Corn-bred Corn-fed Geocachers

Hi, I'm planning to plant my first cache here in Iowa, which I'll name "Uniquely Iowa". An important element in this cache, and the reason I seek your input, is that I'm including in the cache log a laminated "story book" of sorts, that will contain stories from geocachers (or their kin) who detassled corn for wages. (You know you're from Iowa, if your first job was detassling.....). More info on this cache, is at the IowaGeocachers.Org forum (Thread "Cache Idea, Need Your Feedback"). But whether you're from Iowa or another midwest corn-growing locale doesn't matter - I just need your detassling story.

So, if you are a geocacher, and if you (or someone close to you) have a detassling story (or detassling photos), that you can share with me, please let me know ASAP, either by PM or post to this thread.

Thanks-

-Monica

Educate the city boy. What is detassling corn?

Surprisingly, corn does not grow frozen inside little bags with instructions printed on it. Oh no, corn grows on plants in places like Iowa, Nebraska and Kansas. You see, corn doesn't like mountains, or even hills for that matter. Ever see a cornstalk in Utah? Not only does corn like growing on the plains, it invades the consciousness of children in ficticious western Nebraska towns. These children are very dangerous and will kill you if you try and take their corn away. Don't drive a yellow car through towns surrounded by cornfields.

Anyway, back to the detassling part. Many towns in the south require dancers to wear pasties. Some wear decorative tassles ...oh wait, wrong story.

Corn normally grows with a tassle, or hair, on the end of it. No one knows the purpose, but it doesn't work well in wigs. Ever seen a Nebraskan with yellow, stringy hair? These tassles are usually removed from corn before they put them in the little bags you see in the frozen food section. If you walk over to produce, you'll see ears of corn with husks and tassles intact. Most western states don't bother with tassles. They figure only adults are allowed in, so what's wrong with seeing the nipples? Oh there I go again getting my stories mixed up. Before cooking corn, or sometimes after, you take the tassle off. Don't throw away the husk though, it's very useful in making tamales, although I don't think they're all that popular in the northern states. I'm sure there's more, but you should get the gist of it by now.

The tassles are there for a purpose. When you remove a roastinear from the fire, the husks are to hot to peel, but the tassle takes the hassle out of it. It's nature's own little string opener (similiar to the string that holds a bikini top together).

BTW, the best corn comes from Indiana. :lol::lol:

Educate the city boy.  What is detassling corn?

The tassel is at the very top of the corn plant, not on the ears. It is where all the corn pollen is. Many farmers will plant alternating rows of corn in different varieties. By pulling off the tassel of variety A, it can only be pollenated by variety B, thereby creating hybrid corn.

Strangely, it IS like neutering a male dog. :lol:

Edited by sbell111
Educate the city boy. What is detassling corn?

cormai6e.gif

the tassel is that 'flowering' part that sticks out of the very top center of the plant.

detassleing is of course, going around and removing these things from the corn plants (yes every dang one). Usually the fields this is done to are planted 4-6 'female' rows , then 1-2 'male' rows, then back to female and back to male (alternating). The female rows are then detassled, there are machines that can help speed this up but even then the fields are still rechecked by human eyes. Lots of walking and its usually sunny and hot, but its not that hard to do.

The tassel is where the corn products pollen, which then floats on the breeze to the silk (that yellow hair stuff coming out the end of the ear), there it tavels to the ova? and becomes a corn kernal. The point of removing removing the tassles from a bunch of the plants is two control where the pollens coming from. The 'males' and 'females' were different varieties of corn, forcing all the pollen to be from one variety (male) should mean all the seed kernals produced (female) are half one and and half the other (crossbreed, hybreed, whatever term you want). The female tassels need to be removed from the field before they start opening and dumping pollen. And after the male tassels have opened and emptied, they're at some point cut down (since they pollened themselves those kernals are not crossbreeds).

hope that helps

Educate the city boy.  What is detassling corn?

The tassel is at the very top of the corn plant, not on the ears. It is where all the corn pollen is. Many farmers will plant alternating rows of corn in different varieties. By pulling off the tassel of variety A, it can only be pollenated by variety B, thereby creating hybrid corn.

Strangely, it IS like neutering a male dog. :lol:

dang you I spend like 5 mintues writting it out and you sum it up in like 3 sentances!! :lol:

The tassles are there for a purpose. When you remove a roastinear from the fire, the husks are to hot to peel, but the tassle takes the hassle out of it.  It's nature's own little string opener (similiar to the string that holds a bikini top together).

BTW, the best corn comes from Indiana.  :lol:  :D

We grow pretty good corn in Ohio, too! :P We'll be having the sweet variety from our garden about August! YUM!!

I believe the tassel isn't what you're referring to, septic. The tassel is on top of the stalk. The silk helps when you're shucking. :lol:

EDIT: I see someone else has already straightened that out. :D

Edited by Pipanella

As the grandson of a prizewinning NEW YORK sweet corn farmer, I concur with the helpful photo posted by Dagg and the even more detailed explanations provided by sbell111 (who also recognizes the supremacy of NEW YORK corn) and by welch.

Perhaps if there is a ever a cache theme about winemaking, we can look to Sept1c Tank for expert, accurate advice! :lol:

By the way, this is a unique cache idea. A bit "out there," but it is refreshing and rare to see something that hasn't been discussed before. That was the hidden meaning of my prior post. I do feel bad about making wvcoalcat spit up on his monitor, though, so I am sending him six White Jeep Travel Bugs to make up for that. :lol:

As the grandson of a prizewinning NEW YORK sweet corn farmer, I concur with the helpful photo posted by Dagg and the even more detailed explanations provided by sbell111 (who also recognizes the supremacy of NEW YORK corn) and by welch.

Perhaps if there is a ever a cache theme about winemaking, we can look to Sept1c Tank for expert, accurate advice! :lol:

By the way, this is a unique cache idea. A bit "out there," but it is refreshing and rare to see something that hasn't been discussed before. That was the hidden meaning of my prior post. I do feel bad about making wvcoalcat spit up on his monitor, though, so I am sending him six White Jeep Travel Bugs to make up for that. :D

Grandson? Bah!!! I'm the granddaughter and great-granddaughter of farmers and my parents own a farm that they have people farm for them (my dad used to do it). Not to mention, I LIVE in the middle of a cornfield... :lol:

We're from I-O-way, I-O-way.

State of all the land,

Joy on ev-'ry hand.

We're from I-O-way, I-O-way.

That's where the tall corn grows

Our land is full of ripe-ning corn,

Yo-Ho, yo-ho, yo-ho

We've watched it grow both night and morn,

Yo-Ho, yo-ho, yo-ho

But now we rest, we've stood the test.

All that's good we have the best

I-O-way has reached the crest,

Yo-Ho, yo-ho, yo-ho

words by George Hamilton and Ray W. Lockard,

It brings a tear to your eye, doesn't it?

Edited by BlueDeuce

More to the point, long after children were forbidden to work in coal mines and dangerous factories they were actually encouraged to go out and detassel corn. The time period to do so is limited and was at one time very labor intensive. You had to wear long sleeve flannel shirts and a cornfield in summer has an amassing ability to hold humidity.

For a 13 year old kid who has never worked before it was a right of passage and a window to the adult world in just how much working for a living could suck. Most adults have forgotten about detasseling and can only recall it through repressed memory therapy.

In Nebraska, some of the children doing the work came to live in the field and became murderous gangs. In Illinois they became Cub fans

Grandson? Bah!!! I'm the granddaughter and great-granddaughter of farmers and my parents own a farm that they have people farm for them (my dad used to do it). Not to mention, I LIVE in the middle of a cornfield... :lol:

Wow, I am sorry to learn of your troubles. First Grandma had to sell her garage, and now I learn that you are living in a cornfield. I assume you are swiping internet access via WiFi, or do you run extension cords down the furrows?

I believe the tassel isn't what you're referring to, septic.  The tassel is on top of the stalk.  The silk helps when you're shucking.  :lol:

Well shucks. The truth is I have never worked on a farm, never detasseled corn, never milked a cow or bailed hay.

But I can cook. :lol::D

Perhaps if there is a ever a cache theme about winemaking, we can look to Sept1c Tank for expert, accurate advice!  :lol:

By the way, this is a unique cache idea.  A bit "out there," but it is refreshing and rare to see something that hasn't been discussed before.  That was the hidden meaning of my prior post.  I do feel bad about making wvcoalcat spit up on his monitor, though, so I am sending him six White Jeep Travel Bugs to make up for that:lol:

uh........i spit on my monitor too! :D

Grandson?  Bah!!!  I'm the granddaughter and great-granddaughter of farmers and my parents own a farm that they have people farm for them (my dad used to do it).  Not to mention, I LIVE in the middle of a cornfield...  :lol:

Wow, I am sorry to learn of your troubles. First Grandma had to sell her garage, and now I learn that you are living in a cornfield. I assume you are swiping internet access via WiFi, or do you run extension cords down the furrows?

What's WiFi?

:lol::D:P

I'm first-generation off the farm. My grandparents had a 660 acre farm with corn, beans (i.e., soybeans for you non-Midwesterners), cows and sheep.

I've never detassled but I did spend a lot of time in my early teen years walking beans. It isn't quite as bad as detassling and you get to use a machette. :lol:

Before most everyone went no-till, corn that was raised the year before in the bean field would come up on its own and you'd have to hoe the rows between the beans to get the corn and other weeds out. We didn't use a machete here, and I never had to do it, but some of my friends did.

I'm first-generation off the farm. My grandparents had a 660 acre farm with corn, beans (i.e., soybeans for you non-Midwesterners), cows and sheep.

I've never detassled but I did spend a lot of time in my early teen years walking beans. It isn't quite as bad as detassling and you get to use a machette. :lol:

I did walk beans for a few weeks one summer. It didn't pay as much as detassling though.

I been walkin' the beans, been walkin' the beans.

I been bendin' low, no, no,

I been rippin' my jeans.

Been walkin' the beans in the burnin' sun,

And it looks like I ain't ever ever gonna get done.

Bandana on my head, I got a long-handled hoe in my hand,

You know people are afraid of hell and now I understand.

'Cause I can picture some devil from that land below,

And he's a-pushin' pigweed up from under every row I just hoed.

-Greg Brown

Brings a tear to your eye, doesn't it?

So is this cache going to be in a corn field? That would be fitting!  :lol:

Yeah, and I think I finally found a place for her. (She's been hounding me)

Although, the crops are rotated so it won't always be a cornfield, might be beans.

Edited by BlueDeuce
Before most everyone went no-till, corn that was raised the year before in the bean field would come up on its own and you'd have to hoe the rows between the beans to get the corn and other weeds out. We didn't use a machete here, and I never had to do it, but some of my friends did.

I've seen it done with hoes, too. I'm not sure why we used machetes vs. hoes. Perhaps , as a twelve of thirteen year old, it was easier to swing the machete then have to deal with a long handled hoe. Or perhaps the idea of wielding a long knife was appealing.

Perhaps if there is a ever a cache theme about winemaking, we can look to Sept1c Tank for expert, accurate advice!  :lol:

By the way, this is a unique cache idea.  A bit "out there," but it is refreshing and rare to see something that hasn't been discussed before.  That was the hidden meaning of my prior post.  I do feel bad about making wvcoalcat spit up on his monitor, though, so I am sending him six White Jeep Travel Bugs to make up for that:lol:

uh........i spit on my monitor too! :D

I spit on it twice! :P

More to the point, long after children were forbidden to work in coal mines and dangerous factories they were actually encouraged to go out and detassel corn. The time period to do so is limited and was at one time very labor intensive. You had to wear long sleeve flannel shirts and a cornfield in summer has an amassing ability to hold humidity.

For a 13 year old kid who has never worked before it was a right of passage and a window to the adult world in just how much working for a living could suck. ...

When kids no longer had the experience of working alongside their parents on a farm, or in a family-run business, they lost a valuable form of education, and a valuable part of becoming an adult. "Rite of passage" is exactly the correct phrase. Everybody pitched in and did what they could--even little kids--or it was going to be a rough winter. Most kids today haven't got a clue what that experience is like.

One question, though--why a long-sleeve flannel shirt?

The farmers around here never detassled, but we walked plenty of beans when I was a kid. I remember one hot nasty summer and a really bad field where we'd start out with 8 rows apiece and hit a bad cockle bur patch in the middle. It would take 90 minutes to go from one end to the other and we'd take a break with a big glass of iced tea and then start over again.

Temps were in the high 90's, humidity was awful, we must have drank a gallon of tea apiece those days.

And never needed to stop for a bathroom break. :lol:

Bret

One question, though--why a long-sleeve flannel shirt?

To keep from getting all scratched up and to prevent sunburn. I think long sleeve cotton was often worn too. I had friends that wore T-shirts though and just got scratched and tan/burnt. :lol:

Those "corn spiders" were fun too, huh? :lol:

Bret

For a 13 year old kid who has never worked before it was a right of passage and a window to the adult world in just how much working for a living could suck. Most adults have forgotten about detasseling and can only recall it through repressed memory therapy.

In Nebraska, some of the children doing the work came to live in the field and became murderous gangs. In Illinois they became Cub fans

Oops I guess I screwed up. I thought the Nebraska ones were supposed to become Cubs fans. I suppose it is probably too late for me to become a murderous gang member? :lol::lol::D

In my neighborhood we didn't detassle corn, we detagged buildings to make a few bucks. Business owners would pay local kids to paint over the gang markings on their buildings. I think I painted the side of a particular insurance agency 20 times over 3 summers.

Now that I understand detassling, I better understand the girl from Iowa I dated while in college. I guess you learn a lot on a farm but I'll stop here before I get myself banned. :lol: