Help, We Are Being Killed By 9-11 Fraidy Cats

ifishaz

Artemis,

You post what you want, security is not in that area for airport concerns (WATKINS ST.), that is a very high drug and crime area. Don't try to mix national security concerns with that, it makes me LMAO... By the way please admit to everyone on the boards where the local Arizona approver is=====California...

Strange. I have some stuff I'm sending to Artemis, and the address she gave me is certainly in Arizona. I don't know where you got your misinformation.

4leafclover,

No I do really know how to ingratiate myself with the people I need most. I really do believe in my case and will fight it, I really do not care if it alienates some high ups in geocaching. I do not need geocaching people most, I need my family, this is a game, a game I like, but deffinately do not need.... I used to be a premium member, but saw no need as it was being ran in a way I wasn't happy with, just like now. Guess what, we don't need geocaching, they need us as members otherwise they get no ad $$$, no membership $$$, etc...

wonderful that you would put so much time and effort into something so unimportant to you. If this is the case, accept the fact that the cache won't be listed, (at least as is), and the rest of us can go to Off Topic for some more fun...

Hey mopar = ITS MY WORK PARKING LOT, yes I got permission to place it.

Harrumph... it's the same deal as situations which I've heard of where a cache placed near a cop station was given permission by some cop working there... next thing ya know, some police co-worker who didn't get the word is all over some poor, unsuspecting cacher.

OK, yeah, you work there. Can you guarantee that every darn airport cop on duty and local cop on duty WILL know that this is a perfectly permissible suspicious-looking box?

(resisting the temptation to post the froggy violin gif)

Sparrowhawk,

Can you guarantee I won't get stopped anyplace geocaching? NO

I make no such guarantee either.

4leafclover, My passion in this is for a country I see going down the tubes by fraidy cats of 9-11 giving up our rights for supposed security. Hense my original thread post....

The true freedom in being free is standing up when somone tries to take it away....

Hey mopar = ITS MY WORK PARKING LOT, yes I got permission to place it.

Harrumph... it's the same deal as situations which I've heard of where a cache placed near a cop station was given permission by some cop working there... next thing ya know, some police co-worker who didn't get the word is all over some poor, unsuspecting cacher.

OK, yeah, you work there. Can you guarantee that every darn airport cop on duty and local cop on duty WILL know that this is a perfectly permissible suspicious-looking box?

(resisting the temptation to post the froggy violin gif)

I was the reviewer who listed the cache placed at a police station with permission from the Chief of Police, who was the cache owner's next-door neighbor. The cache was blown up by the regional bomb squad after a passerby noted suspicious activity. The Police Chief was out of town at the time, if I recall correctly.

There are some places that just shouldn't have a cache, even if it's theoretically possible to place one there.

CYBret,

You shut it down if you want, but the forums have not spoken... How can you say a thread that has run only a few hours has been spoke on by members, in a few days when more can read and respond yes. but not in a few hours, but then again im not a geo big wig so do what you want, its about what i expect.

This thread is now into it's third page, I'd say the forums have spoken.

And it's not just about opinion, it's about heat. I'm not pleased with the level of insults and accusations being thrown around here. If these forums are going to be used to garner opinions about cache placement and approval then they're going to need to remain civil.

Just to add my own opinion into the mix....this does not look like a very good place for a cache.

As long as you're askin'.

Bret

4leafclover,

No I do really know how to ingratiate myself with the people I need most. I really do believe in my case and will fight it, I really do not care if it alienates some high ups in geocaching. I do not need geocaching people most, I need my family, this is a game, a game I like, but deffinately do not need.... I used to be a premium member, but saw no need as it was being ran in a way I wasn't happy with, just like now. Guess what, we don't need geocaching, they need us as members otherwise they get no ad $$$, no membership $$$, etc...

It's allright to fight a case, but there is no reason to be rude.

Keystone ,

Really thanks for showing in perfect detail of how this country is going down the wrong way, lets all over react at every chance we get... geesh. what police protection they must have there. They blow anything else up lately???

Ummm, yes, they have blown up other stuff lately. If you read the "Off Limits" section of the Geocache Listing Guidelines, you'll see a nice list of the places where that happens most frequently. The Guidelines are there for a reason; we don't add new ones to an already lengthy document just because it's fun.

Sparrowhawk,

Can you guarantee I won't get stopped anyplace geocaching? NO

I make no such guarantee either.

4leafclover, My passion in this is for a country I see going down the tubes by fraidy cats of 9-11 giving up our rights for supposed security. Hense my original thread post....

The true freedom in being free is standing up when somone tries to take it away....

If you want to stand up to somebody, stand up to the government, or your local police agencey. Not gc.com. They have no part in vast conspiracies. :unsure::anitongue:

Really, gc.com is just trying their best to make sure no one else goes through the pain of jail time and questioning. I don't see how you can fault that.

4leafclover,

I didn't take that as rudness, 'bro, just a little bit of a tantrum...

4leafclover,

I didn't take that as rudness, 'bro, just a little bit of a tantrum...

I was meaning the all over rudeness, in this entire thread. It's making my tummy hurt. :anitongue:

Well, I hope this thread gets left up thru the weekend, I have stated my case and hope more get to respond. If I was indeed rude to any I apologize, my intent is not to be rude but to fight for my case as I see it and believe it. I hope that if time is gave more will post seeing my side of view. I have long ago realized that trying to fight for any cache an approver says no to is really a lost cause, but this time it hit values I will allways fight for, I have children who deserve it.

IFISHAZ.

Now let me get this right. You got all this great passion about standing up for freedom, you are so willing to fight to the last stand to resist freedoms being taken away in this great US of A...

You have this great resource, this great energy, this perfectly good anger and stick-to-it-ness to stand up for the right thing...

...and your wasting all this perfectly good patriotic energy ON A GPS GAME FORUM??!!!!

Sheesh.

There are perfectly good passionate, people out there, forming organizations, fighting the good fight, protesting on capital steps, lobbying against government oppression, holding meetings, volunteering help for grieving families who lost their loved ones in Iraq...

...and you are wasting your time and all that nice passion and anger energy about WHAT again? A box of trinkets near an airport?

There are innumerable better 911-related causes and people who need help out there who would appreciate that inner resource of yours. In fact, I can think of several ways you can use it to alleviate certain families real pain that is happening out there.

Quit wasting your perfectly good tempest on such a little teapot.

Edited by Sparrowhawk
Well, I hope this thread gets left up thru the weekend, I have stated my case and hope more get to respond. If I was indeed rude to any I apologize, my intent is not to be rude but to fight for my case as I see it and believe it. I hope that if time is gave more will post seeing my side of view. I have long ago realized that trying to fight for any cache an approver says no to is really a lost cause, but this time it hit values I will allways fight for, I have children who deserve it.

IFISHAZ.

And I can understand that. I am not satisfied with the way the government has handled 9-11 either. But that's it...I agree completely with gc.com in this situation. They are trying to protect geocachers, not the government.

Okay. I vote ifishaz is wrong and should cease the whinging.

Show of hands?

Picture two crabby claws waving in agreement.

This part:

THEY ASKED ME NOT TO REPLACE MY CACHE IN THE SPOT IT WAS! I did not.

made me think of the boy in the back seat of the car, poking his fingers half an inch from his sister's eyeballs, saying "I'm not touching you! I'm not touching you!" until the Exasperated Parent in the front seat tells him to knock it off, and the boys defends himself by saying "But you said not to touch her, and I didn't!"

This has been an absolutely amazing thread. I had to check twice to see if I had accidently read a joke thread by mistake! I'm afraid there is no advice I could give ifishaz without them taking it as an insult. All I will say is repeating a bad idea enough times (as they have) will not make it anything but a bad idea. Find another location- the tribe has spoken.

We have a right to geocache! Cool! :anitongue:

BTW, my hand is up.

QDman,

No you have a right to freedom of travel and a right against undo arrest, search and siezure. Not that I supose it matters.

Again, go and complain to the police about that. It has nothing to do with geocaching, and therefore has nothing to do with these forums.

I would like to take this opportunity to say that I think Ifishaz is right and everyone else is wrong... I'd like to but I'd be lyin'. :anitongue:

Ifishaz, take a step back and look at the reaction your post has caused. You are fighting a losing battle. Even if you do get a couple of people to agree with you, the overwhelming majority of the people who posted think the cache placement is a bad idea. It also violates the guidelines.

If you want to fight against oppresion, just keep wandering near the airport with YOUR GPS unit. I'm sure you'll be detained soon enough.

rjb43nh,

No if you read they are temp archived while I think. That is an appropriate action for me to take as I consider if I even have interest in geocaching anymore under the rules that are used and the people that play. If I chose no longer to be in the geocache community they will be permenatly archived instead of an immature action like leaving them up for cachers to chaise when they are not there.

Now let me get this right. You got all this great passion about standing up for freedom, you are so willing to fight to the last stand to resist freedoms being taken away in this great US of A...

You have this great resource, this great energy, this perfectly good anger and stick-to-it-ness to stand up for the right thing...

...and your wasting all this perfectly good patriotic energy ON A GPS GAME FORUM??!!!!

Sheesh.

There are perfectly good passionate, people out there, forming organizations, fighting the good fight, protesting on capital steps, lobbying against government oppression, holding meetings, volunteering help for grieving families who lost their loved ones in Iraq...

...and you are wasting your time and all that nice passion and anger energy about WHAT again? A box of trinkets near an airport?

There are innumerable better 911-related causes and people who need help out there who would appreciate that inner resource of yours. In fact, I can think of several ways you can use it to alleviate certain families real pain that is happening out there.

Quit wasting your perfectly good tempest on such a little teapot.

Exactly!

Besides, you are not "fighting" the gubmint here. If you are so concerned about rights, what about the right of a small businessman to run his private company the way he wants?

Sure a customer (even a non-paying one?) can suggest what they would like to see; but ultimately the owner has to run his business the way he thinks is best.

The owners of this small business feel it is in their best interests not to list certain caches that they feel are more likely then most to be illegal, or cause bad publicity.

Maybe they are wrong, but as owners of this company it is their right to be able to make that mistake (not that I think they are wrong here).

Oh, and I'm waving both hands here too.

PS. I'm sure ya can figure out from my sig line that I spend a lot more time then most working to protect my rights. You're fighting the wrong battle here.

Edited by Mopar
I would love to visit each and every one of the cache locations submitted for my review each week. Lately I've been averaging 250 to 400 caches reviewed per month. That'd do wonders for my find count! :unsure:

I would, however, have to revise my standard form letters:

"Hello, and thank you for your new cache submission. Since I have questions about your cache, I'll need to drive there and see the [dam / airport / railroad track / courthouse / military base / elementary school] in person. As I have 15 other site visits in front of yours, please expect a delay of approximately three weeks before I'm able to get to yours. I do appreciate your patience."

In other words, volunteer cache reviewers rely on the helpfulness of the information submitted by cache owners to assist us, as well as publicly available online resources, such as maps and property ownership databases. That is the only way to review 20 caches per day and still work at a paying job.

Don't forget to send your reviewer a few extra bucks for the gas/air plane ticket/Train ticket/boat ride to check out your cache submissions. :anitongue:

Mopar,

You are very correct. As it has led me to concider if I wan't to do business with them anymore. They have full right to make the rules, I as a customer will decide if I still will shop here. Also people bash me all you want, I took a stand for what I believed. Glad to provide you all with the humor. Enjoy.