Under Water?

There was one we did in New Zealand that used a waterproof torch as the cache container. This one was tied to a weight in a decorative irrigation channel, but it could've gone anywhere underwater.

Ammo cans are pretty immersion-proof, but you need somewhere dry nearby for finders to open them without getting water in them.

Waterproof match containers make good underwater waypoint holders (or micros, I guess) and I plan to use one or two as soon as I find some suitable water.

(Living in one of the drier areas of the driest continent has some drawbacks!)

well since the fourm is on underwater caches

what kind of containers do some of you use

i'v heard ammo cans , waterproof torchs , match containers.

Why i am asking is i am trying to place a cache in a lake close to my house, And one on a sand bar that is some times underwater.

All the tests that i have tryed failed due to to water getting in the (waterproof) box i was useing. So much for there claim on it being water proof,

And the ammo cans rust in the salt water, I know this due to having placed a test ammo can just off the beach...

And the other problem i have is trying to make them sink they like to float

and i don't want it to be to heavy to lift off the bottom!!!

Any ideas??

Why i am asking is i am trying to place a cache in a lake close to my house, And one on a sand bar that is some times underwater.

All the tests that i have tryed failed due to to water getting in the (waterproof) box i was useing. So much for there claim on it being water proof,

And the ammo cans rust in the salt water, I know this due to having placed a test ammo can just off the beach...

Any ideas??

The lake near your house is a salt water lake?

well the lake is fresh water at least the last time i drank some of it (bad idea):rolleyes:

i was about 6 at the time...

But the other place is out on a sand bar in a river feed by the Ocean. The water is a bit salty in till you get about say 1/2 mile up the river past were i was going to place the cache

Edited by Charles Iverson

All the tests that i have tryed failed due to to water getting in the (waterproof) box i was useing.  So much for there claim on it being water proof,

Any ideas??

Forget about using a waterproof box and use waterproof paper and if you include trade items, make sure they are waterproof.

Or

Place coordinates underwater pointing to a cache on dry land.

<<< putting on flameproof suit, flame away >>>>

Edited by briansnat

1NatureDad made one~ he's a plumber :rolleyes:

*3 inch PVC pipe

*cement the bottom with a large eye hook in the middle for weight & to tie one end of the rope to.

*Marque plug for the top (this type you can unscrew with your fingers quite easily)

*Spray painted with primer

*toss in & tie 4foot+ rope to tree trunk on river bank, she'll sink.

~holds small trade items & log book~

Well i can get end caps but now i just need to find clear 3 inch pvc pipe

From what i have read, the clear "PVC" pipe ic actually lexan, and not as easy to come by.

I have an ammo can going on week three of waterproof testing under 3 feet. I checked on it after one week and it was bone dry.

Laminate half sheets of paper to use as the log. You can sign with a sharpie

Being a scuba diver I have considered placing a cache in another popular dive spot at a nearby lake. I have thought about using some type of mesh containers, something like strawberries comes in. I would wire tie the back side together and use something to close the front so it could be opened. No it wouldn't be water-proof but I am thinking of making it some type of plastic item exchange. For a log book, there are dive slates that you can write on underwater.

Although not a cache, there's a piece of chalk board down at 130' at that same lake where people sign their name, hometown, date, depth and water temp. It's always interesting to see where people are from that visit and sign that slate.

Had no luck finding clear pvc pipe

so i called one of my friends and he hooked me up with 4 inch Diameter thick walled pvc ( Conduit )the stuff they use for water mains

its gray but o well i can live made both of my caches in one shot!!!

just got done with water testing and they are air/water tight to as deep as i can go or till the pvc fails

so i called one of my friends and he hooked me up with 4 inch Diameter thick walled pvc ( Conduit )the stuff they use for water mains

just got done with water testing and they are air/water tight to as deep as i can go or till the pvc fails

Word of caution. PVC pipe ends tend to stick when over tightened and become impossible to remove with out a tool. Another issue. is that you wind up with a cache that looks like a pipe bomb. Not a good idea in todays climate.

I guess these would be fine underwater, but please, please don't place them where they might be encountered by non geocachers. If they go in the woods, put them far from the trail and hide them well.

I don't know about Otter Boxes, but Pelican Cases don't work. We have a submerged cache, and even a combination of a Pelican Case and a kayakers dry bag didn't keep water out. In the end, we went the route that someone else has already suggested -- waterproof paper. To this, we added a waterproof pen -- both from Rite in the Rain. REI sells the paper; so does Groundspeak. We got both paper and pen from a local archaeological supply company. Under sustained immersion, both performed extremely well.

Here's the cache:

The Night Country

Now, let me take a closer look at those PVC tube ideas...

bump to above post

Chucky, you bumped a 1 minute old post?????????????????????????????????? WTF?

Looks like a pipe bomb to me. A geocaching sticker might help but bomb squads like to blow things up so I doubt that would stop them.

The system made two of the same post....

so i had to bump one of them..

and yes the caches were made to be underwater and thats were they will be!!!

why would i make them water proof with a eye hook on them then???

i'm not that kind of person.. so don't even think it

and they are still having work done to them

so any ideas throw them out now...

Edited by Charles Iverson