Help Required By The Merman

Put on your thinking caps please and come up with a worthy charity that I can donate a GPS to.

I have a Garmin GPS V and I would like to give it to a worthy cause. I was thinking that it would benefit and animal rescue organisation perhaps, or possibly a charity that takes disabled people outward bound.

I am not going to give it to the Scouts or similar organisation that is well funded, I would prefer it to go to an organisation that would really benefit from owning a reasonable well specked GPS that can be used in a vehicle but is still a great tool for hiking etc.

If you know of anyone then contact me through GC.com.

Thanks

Love and Peace

The Merman

I am not going to give it to the Scouts or similar organisation that is well funded

Please don't get me wrong as I am in no way suggesting that you should donate it to the Scouts, or am I taking a pop at you for your comment, but I am very curious as to why you should think that Scouts are well funded.

I will put my cards on the table before you answer, as I am a Scout leader in a Scout group that has sufficient funds to run its weekly program and pay the bills, but no extra funds for maintenance (including a like of paint) of its HQ on council owned grounds.

As for a charity, well I'm not sure as there are so many deserving causes and it's such a personal thing, but I would suggest that you try auctioning it off on the forums (if it is aloud!) or on ebay and donating the money.

the only thing i could suggest is that our caching group are holding a durham meet on the sunday 17th july

at the meet we will be holding a raffle, tombola, quiz and a stall selling cache box boxes goodies

all of the proceeds from the meet will be going to the PDSA

I could maybe also sell tickets for a GPs and also give those proceeds to the PDSA

I know it wont be giving the item to a worthy charity, but it would be making money from the item to give to a worthy charity

mandy

I am not going to give it to the Scouts or similar organisation that is well funded

Please don't get me wrong as I am in no way suggesting that you should donate it to the Scouts, or am I taking a pop at you for your comment, but I am very curious as to why you should think that Scouts are well funded.

I will put my cards on the table before you answer, as I am a Scout leader in a Scout group that has sufficient funds to run its weekly program and pay the bills, but no extra funds for maintenance (including a like of paint) of its HQ on council owned grounds.

As for a charity, well I'm not sure as there are so many deserving causes and it's such a personal thing, but I would suggest that you try auctioning it off on the forums (if it is aloud!) or on ebay and donating the money.

I meant no offence to the Scouts with that comment, I spent very many years in the cubs and scouts.

I was thinking of those types of organisation where every penny that comes in goes out to try and keep the wolves from the door.

A year or so ago I was caching with a couple of friends and we found an injured deer. I contacted the police who gave me the number of a rescue centre. I spoke to them and offered them the lat long of my location to be informed that they did not possess a gps. Eventually they rescued the animal and it was taken to the rescue centre. I spoke with Garmin and made arrangements for them to donate a couple of units to the centre to help them to locate animals found by hikers etc.

They had no spare cash to buy GPS units as every penny raised went to feed and heal the animals they rescued.

Perhaps I will end up having to sell the unit and donate the money to a charity, but I just hoped that some soul would know of some organisation which would really benefit from a high end gps.

I spoke to them and offered them the lat long of my location to be informed that they did not possess a gps. Eventually they rescued the animal and it was taken to the rescue centre. I spoke with Garmin and made arrangements for them to donate a couple of units to the centre to help them to locate animals found by hikers etc.

Those guys at Garmin are realy something else, aren't they? :D

-

Hi there

I'm sure most have charities that they think are appropriate for this sort of generous gift my first thought is the Jubilee Sailing Trust " that aims to promote the integration of people of all physical abilities through the challenge and adventure of tall ship sailing. The JST owns and operates two tall ships, LORD NELSON, and TENACIOUS. These magnificent ships are the only two vessels in the world that have been purposely built and designed to enable a crew of mixed physical abilities to sail side by side on equal terms." Quote

A year or so ago I was caching with a couple of friends and we found an injured deer. I contacted the police who gave me the number of a rescue centre. I spoke to them and offered them the lat long of my location to be informed that they did not possess a gps. Eventually they rescued the animal and it was taken to the rescue centre. I spoke with Garmin and made arrangements for them to donate a couple of units to the centre to help them to locate animals found by hikers etc.

They had no spare cash to buy GPS units as every penny raised went to feed and heal the animals they rescued.

Oh that really upset me... :D

I love animals, be they cute cuddly ones, or wild untamed ones, and I just wish people would suport those who try to help and do good by them. They have no voice to speak out for themselves.

I would sell the GPS and donate the money to animal charity, or donate it to a countryside based animal charity - perhaps who deal in wild animals. That would keep in the spirit of caching too.

As someone who has previously worked with an independant children charity, as well as the GirlGuiding UK, I got the least response when asking for donations for a raffle for the independant charity than the Brownies or the Guides. Not sure why, but I can see where Merman was coming from.

Talking of paint though, have you spoken to B&Q about their community schemes? They offer DIY suppiles to community projects and you might be eligible. ;)

Sarah