My Compass Doesnt Point North

Has the compass by any chance got a 'keyring' on it?

I once picked up a TB which had a small compass attached with a steel ring, needless to say the compass always pointed towards the ring. If your compass is indicating incorrectly there must be some ferrous material close to it.

A compass needle can be permanently affected by being exposed to a magnetic field (other than the earth's!). Just possibly being by the knife for a long time could have had some effect, but I think it would be more likely to be affected by close proximity to switched-on electronic equipment, for example a mobile phone.

I've just seen your latest post. It sounds as if the knife might have had a short-term effect which has now worn off.

I am off to the fridge for a cold one  :D

What do you mean "a cold one".

Does this make a difference if you keep your compass in the fridge?? :D

better ask Stella about my fridge, shes a bit grolschy with me since I discovered magners is "probally" the best drink in the world.

Naefearjustcider doesnt have the same ring to it :o:D

ps

the red was nice Mr Rhu and myself polished it of about a week ago along with another bottle for good measure!

Edited by Naefearjustbeer

We have two quite good quality compasses. Why do we have two? Because the first one went into "reverse". Whilst driving in a remote part of Australia we became disorientated so we set course in a particular direction knowing we should eventually hit the coast. Soon afterwards Ruth noticed that the shadows suggested we were going the wrong way. It take a lot of courage in such circumstances to accept that a compass could be wrong - if we believed it we could have ended up in serious trouble. We turned around, and eventually hit the coast..

Now it's a talking point when people visit - put them both together and watch one point north and the other south... We have no idea why it changed, but it happened overnight and we had no strong magnetic items with us...

We had a compass that we think got disorientated after being placed too near a magnetic arial .

To fix it big taf got a magnet and he stroked the magnet northwards across the compass .Needed another compass to line up north .Worked fine after that .

Edited by t.a.folk