Nurse To The Ape

Nurse Dave

What should we bring?  It looks like most of the stuff is covered, but we can bring something so that someone who is on the list for two ingredients only has to cover one, or we can bring extra of whatever we're likely to need a lot of.  More cheese/sour cream/fritos/chili?  Suggestions?

I already have the cheese and sour cream, but maybe Cent5 will appreciate it if you bring bowls and spoons since he's bringing the stove and chili pot. Check with him.

The closer to this event we get, the more I am looking forward to it! ;)

I have forks, spoons,stove,pot, stirring and serving spoon, propane, trash can, and liner (5 gal bucket), can opener (duh), table and a hot pad. Bowls would be nice as I've not had time to get them yet. Can pick them up in the AM if needed. Will check back later.

Edited by CENT5
I have forks, spoons,stove,pot, stirring and serving spoon, propane, trash can,  and liner (5 gal bucket), can opener (duh), table and a hot pad.  Bowls would be nice as I've not had time to get them yet.  Can pick them up in the AM if needed.  Will check back later.

Unless it's a 'pushbutton start' stove (as I know some are), don't forget a source of fire...it was almost a show-stopper the last time we did this at Boulder River... ;);)

Edited by Allanon

Hoping everyone had a fine 4th - gotta love the sparkly "rocket's red glare in the the dawn's early light", no? ;)

O.k. now with the Jester, Blooming Idiot and Defender1's "geofriend" (???) looks like we're talking 20 now (goodness!) so I could use some help with the chili and and the "f" word. I'm planning on whipping up a batch of (yes, gg-abode-made) chili today, so perhaps someone else could gather up a gaggle of fritos...

Oh, and did I mention... CAN'T WAIT more manana's fun!

GG, I will grab a couple of bags o Frito's, myself CavScout and Catmcommando are leaving the Tacoma area around 6 am, we are going to go do silver peak first then drive to the Hyake parking area and hop on the Bikes and we hope to meet you all at the cache, but being on bikes we should be able to meet up with you all. Let me know if you need anything else's. Also if anyone else wants in on our early expidition give me a shout we still have room in Robs big ol SUV at least 2 seats and room for at least 2 more bikes. Looking forward to seeing everyone tomarrow.

What's the one-way walking time? I have kids I need to deliver to orthodontist by 1:30 (I'm not that evil - my wife made the appointment). I'm tempted to leave earlier and pass everyone somewhere on the trail, or just wait until later. Any guesses what a fast walk would be?

Unless it's a 'pushbutton start' stove (as I know some are), don't forget a source of fire...it was almost a show-stopper the last time we did this at Boulder River...  ;)  ;)

As a matter of fact it is a pushbutton ignition however being a dying breed ( A smoker.) I typically don't have a problem making fire wherever I go. ;)

Made it to 97 today so I am SET TO GO!!!!!!

Not to mention a wee bit PUMPED !!!!!

What's the one-way walking time? I have kids I need to deliver to orthodontist by 1:30 (I'm not that evil - my wife made the appointment). I'm tempted to leave earlier and pass everyone somewhere on the trail, or just wait until later. Any guesses what a fast walk would be?

It is at least five miles round trip and may be closer to six. Doesn't sound too good for making a 1:30 appt.

Unless it's a 'pushbutton start' stove (as I know some are), don't forget a source of fire...it was almost a show-stopper the last time we did this at Boulder River...  B)  B)

As a matter of fact it is a pushbutton ignition however being a dying breed ( A smoker.) I typically don't have a problem making fire wherever I go. B)

Made it to 97 today so I am SET TO GO!!!!!!

Not to mention a wee bit PUMPED !!!!!

Yea... but at Boulder River the smokers were at the back of the pack! B)

GG, I will grab a couple of bags o Frito's, myself CavScout and Catmcommando are leaving the Tacoma...

Great, thanks Defender1 (and btw, who's "Catmcommando"???), but w/ near 20+, we'll likely need another bag or two. TerribleT's - can you bring a couple bags as well?

I've now got a BIG pot of casa-made chili on the stove (amazingly, I found a recipe for "Chili for Frito Pies" on the web - enough to allegedly feed 24. Only dilemma now is a big enough container(s) to tote it...

CENT5 and I are set to leave here at 9 am. I remain confused as to what time and precisely where we'll all meet up, but shall trust that the cinco centavo lad has been briefed on these high level details... B)

[quote name=(and btw' date=' who's "Catmcommando"???)

[/quote]

He's my friend from work, This will not be his first cache, but he just started logging his finds under that name, hes a Catm Troop, thats what we call firearms instructors in the AirForce it means Combat Arms Teacher/Maintence. Hes the one Cavscout called my "GeoFriend" I can only imagaine the thoughts that could lead to, I'll be sure and thank Roy.......... B) If you need us to grab more chips or anything else just say the word, I'm looking forward to your Chili.

CENT5 and I are set to leave here at 9 am.  I remain confused as to what time and precisely where we'll all meet up, but shall trust that the cinco centavo lad has been briefed on these high level details...  :(

10:30

Iron Horse State Park parking lot. Coordinates are posted on the cache page of Iron Horse (East) which was linked earlier.

The Land Rover group will be somewhat earlier as we will be leaving Newcastle about 8:15 so we can do some caching on the way. As long as there are no screws on the road!!

:huh:

I didn't go either -- with kids' dentist apptmts, I thought about going early, or going late, but bagged it in the end. Depending on what they left, I might try to free some time for Saturday, if others interested. Otherwise, I'll watch for the next group planning.

Yep, we made it, and had a lot of fun! Now we're in our hotel in Seattle recovering. :o

I am glad I was able to meet all of you new folks. The Seattle area crowd is very friendly! Thanks for feeding us and keeping us company. That's quite a hike! :unsure:

(I logged today's caches from my Sidekick II phone. I love that thing. Maybe I'll let ND use the laptop now to log them.) :o

What a fun run. #100 at the APE cache. Wadda CACHE!!!! Great day all around topped of with my 1st Frito Pies. Its doesn't get much better than this type of day. Good People, Awesome cache, Awesome tunnel. Great food. Tough to top.

Thanks for getting the ball rolling on this Nurse Dave and beckerbuns.

I agree with CENT5...it was a banner day! Good food and good company are hard to beat. Even though I had already been to all the caches, it was fun to spend time with the usual cast of characters and meet some new people, too.

After lunch we followed the LandRover group up to Prayer Flags and The World As Runhills Likes to See It (again, we've been there, but it was fun to tag along!). From there we popped over to View Cache and onward to Geocache GCD (well, actually, only the Jeep headed towards GCD; a LandRover couldn't make it over the little bump and through the ditch :unsure: ). I wasn't dressed for what I thought was going to be a really long hike up to GCD, so I waited in the nice warm Jeep. It only took the Reino and CavScout an hour to get there and back, but they sure were wet and cold upon their return!

Hey CENT5, congrats again on your #100!

Edited by GeekGirl

Thanks for the great time. We're sorry we had to run off after the Ape cache. Our other car was in the shop and we needed to pick it up before the shop closed. My cell phone rang while we were in the tunnel on the way back, it was the shop was letting us know that our car was ready. I didn't expect to have any signal in the tunnel.

It was great seeing and meeting all of you. The frito pie was delicious. Scout slept all the way back home. We think we wore him out.

Terrible Ts

What a great day, I had a blast. Cent5 hit 100 today Congrats. Got to roll in Reino and GeekGirls Jeep on the way to second half of the day caches, that was a lot of fun, I choose to sit the last cache of the day out and chill with GeekGeek while Reino and CavScout faced the mountain and weather. Also unless I'm mistaken I belive GeekGirl Quietly hit 300 today! WAY TO GO.

I have to admit that this day was well spent with some great geocachers. Hats off to Nurse Dave for getting everyone together for the Ape cache. Thanks to Reino and Geekgirl for driving me and Defender1 around to some of the caches located high up in the mountains.

The four main caches for the trip were already listed in my found list, but I still snagged nine caches today. What a trip walking through the tunnel with that bunch of cachers. Prying Pandora, Land Rover, K7Wave and myself did several more up in the hills. For a few of those we had the company of Reino, GeekGirl, CavScout and Defender 1. Thanks to the radios we were able to avoid either having our three vehicles or Jester's back up. Jester was kind enough to wait for us to come down from The World As Runhills Sees It before he and Bloomin Idiot went up.

Good destinations, good food, good company, good fun! :rolleyes:

Before meeting up for the tunnel walk, LandRover tried to find a shortcut to Lucy and Rickie's new caches on Lake Keechelus, but we ended up here instead. What a view!

9e1b732f-dd32-480b-86bf-f39bfffca4d6.jpg

Cent 5 found his 100th cache.

d2228203-ec24-4144-9e54-097be8493709.jpg

The frito pies afterward were delicious!

4eeef95e-3e07-4af8-9cd4-a869b3b9e754.jpg

We all love our Sahara Pants, don't we?

bfdbd391-ea09-432e-b8e0-4ed9771e378d.jpg

L-R Lindalu, GeekGirl, Blooming Idiot, GlobalGirl

Edited by Prying Pandora

This was a fun time. We (Blooming Idiot & I) only picked up a couple of new caches, but the day was more about socializing with others.

PICT0413.jpg

Most of the group just outside the tunnel.

PICT0419.jpg

Getting ready to feed the "mob"

PICT0421.jpg

The "better" view of the ladies

PICT0422.jpg

The view from "The World as Runhills Likes To See It" - I told you I could take that mini-van just about anywhere!

Thanks everyone for a fun day!