at all times just in case they come across a UFO. S'true ...

".... If the sighting is from a distance, at an arms length, what would it take to cover up the object? A quarter? A penny? A dime? An aspirin? Or would it take something bigger? A golf ball? A baseball? Or a tennis ball?"

EXTRACTED FROM 10 Things You Should Do If You Encounter A UFO

:D

Everyone should carry a golf ball at all times just in case they come across a UFO. S'true ...

".... If the sighting is from a distance, at an arms length, what would it take to cover up the object? A quarter? A penny? A dime? An aspirin? Or would it take something bigger? A golf ball? A baseball? Or a tennis ball?"

EXTRACTED FROM 10 Things You Should Do If You Encounter A UFO

:huh:

Better take a golf ball at the next cache - just in case of aliens :D

I hate golf tees -

1) Can poke your eyes out with them (well children might ;))

2) They look stupid :D

3) Who wants them other than golfers? Do they help against aliens? :D

I hate golf tees -

1) Can poke your eyes out with them (well children might :huh:)

2) They look stupid ;)

3) Who wants them other than golfers? Do they help against aliens?  :D

No but apparently Arnold Palmer had them in his Rolls Royce and when asked by his nephew what they were he replied "They're to put your balls on when you drive"

"Cor, Rolls Royce think of everything, don't they!" came the reply.

Joke circa 1972

Can't see a problem with a nice new golf ball - that's a pretty useful item and with some value, if it's a hacked cut ball then that's not much use. Can't remember ever seeing one in a cache though.

More useless is what we've occasionally come across and what was recently logged on one of ours...

"Took a really nice item with some value and left a conker."

And I do believe I saw a stone used as a swap item once.