A Question For All You Techie Guys

Pharisee

I've just bought a new external 200Gb USB hard drive.

When I plugged it in to my PC and switched it on, my PC went 'bing bong' and told me it had found new hardware. A moment or two later it said the the new hardware had been installed and was ready for use. A removable drive icon appeared on the right hand side of the blue bar at the bottom of my screen.

However..... I can't find it anywhere :D

I'd sort of expected it to appear as a 'Removable Drive' (with a drive letter) in my Windows Explorer in much the same way as my 1Gb data stick does but it seems not. I can't find it anywhere. I'm running Windows XP Home Edition.

Before I take it back and make a fool of myself, is there something I should have done to make the PC recognise it and assign it a letter. The only instruction that came with it refer to installing a driver from the supplied CD if I'm running Windows 98.

Edited by Pharisee

Did it come with a driver disk John? I have found a number of devices that are not on Microspits approved list and occasionally you have to install the drivers before plugging into the USB.

I know it isn't in our nature but I have started to read documentation (oh horror) before installing new devices.

I have had three recent products that needed the drivers installed first. A USB to Serial adapter, a flash card reader and a bluetooth dongle.

Si

Try going into the Computer Management MMC by doing the following

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management

Then look at the Disk Management

Dose the drive appear there?

If so is if Formatted?

If not Format it by Right clicking on the rectangular block that represents the drive

Milton (aka moote)

Edited by moote

I brought a external drive once, that wasnt partitiioned and formated, so it didnt have a drive letter.

If you are using windows XP you can use 'Disk Management' to check to see if it appears there and if it does you should be able toformat it...

Find Disk Management, by right clicking 'My Computer' and choosing 'Manage'

You should then get a 'Computer Management' window appear, in the left tree there should be disk management. Clicking that should show a graphical representaion of your disks, which should mention if they formated.

If it not you should be able to right click on the box for the disk and choose partition, after that a similar process to format.

> in the disk management somewhere there is an option to assign letters even if it already formated.

Hope that helps, Barry

Did it come with a driver disk John? I have found a number of devices that are not on Microspits approved list and occasionally you have to install the drivers before plugging into the USB.

I know it isn't in our nature but I have started to read documentation (oh horror) before installing new devices.

I have had three recent products that needed the drivers installed first. A USB to Serial adapter, a flash card reader and a bluetooth dongle.

Si

I did try putting the disc in.... the PC eventually told me that the driver already installed was the best one.

Just going to plug it in again and look at the formatting stuff :D

XP Home Edition and the drive formatted to 187Gb. That'll keep me going for a little while  :ph34r:

I can't imagine why you need a drive that big. :D:lol::lol:

-

To hold pictures of the hat???!!! :D

Oi.... it's not that big!!! :D:D:)

Yes I agree my home server has 6 raided 420GB drives :D and I can fill them up no problem.

Milton (aka moote)

XP Home Edition and the drive formatted to 187Gb. That'll keep me going for a little while  :ph34r:

I can't imagine why you need a drive that big. :lol::D:D

-

To hold pictures of the hat???!!! :D

Oi.... it's not that big!!! :D:D:lol:

Yes I agree my home server has 6 raided 420GB drives :D and I can fill them up no problem.

Milton (aka moote)

Wow.... your hat must be REALLY big :):D