Are You Free Tuesday, July 19th?

Moun10Bike

As much as I think we should do Ebey Bluffs and Scary Ladder, I think that is further than the author wants to go (despite his stated time limits). I mentioned the other options we have been discussing and he seemed most interested in Jester's Lake to Lake multi. If that was what we did, can you think of any other caches that shuldn't be missed along the way?

By the way, "he" may actually be a "she". He has one of those indeterminate first names - "Jamie".

Here's the list of people I can determine are interested. Did I miss anyone?

In:

Moun10Bike

CENT5

lucyandrickie

Defender1

reino

Lolita

The Jester

Right Wing Wacko

Allanon

OldBaldEagle

fishiam + 1

Prying Pandora

EraSeek

hydensek

LittleBlue

Other possibles:

podlians pod

GeekGirl

Anonymous'

andrewrj

MarcusArelius

The Navigatorz

This is certainly bigger than 10-12. That means that we might need to do some culling, but then again maybe we can "stretch" the group size. In any case, don't hesitate to speak up if you are interested in joining and haven't posted yet, and please let me know if you are on the list but can't make it.

Edited by Moun10Bike
... can you think of any other caches that shouldn't be missed along the way?

Here are a few along the route:

Structuralist Geocache GCGYGQ Interesting puzzle

Are You Nuts? GCH7Q6 Evil micro

Larsen Lake GCHZZX Cute multi

Phantomime GCG4XE Straight forward trad (on route)

Spiritridge Last Splash GCPEAH Another trad (I haven't done yet)

The Lake to Lake page list others (with links!). And there are a couple of newer ones that aren't on the list.

... can you think of any other caches that shouldn't be missed along the way?

Here are a few along the route:

Structuralist Geocache GCGYGQ Interesting puzzle

Are You Nuts? GCH7Q6 Evil micro

Larsen Lake GCHZZX Cute multi

Phantomime GCG4XE Straight forward trad (on route)

Spiritridge Last Splash GCPEAH Another trad (I haven't done yet)

The Lake to Lake page list others (with links!). And there are a couple of newer ones that aren't on the list.

Those are great suggestions, Craig, and really show the variety of caching. Evil micro hide, puzzle, easy 'history' type multi (learning while caching), etc. None of them are too physical or should take too much time off the route.

Oops! Sorry! When going through the thread, I saw your first line ("Well dang, go to Minneapolis on a business trip and the cool geocaching outings fill up before you find out about them!") and my head interpreted that as a "no"! No worries, I've added you to the list.

I see. Then you skipped over the very next sentence that said "But I'd still like to be included if I'm not too late" and went straight to the Lake to Lake multi suggestion.

B)B):blink:

Thanks for including me!

I'll reiterate my (and Miss K's) interest now that a likely destination has been chosen. We spent last weekend on Whidbey Island so I'm kinda glad the group is headed the other direction. If the group is considered too large though we volunteer to cull ourselves. peace, fishiam

Here's the list of people...

This is certainly bigger than 10-12. That means that we might need to do some culling, but then again maybe we can "stretch" the group size. In any case, don't hesitate to speak up if you are interested in joining and haven't posted yet, and please let me know if you are on the list but can't make it.

I was mostly interested in doing BFH but understand the impact a large group may have on the site.

Since I have already done Jester's mulit I can cull myself unless you run short of people.

I just heard back from Jamie and we are on for Whidbey Island! :) I imagine that we will want to go directly to Scary Ladder (Light House Point) as our first stop. Shall we start talking rendezvous area? Bowman Bay Launch area (recommended parking for that cache), or something like a Park and Ride on the way up?

Also, is there anyone who is "out" if we go this route? I think we do need to make the difficult decision to trim the group.

If we decide to meet at a PnR, I have a minivan that seats 7 and a state park parking pass.

Thats a good point... Bowman bay is a state park lot, so parking will be $5.00 without a state park pass.

There are three caches that can be access from the trailhead. Lighthouse Point, The Tide Doesn't Matter, and Charyse and Ethan's Cache at Lottie Point.

There are several others in the area, but these three are accessed from the bowman bay parking area.

I just heard back from Jamie and we are on for Whidbey Island! :) I imagine that we will want to go directly to Scary Ladder (Light House Point) as our first stop. Shall we start talking rendezvous area? Bowman Bay Launch area (recommended parking for that cache), or something like a Park and Ride on the way up?

Also, is there anyone who is "out" if we go this route? I think we do need to make the difficult decision to trim the group.

Well, if it had been Bellevue, I mighta volunteered to cull, since I've done all those caches, but I've been trying to get up to Whidbey for 4 months now cos I'm dying to cache there, so you'll have to force me to stay home, I just got the day off work. :laughing:

Still can't go. :) If you get over to West Beach, I put an easy ammo box in the driftwood on the beach a couple of months ago. It was getting light on contents, however, and has had a tendency to become visible to muggles. Any word on status would be good to hear. Hope the group has fun in any case!

Seeing all the hiking mentioned, and 3+ star terrain ratings, and my over-riding desire not to slow everyone down (or be left behind), I'll also bow out.

Have fun all...

Actually, it isn't all that bad. The trail to the lighthouse is moderate. The worst part will be taking the short scramble down the bluff and then up the ladder and then back again. There's good strong roots to grab onto going down and up the bluff. And if it really makes your knees wobbly, you can at least post a DNF. Afterall, it's not really about the numbers. :)

Okay, I count 15 people who are in (I removed the "possibles" from whom I haven't heard since):

Moun10Bike

CENT5

lucyandrickie

Defender1

reino

Lolita

The Jester

Right Wing Wacko

Allanon

OldBaldEagle

Prying Pandora

EraSeek

hydensek

LittleBlue

MarcusArelius

I say we keep this group, even though it is bigger than Jamie initially suggested.

Is there a Park and Ride north of the I-5/I-405 interchange that people would recommend? That would allow Seattleites and Eastsiders to easily rendezvous without any additional distance required. I would say we meet at that Park and Ride at 7:30 AM.

Thoughts?

I'm still in, I think, but not quite so sure I can be at Scary ladder for the AM tide. I'll try though. I'm coming from Gig Harbor so please post the rendevous point when you decide. I really want to join you, if I can get there in time. Thanks !

Okay, I count 15 people who are in (I removed the "possibles" from whom I haven't heard since):

Moun10Bike

CENT5

lucyandrickie

Defender1

reino

Lolita

The Jester

Right Wing Wacko

Allanon

OldBaldEagle

Prying Pandora

EraSeek

hydensek

LittleBlue

MarcusArelius

I say we keep this group, even though it is bigger than Jamie initially suggested.

Is there a Park and Ride north of the I-5/I-405 interchange that people would recommend? That would allow Seattleites and Eastsiders to easily rendezvous without any additional distance required. I would say we meet at that Park and Ride at 7:30 AM.

Thoughts?

I count 16, unless lucyandrickie have truly beome one. :rolleyes::P:P

Thoughts?

Could also schedule a preliminary stop in Bellevue to gather together Eastsiders on the way up to a rendezvous point north of the I-5/405 merge.

As much as I'd like to go, as much as I hate to, I'll have to pass just due to the time of the meet, working the night prior and the annoying need for sleep. Have a wonderful time - don't forget to ask for a first edition signed copy of the book ! Have fun. L.

There is a park and ride here: N47 51.059 W122 15.523.

That's at exit 183, just north of the I5-I405 confluence.

7:30 there makes sense to me.

That looks like a good choice. Unless someone says otherwise, let's plan on meeting there at 7:30 AM!

Sounds good... I was going to suggest the one on 128th ST, but that one is probably just as good.

Could also schedule a preliminary stop in Bellevue to gather together Eastsiders on the way up to a rendezvous point north of the I-5/405 merge.

I think that would be a good idea. Would the SE 8th Park and Ride at 7:00 AM work with morning traffic?

Traffic is awful through there! I'm pretty sure it would take more than a half hour to go the distance between the two PnRs. I avoid that area during the morning commute so somebody else will have a better idea about how much time it is likely to take.

Cool- Whidbey Island- my favorite! I've been waiting to do those caches as well- just haven't yet because we've always been with the girls and they didn't seem like good choices with them. I will enjoy caching there without worrying about them falling off the cliffs :P ! Is there a place I can meet up with the group as it rools northward? I live in Duvall- and I have a state park pass as well.

I think that would be a good idea. Would the SE 8th Park and Ride at 7:00 AM work with morning traffic?

Traffic is awful through there! I'm pretty sure it would take more than a half hour to go the distance between the two PnRs. I avoid that area during the morning commute so somebody else will have a better idea about how much time it is likely to take.

How do you avoid SE 8th if you come up 405? Says the one closest to that P&R :P

I could haul the duck boat up and launch it at Bowman's Bay and run around the corner to the ladder area and shuttle people to No Deceipt Kayakers' Cache. Can haul 3 at a time. Could also toss a couple canoes in the mix.

The cache description says it's best at a +3 tide but I've found very few places I can't beach that rig. :P Looking at Terraserver and my charts, it shouldn't be an issue.

Or does this qualify as trying to do too much in a limited time?

If you want an "A" ticket ride. A trip in a small boat through Deception Pass at full flood will stand your hair on end. :P NO, NO, I'm not offering. Been there, Done that, Almost lost the T-shirt.

Edited by CENT5