How Many Travel Bugs Do You Currently Have?

fly46

What the heck.. Wanted to give us something to talk about..

How many bugs are you currently holding?

How many bugs do you own?

Lets get conversation started!

Went to an event last night and ended up with a bunch of them (8 regular and a WJ). One of them, the tag number is in the 100000 range... When I can get on the site to log, it'll be interesting to see where that one's been. Another one is called "exhibit C" - looks kinda neat. The Jeep started out in France with a local cacher who went there on a trip. Very cool!

As for owned, I've got a few out there. Four are racing and doing moderately well, but not wonderful. A couple others keep dissapearing but then showing back up.

I own 17, of which only one is probably irretrievably missing. Maybe two. I was going to link to them, but looks like the server is down.

I'm holding three, which is unusual for me. I like to pick them up one by one and show them a good time, but there were four leftover at the end of a meet and I felt sorry for them. Shed one, waiting to place one, want to add something to another and was going to hold the last one with owner's permission for a trip in September...that I've had to cancel on account of a dental crisis. Boo hoo.

I've currently got 13 :cry: travel bugs in my possession. 7 of them are my personal bugs, and another one is a friends personal bug that hasn't been grabbed back yet. The other 5 will be going to an event this weekend. I own 4 travel bugs, or 10 if you count coins as bug (which I do).

A funny bug story... A little over a month ago I put this travel bug on my watchlist. It was a little over 100 miles away and I never expected to get a chance to log it, but then this morning I got an email saying it was placed only a few miles from my house. Now it's sitting on my desk for the time being. :laughing:

I own four TBs. The first one I released reached its goal by being placed on Dauphin Island by the first cacher to pick up the TB. It has since logged over 2,000 miles. Two others have also gone 2,000+ miles. The fourth has traveled a whopping 40 miles. :cry:

I'm currently holding AGA Coin Traveler. It is a coin with a TB tag attached. :laughing: I'll be placing it soon.

I have 4 active bugs. Although, one bug went missing from the first cache it was placed. One is in one of my caches waiting to be picked up. The other two went out of state, Florida and Minnesota, with the first geocachers to pick them up. :laughing: I just got 8 new tags, one will be another book like Midsummer Night's Dream .

I have one bug I picked up and am waiting to drop it in a cache that fits it's mission. Gas prices the way they are prohibit the long drive until later( like after next payday). :cry:

I own 8 travel bugs. 5 are in caches (two overseas - UK and Japan), 1 is missing (but possibly rescue-able: Brecon Beacon Bug, in "Sandy" near Rome, NY) and 1 is in my possession, but I haven't figured out what I want to do with it yet. I'm still holding a bug that I picked up 2 weeks ago, but haven't had time to place yet.

Now, of the 78 bugs, jeeps and coins I've moved, 30 are listed as being in caches. 36 are in the hands of cachers, and 12 are marked as missing.

Of the 30 listed as being in caches, 9 have been in that cache for 6 months or more. One of those 9 is listed as being in the Travel Bug Graveyard. Of the 36 listed as being in the hands of cachers, 13 have been in those cachers' hands for 6 months or more, but I know of 2 of those 13 that have completed their journeys, and are in the hands of their owners. So, of the 78 travelers I've moved, 34 are probably not traveling anymore. However, I still hold out hope for these missing ones as 3 of my bugs have disappeared for a considerable length of time, but have reappeared.

Edited by Metaphor

We own 45, and have several more in partial stages of completion. (We like bugs :laughing: ).

I dropped three off in the past few days, so we're currently down to holding holding two: a white Jeep that I just picked up yesterday, and another bug that we've been holding for eleven days. We went to a cache today that we hoped it would fit in, but the container was too small. We'll drop it off tomorrow. On the plus side, we posted some humorous (humorous to me, anyway) pictures for it yesterday. Its goal is to "see how much trouble" it can get into, and to have its explots photographed: Monkey Business.

(Regarding the vandalized Jeep in the second "Monkey Business" picture: don't worry, it washed right off :cry: )

I have one showing in my possession, but in reality, it's in the mail on its way to San Francisco to a fellow cacher there. If things go right, its owner may be able to visit it when he visits SF next week.

I own two. One has traveled from Michigan to Florida, to Pennsylvania, to Oregon on its way to California. The other bug got picked up and never placed in a cache....It's a member of the ZERO Miles Traveled Club.

lets see, according to my profile i have 21 tb dog tags and 5 usa gecoins out and about in the world.

unfortunately in reality...

10 are missing including 3 usa geocoins, and most of the others have not been moved in a bit, i would say maybe 5-6 are still active and i get semi regular emails about the movements..

i also have a couple un-activated usa coins i havent places 1 2004 and 1 2005 as well as 4 dog tags not activated yet either..

I'm a n00b and have 1 TB out at the moment. I have another registered but not placed. I have 2 that I haven't registered or placed. I just released my first one and it has moved only once for a total of only 1 mile but it DID move and in only one day. Hopefuly it will TRAVEL like I had planned. :(

I am taking a trip from Northern California to Montana next month and I'm hoping to find a TB or two to take with me and leave along the way or in Montana. I'd like to move them along.

Note: San Francisco is NOT Northern California - I don't care what they say! In my book you must be Sacramento or North to qualify as Northern California!!! Nothing against San Francisco but I'm really tired of folks referring to it as Northern California when the REAL Northern part of the state has nothing at all in common geographically, politically, or economically with the state South of Sacramento!

I own four travel bugs. One has been in the Czech Republic since February. But my brother put it there. The other three seem to wander far off their course. The one in Delaware wants to go to Australia. It never wanted to go to Delaware! The one going to Maine detoured to Tennessee, but is now in New Hampshire. One more should be going out soon.

I'm holding six. Three very recent ones that are headed west, which I hope to get out today, if the rain stops; and one headed east.

Trouble is that there are too darned many micros in the area. Especially whe we cache in the city. Oh, well. They'll find homes soon.

What the heck.. Wanted to give us something to talk about..

How many bugs are you currently holding? 

How many bugs do you own?

I own 29 bugs. 22 of those are out in the world, and 7 are in a box here by my desk.

Six of those seven have not been released yet (although I intend to release Alphabet Bug U today.)

The remaining bug at my desk is BobTheBug. His mission was to travel from Colorado to the Pacific ocean, go for a swim, and then return to Colorado for retrieval. I haven't decided what his next mission will be yet, although I'm open to suggestions. :( Bob visited caches in Colorado, Alberta, Oregon, California, and Hawaii before returning home.

Edited by danook

I currently own 14, one of which I keep as my personal traveller to log the miles I cache. Two of my others are currently in "unknown" status. One of those was picked up by what I call a "one-cache wonder". This person tried geocaching one time and took my bug and has never visited the gc.com site since. So, I don't have much hope for that one.

I'm currently holding 1 that I need to release since I've had it about 3 weeks now. After 2 weeks I get antsy. I was at a cache the other day and forgot the TB in my car!

Hurray! A TB topic! I own seven. One is irretrievably lost. One is languishing in the possession of a newbie who seems to have quit. The other five are doing fine. I plan to put out one more and relaunch the two that are dead/in limbo at some point.

I am currently holding none. I give myself a pat on the back. I do not hold TB's for long. It is rude and inconsiderate.

I have 12.

5 are coins I plan to keep (I traded or bought them -- no steals)

1 is a "Jeep grabber" which has two contest Jeeps attached to it (which is an attempt to prevent the Jeeps from getting stuck)

I also have released about 7 coins that are long "gone" (ie. not moved, but taken by whomever found them)

I really enjoy some of the thoughtful logs and pictures folks take with my TB's. I think that it is especially a nice thing to take photos when possible as it allows me to "travel" with my TB's.

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog

I think BobTheBug wants to come to Nashville and see fly. lol.

Okay, Okay.. Just a thought.

I feel the pain about bugs not fitting places. Somehow at the last event, though, I managed to get three that are very tiny. I could put all three into the same decon container with no problem, and one will fit in a film canister!

I just looked up the ones I owned.... Eight bugs, two coins...

Six are being held by cachers, but only two of those six moved this month. (Looks like it's time for another round of polite "I see you and my bug are having a good time..." emails)... The three that are in my tb race are sitting in caches.. and the forth that appears to be in a cache is a personal coin that I'm not releasing and I've simply left it in my event page. Dang, that's depressing! Only 6335 miles between the ten of them.

I have four currently in hand. 3 are Autism Speaks puzzle pieces that haven't been released yet. I'll get all four out this week. Hubby is gone providing emergency relief for hurricane Katrina victims, so I have plenty of time for geocaching!

We have 4 bugs and a coin, all doing fairly well.

If I see a bug in a local cache hasn't moved in a few weeks, I'll grab it and move it.

Those notes are always hard to write!

Yeah. I always say something along the lines of

Greetings! I was checking my travel bugs and noticed that you've had <bug> in your possession for a while. Could you please let me know what's going on with this bug, just so I know? Thanks!

At least I know something this way. And the message doesn't come across as "You jerk, go put my bug in a cache!"

FYI - I sent three such messages out before I went to work and at least one message has already resulted in a good result. :anitongue:

We own two TBs and pitted them in a race against each other. One has completed the first leg of the race and the second got picked up in New Mexico a month ago and is still in the cachers possesion. Last time I checked, the cacher was fairly active up until our bug got picked up - that was the last cache he ever found.

I'm not sure if I should send the guy a note or give it some more time.

I was just reading the logs of caches and bugs we have known and found out some bad news. A Horse With No Name cache in Red Rock Canyon, outside of Las Vegas was melted in a fire and all contents lost, including the TB that was in it. So sad. That bug really does need to go to the TB graveyard, since it has been cremated!

My name is Mr. Bug and I'm a bugaholic.

I used to just put out bugs on weekends. But somehow, it wasn't enough. I started sneaking out from work and placing bugs during the week. Somehow, before I knew it, I was placing bugs in caches in the morning. "Heck, it's noon somewhere in the caching world, isn't it?" I can quit anytime I want, I just don't feel like it just yet.

I joined a 12 step group, but it was no use. That familiar manila envelope was waiting for me when I got home today.

Another 24 larvae.

When they hatch, that will be 344.

But I don't inhale.

2bugs

www.2bugs.org

I joined a 12 step group, but it was no use. That familiar manila envelope was waiting for me when I got home today.

Another 24 larvae.

When they hatch, that will be 344.

:D

I'm a noob and currently own two bugs... one is in the hands of a nearby cacher (who I'm hoping will turn it loose soon), and the other made it to the east coast on its first trip.

I have four bugs in my possession, and a fifth is enroute to its final goal. One of these four will be swapped out today. The remaining four will travel overseas with me on Sunday and be freed in Italy and France.

(and BTW, if anyone in the Los Angles area has a bug who wants to get to Europe, e-mail me!)

-Leanne

We have released 26 Regular Travel Bugs, 5 USA Geocoins, and 19 California Geocoins...for a total of 50

I don't really keep track of the California Coins. Out of the 31 tracked on GC.com, we have about 10 that are still active, and about 20 that have gone missing.

A couple of the active ones just came back to life after about a year of being lost.