Geocaching May Be Outlawed In Sc

I'm working closely with Sissy (of Sissy and CR), trying to recruit help to keep the ludicrous SC anti-caching law (HR 3777) from passing. If ANY of you have time to do some research, please email me at teeking @ sc.rr.com or Sissy at scsissy @ sc.rr.com (remove the spaces in the addresses) and either she or I will email you a little later with details on how you can help. And we NEED your help! Thanks so much for your time.

Mods, please allow the threads I'm starting in several topics to remain open; time is short and we have work to do. We need as many readers as possible. Thanks in advance.

I fully support this law as I have seen damage done to places where micro geocaches were located w/o the persmission of the owner. Since geocaching.com does not require anyone to submit proof that permission was gotten, I have no problem with a law that restricts geocaching in historical places w/o permission. If I get off work, I'll be there on May 31 to support the passage of this law.

I fully support this law as I have seen damage done to places where micro geocaches were located w/o the persmission of the owner. Since geocaching.com does not require anyone to submit proof that permission was gotten, I have no problem with a law that restricts geocaching in historical places w/o permission. If I get off work, I'll be there on May 31 to support the passage of this law.

Then as a show of good gesture why not remove all your finds from your logs that fall under the areas the bill wants to protect.

Edited by geoholic28
I fully support this law ... If I get off work, I'll be there on May 31 to support the passage of this law.

Do you support having to have permission from the land manager in order to look for the cache also? Are you willing to possibly break the law when you go out to find a cache?

On second thought, don't answer me here. You were off-topic and so am I. Take it to the other thread. :laughing:

I fully support this law ...

Perhaps if you had seen the video of the testimony, you would not be so eager to jump in their corner. The representative (Ceips) who pushed passage of this bill used a series of half-truths and misinformation to convince the House to pass it. I don't know if this was intentional or just another misguided politician doing what she thought was "right", but it was hog-wash just the same.

I fully support this law ...

Perhaps if you had seen the video of the testimony, you would not be so eager to jump in their corner. The representative (Ceips) who pushed passage of this bill used a series of half-truths and misinformation to convince the House to pass it. I don't know if this was intentional or just another misguided politician doing what she thought was "right", but it was hog-wash just the same.

Its called we are her scapegoats

I'm curious...do you have written permission for the historical cache you adopted, Boza 7? Did you have permission for the now-archived Lexington's Memorial Cache? I'm merely wondering why you would hide or maintain caches in historic areas if you're against them. If I understand all the intricacies of this bill, it might also make searching for your Little Peachtree Rock Software Exchange cache illegal. I can honestly say that your proposed action of supporting this bill makes no sense to me whatsoever.

I don't know if this was intentional or just another misguided politician doing what she thought was "right"
I am giving Rep. Ceips the benefit of the doubt. I believe she would not intentionally lie to pass legislation. The problem from the begining has been communication. Rep. Ceips has been misinformed by her constituents and her staff. As Ambassadors to geocaching it is our job to tell the truth and educate unknowing people about our hobby.

If this is off topic I'll move or delete this entry.

I am giving Rep. Ceips the benefit of the doubt. I believe she would not intentionally lie to pass legislation.

You're being too kind. Her "errors" were pointed out to her, yet she continued to spew that bilge in front of her colleagues.

Anyway, Pye, let me know what I can do, if anything. I know us out of staters don't have a lot of say in this matter, but we'll do what we can.

Edited by briansnat

Any place of public accomodation is a valid place for geocaching. Permission is a general issue and not specific to any one location type. Nor should it be.

Pye, email me what you need and I'll see what I can do. I've asked you for enough help.

I pray a ridiculous law doesn't pass here in Utah. I think there are more important issues at hand, then to ban some hikers with a GPS. It's not complicated...don't trespass, The percentage of caches that are wrongfully placed is very small, and I'm willing to bet that no one intentionally places or finds a cache trying to trespass.

Add me to that list. I don't know what I can do from here, but I would certainly appreciate being kept up-tp-date on a law like this. One should keep in mind that simply being "passed" by the legislature is far from the final word on any bill becoming law. I don't know how solid the organization of cachers is where you are, but i would hope that each and every one of them would be eager to be heard on this topic. Legislators have this bad habit of only listening to their constituents when it becomes politically too costly not to.

"You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing....after all other possibilities have been exhausted." Winston Churchill

I just heard on the radio that SC tabled a decision on a bill that would increase the mandatory sentence for domestic violence from 30 days to 5 years.

Amazing that geocaching is even a topic of conversation, let alone an actual bill yet, they are fine with a more lenient law regarding wife beating.

I wish you all the best of luck. If there's something I can do to help, I'll be happy to do it.

Edited by JMBella

I have enjoyed some of the hides in S.C. It disturbs me to see that geocaching once again is portrayed as something harmful. While I understand the concern for historical sites, there's hopefully a reasonable way to handle the concerns. So what happened?

Are you really a cacher?? If so your obviously very uninformed...Just like anyone else who would support such a bill

Edited by Mvillian