Discouraged/ Just Venting

Howdy folks. I just wanted to vent a little bit because I'm getting a little discouraged with geocaching in general. I'm wondering if anyone else gets to feeling this way sometimes. I've had a couple of incidents that have taken the shine off the game for me and I'm wondering if I should just lick my wounds and climd back on the horse of just give it a rest fo awhile.

Incident #1: I was getting a bit tired of finding McToys and junk in general in the caches so I decide to create a unique signature item. (wish I knew how to post a picture). I've been collecting antique firecracker labels for well over 30 years and I find the artwork to be interesting. What I did was make some fridge magnets using reproductions of the antique labels (no two were alike), I also created my own "SeaScout" brand label. I would then wrap the fridge magnets to resemble a pack of flash crackers (red paper and all that), with the "SeaScout Brand" label attached. This was placed in an envelope with a paper describing the history of antique fircracker labels and the hobby of collecting them. I recieved numerous emails telling me how much people liked my sig. item and they never seemed to stay in the geocaches very long. Folks seemed to really like them. Recently I recieved an email from another cache placer. I had left one of my items in his cache and he took offense at me leaving it there. Without examining the item, he accused me of leaving a banned item, breaking general laws in 3 states, and causing a big to do. He basically tore me a new bodily orifice. I exchanged emails with him and informed him that the item was not fireworks and had he looked at the item he would have seen it was harmless fridge magnets and not among the list of banned items. We talked back and forth and settled the matter to both of our satisfaction. I made some changes to my sig item so that there isn't even the remotest possibility of it being mistaken for the real thing. (not that it was that close to begin with). The incident did leave a bad taste in my mouth though.

Incident #2: I've only placed one geocache so far. (50 Fathom of Wampup), GCP5HG. I wanted to keep it simple for my first try. As part of the clue I created a small sculpture and placed it in a garden near the cache. People responded well to the sculpture. I got good log entries concerning it and during my travels by the cache I noticed the general public seemed to admire it also. This morning I went to check on the cache and noticed that someone had decided to destroy the sculpture. They didn't just remove it, they used quite a bit of effort to completely destroy it. I'm thinking it was probably teenagers or kids that did it. That incident left me with the feeling of "why bother if people are just going to destroy the work anyhow."

Final vent: Caches with nothing but broken toys and junk at uninteresting places..... ARRRRGGGHHHH.........

Sorry for the vent. I feel better now. Maybe I'll hit some caches later today if the humidity improves and the rain holds off.

Re Item #1 if the cacher was too stupid to realize that they were not firecrackers they were too stupid to correspond with. I would have left the signature item the way it was.

Item #2 probably not geocachers that damaged the statue.

Both items were the work of a very small minority of the population. Don't let it worry you and continue to place unique signature items and caches for the rest of us who do appreciate it.

I would have to agree with the scouter. This seems to be where geocaching comes in contact with the general public. It only takes one, one bad apple, etc... Don't let this setback discourage you. We were all teenagers once :blink: But it sounds like a lot more folks got something out of your cache and sig items than the one or two morons who have no common sense.

The sig item....you got a lot of emails from people who liked the item and one email from a nut cake ruined it for you? Ignore it. He was wrong, you were right.

The sculpture....that would be distressing, but you can't leave a decorative item in your front yard without it being stolen/broken (heck someone stole our 4-wheeler, trailer and all out of our yard in broad daylight) so I'm pretty amazed your sculpture lasted as long as it did. Don't let the morons get you down.

Broken toys, junk, boring caches....join the club. All seem to be discussed here fairly often but there don't seem to be a lot of solutions. I think the only way to keep people from filling caches with junk is to only have micro caches so there is nothing but a log. My DD and DGS, however, love the junk. If I want something for myself I go to a store and buy it instead of expecting to find it in a tupperware container in the woods. I just like to look for the caches and the kids like to poke through the junk so it all works for us. I do really really hate the broken and dirty toys though. I would just as soon people left nothing as to leave a toy that I have to fight my DGS for because I don't want him to touch it.

I wouldn't give up the sig item...it sounds great to me.

Go back to your original sig item, Just do not place any in hs caches, as web scouter said, if the person is that stupid you should not even bother with him. I for one like your idea, being a pyrotechnician for 20+ years that is an item i would go out of my to find. I have some freindthat also collect fire cracker lables.

Jout go back to your first idea, you canot please everybody so why even try, just have fun and do what you want to do. Don't let the idiots of the world get you down.

Your concerns are pretty universal to most of us I think. This is not to say that they are not real - just plenty frustrating and as you said discouraging.

There is a current long thread on Geo-junk in caches. That is one of my own rants - finding junk and just as bad junk in my own caches.

I believe that just telling you that you should ignore the idiots is not much help (no disrespect meant to the tellers above) because I have been there. You got your feeling hurt. It was your statue and it got tore up (cachers or not). We put a lot of work into our caches and don't like to see our work undone. Unfortunately it was your first cache. Probably a less urban cache for your first one might have been a better idea but it sounds like fun. Can you do the same kind of thing with something that exists and is harder to destroy or was it particularly unique?

Anyway, you have my understanding, not that it helps a lot, but if you really enjoy caching, please don't let a couple idiots wreck it for you. You will likely find that there are idiots in any activity you try and will have to be dealt with. These days the only way to avoid the idiots is to stay in your house like it was a cave and 'hibernate'.

Do a search in Getting Started for posting photos. I think I searched for just 'photos' the other night when I could not remember how. If I can find it, I think I wrote up a step-by-step a while back and I'll send it to you.

cc\

Edited by CompuCash

Hang in there dude,

I am an old fart and I can tell you that everything that is truely fun comes with a price tag.

It's called anomie which is a fancy word for the concept of getting tired of something cause it has become too familiar.

If you decide to take a break don't get rid of the GPSr and keep visiting the forums.

As some of the people above me have pointed out this comes up with lots of people.

Howdy folks. I just wanted to vent a little bit because I'm getting a little discouraged with geocaching in general. I'm wondering if anyone else gets to feeling this way sometimes. I've had a couple of incidents that have taken the shine off the game for me and I'm wondering if I should just lick my wounds and climd back on the horse of just give it a rest fo awhile.

Incident #1: I was getting a bit tired of finding McToys and junk in general in the caches so I decide to create a unique signature item. (wish I knew how to post a picture). I've been collecting antique firecracker labels for well over 30 years and I find the artwork to be interesting. What I did was make some fridge magnets using reproductions of the antique labels (no two were alike), I also created my own "SeaScout" brand label. I would then wrap the fridge magnets to resemble a pack of flash crackers (red paper and all that), with the "SeaScout Brand" label attached. This was placed in an envelope with a paper describing the history of antique fircracker labels and the hobby of collecting them. I recieved numerous emails telling me how much people liked my sig. item and they never seemed to stay in the geocaches very long. Folks seemed to really like them. Recently I recieved an email from another cache placer. I had left one of my items in his cache and he took offense at me leaving it there. Without examining the item, he accused me of leaving a banned item, breaking general laws in 3 states, and causing a big to do. He basically tore me a new bodily orifice. I exchanged emails with him and informed him that the item was not fireworks and had he looked at the item he would have seen it was harmless fridge magnets and not among the list of banned items. We talked back and forth and settled the matter to both of our satisfaction. I made some changes to my sig item so that there isn't even the remotest possibility of it being mistaken for the real thing. (not that it was that close to begin with). The incident did leave a bad taste in my mouth though.

Incident #2: I've only placed one geocache so far. (50 Fathom of Wampup), GCP5HG. I wanted to keep it simple for my first try. As part of the clue I created a small sculpture and placed it in a garden near the cache. People responded well to the sculpture. I got good log entries concerning it and during my travels by the cache I noticed the general public seemed to admire it also. This morning I went to check on the cache and noticed that someone had decided to destroy the sculpture. They didn't just remove it, they used quite a bit of effort to completely destroy it. I'm thinking it was probably teenagers or kids that did it. That incident left me with the feeling of "why bother if people are just going to destroy the work anyhow."

Final vent: Caches with nothing but broken toys and junk at uninteresting places..... ARRRRGGGHHHH.........

Sorry for the vent. I feel better now. Maybe I'll hit some caches later today if the humidity improves and the rain holds off.

Hide multi-puzzle caches, only dedicated cachers seem to do those ones. And if someone steals your frist stage, it's usually a micro anyways. My idea is that jerks go around looking to make people unhappy. I.E. Incident #1 and #2. Don't give up on, just find caches for a while, hide one later and have it well planned out so that it won't get muggled, so if infact it's destroyed you'll know it was a cacher for sure.

Incident #2:  I've only placed one geocache so far.  (50 Fathom of Wampup), GCP5HG.  I wanted to keep it simple for my first try.  As part of the clue I created a small sculpture and placed it in a garden near the cache..............This morning I went to check on the cache and noticed that someone had decided to destroy the sculpture.  They didn't just remove it, they used quite a bit of effort to completely destroy it.

The thing I think alot of cachers have to realize, is that any cache, or things made or placed in connection to a cache is temporary. Every cache, no matter what, will eventually get stolen or removed. I know that eliminate the sting of someone being such A-holes, but it helps I think. Instead of morning a lost cache, or in this case a statue, enjoy it while it lasts, that's what this game is about. I've placed my caches, and I know they will be lost eventually, but already I've enjoyed them and they have been well worth the effort, for me and for others as well. You said other cachers have enjoyed the statue too, so you really have no reason to mourn. I would suggest just make another one (if possible) for the cachers to come to enjoy it, as you did and the cachers before them did.

It also helps if you realize that people are idiots. Then you aren't let down when someone does something completely stupid.

Edited by twjolson & Kay
If you decide to take a break don't get rid of the GPSr and keep visiting the forums.

uhm, I'd have to say the forums aren't exactly a safe haven either.

Not that I think that they shouldn't post here when they want to, I just think that they'll need a thick skin here too.

:blink:

Edit: triple negative

Edited by BlueDeuce

uhm, I'd have to say the forums aren't exactly a safe haven either.

Not that I think that they shouldn't post here when they want to, I just think that they'll need a thick skin here too.

B)

Edit: triple negative

I agree, but one can still lurk and get a bit of the atmosphere.

Item 1- Trust me you will find them once and a while, just take it with a grain of salt and move on. We have all had run-ins with other cachers before. It happens

Item 2- Sorry to hear that, but like other people before me, it more then likely was not a geocacher

Hang in there, if you do decide to leave, what goody gadgets do you have for sale (just kidding)

Stay tough and strong, and always, happy hunting

I have found some good caches and I have found a few mediocre caches.

So far, the sites I've visitted and the things I've learned from the good caches have far out-weighed any potential frustration of finding a mediocre cache.

"A bad day caching is better than a good day at work!"

B)

Your sig item sounds cool, I'd like to find one. and we could always use more interesting caches that incorporate fresh ideas. So, hang in there, keep coming up with good ideas, and don't get discouraged, maybe instead of making your own sculpture, go down to the home depot and get one that is easily replaced. I suspect the most difficult part of your incident was seeing your hard work destroyed, keep your sculptures in your back yard where you can keep an eye on them. Hey, create a cache that brings people to your back yard full of sculptures! put part of the coords on each one. Keep on cachin'.

Beo

Edited by beopots

We understand your frustration with item #2. Nothing worse with putting a lot of time and effort into a cache and have someone come by and destroy it. It has happened to our caches as well, but as others have said, it is usually a very small percentage of the general public who are not geocachers. Try not to let it get to you. We hope you set up your cache again...it sounds really cool! :o

As for item #1, you're never going to please everyone, and you were absolutely right when you said that if the geocacher had taken the time to actually look at your signature item (instead of jumping to conclusions), he would have noticed that he had a really cool, unique trading item in his cache for others to trade. :blink:

First folks, thanks for all the replies. Its encouraging to see that most geocachers are good people.

RE: the destroyed sculpture. Sorry if I gave the impression that I thought it was a geocacher that did it. I'm quite sure it was a muggle that did the damage. I never for a moment thought that one of "us" did it. I did go back and make some limited repairs to the sculpture. Its not perfect but its a better than the squished, stomped on, condition it was in before.

RE: my signature item. Thank you all for the encouragement. I'll be continueing to use the item as I have in the past. I hope that those that find them will enjoy them.

Looks like some splendid weather this weekend. Time for me to climb back on the geocaching horse and head out there.

Looks like some splendid weather this weekend. Time for me to climb back on the geocaching horse and head out there.

Good for you!

As a person who deals with the public on a daily basis, I can tell you, you will run into some real winners. You can only shake you head, laugh, and move on.

As for the sculpture, it's always disheartening to have idiots destroy something of yours. We have a multi that relies on a pair of bronze sculptures and one day we noticed one was missing. We asked the folks in charge and some idiot had damaged it. Considering the monies to purchase these sculpture come from donations, it no telling when it will get repaired.

As for the trading issue, there are actually two major rants I have. The trading one is handled by advocating Sissy's "Remember to always trade kindly. The person after you should be as pleased as you are" you see in my tag line. Spread it around.

My personal favorite rant is the completely uninspired caches devoid of any redeeming value except for incrementing a find count.

I'm glad you're getting back to it. Hang in there.

Illegitimati non carborundum.

I have one of Sea Scouts signature items in hand. I have to say it it extremely unique and it will be one of the signature items I show off at events.

This is one of the items I will display above my favorite geocoins. When my geocache shelf gets full this will be one of the items that stays on the shelf. Coins and buttons and cards are nice but uniqueness wins every time.