PDA software

rap_ptor

I saved links to four programs that seemed interesting. Two are logs (one mentioned above I think), one GeoClippings to put the cache information into the visor rather than printing everything (I haven't tried it yet) and a hint decoder program (my favorite - I hate decoding in the field).

http://homepage.floodcity.net/users/bumpski/geocachelogbook.htm

http://vip.hyperusa.com/~dougs/geocachingdb/geocachingdb.htm

http://home.earthlink.net/~rschoolf/geoclipping.htm

http://www.palmgear.com/software/showsoftware.cfm?prodID=29696

Shoebox

Ok 2 things first, will the visita or ledgend ever be able to download and hold cache pages? Can it be done now?

Second I've been looking for a link to a webpage I saw a while back, i thought it was clayjars but thatsa not working...It use to listed questions on how to rate your cache for difficulty..Any of you geoexperts know where i can find that?

Thanks Again

See you in the woods!

Natureboy1376

quote:
Originally posted by rap_ptor:

Hey, I have a Handspring Deluxe and I'd like to use it for geocaching. Can any of you recommend some usefull apps for it. Thanks

I've been using Mobipocket successfully since the pocket query generator was introduced. It has served me well even though it has some inconvenient short-comings. We are seeing more apps now that pocket queries are available in GPX format. I read in this thread about gpx2html which neatly takes gpx format queries, converts them to html pages (sample) for each cache and then exported to your Palm device via Plucker.

The resulting package on my Palm allows me to sort the list by either cache ID or by cache name. The "find" feature is much faster than Mobi and the "hint" link takes you directly to the decoded hint. Advanced options include the ability to create a cache list sorted by distance from any point. I set one up for 'home' and 'work'.

I highly recommend trying it. You won't be disappointed.

Cheers, Olar

"You are only young once but you can stay immature forever"

I have a Clio SL10 and was using Mobipocket but found the query function to be cumbersome and frustrating. I tried Geoclipping (see link above)and it was far superior in accessing a particular page and reading it, but clipping each page certainly is a pia. I'll stick with Geoclipping for awhile, I like the idea that it doesn't involve downloading and setting up any special software on my PDA.

quote:
Originally posted by Natureboy1376:

Ok 2 things first, will the visita or ledgend ever be able to download and hold cache pages? Can it be done now?

Second I've been looking for a link to a webpage I saw a while back, i thought it was clayjars but thatsa not working...It use to listed questions on how to rate your cache for difficulty..Any of you geoexperts know where i can find that?

Thanks Again

See you in the woods!

Natureboy1376

The Legend and Vista will NOT hold web pages. You will need a PDA for that. Garmin now makes a PDA with GPS and software built in.

Check Markwell's FAQ to see if that is what you were looking for.

"It's free advice and worth every cent."

icon_confused.gif

I am trying to use GPSBabel (the GUI interface - I'm a little too scared/stupid to try the other way icon_rolleyes.gif) to convert a geocaching.com gpx file to the Geocaching Database file format for DougsBrats GeocachingDB.

Do I need to specify a file type extension, and if so, what is it?

When I run the conversion, I get a meesage saying the conversion is completed, followed by a windows error message closing GPSBabel. The file GPSBabel has created is named correctly but contains 0 bytes of information.

Ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Shane

quote:
Originally posted by sbukosky:

The #1 use of a PDA is to carry cache pages and hints with you. Become a premium user and you will have that function enabled. The software needed is free at Mobipocket.com

I agree that a PDA is a good tool to use to carry cache pages and hints.

You do not need to be a premium member of this site to use your PDA to carry cache pages and hints with you in the field. For each cache I plan to visit, I saved the page to a directory that is uploaded to my PDA. I use IE on my PDA and read these static pages just as I would on this or any other site.

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

Hard to believe the website can continue too long without support. So many come and go.

Why not just become a member to help support the websites efforts to provide the info your feeding to your PDA.

$ 30 is a very fair amount and hopefully it will help the site stay online and healthy...

quote:
Originally posted by maleki:

Hard to believe the website can continue too long without support. So many come and go.

It is not my task to help this site grow.

It is to everyone's benefit for there to many different websites housing geocache coordinates. Deferring to GC.com is adding to a branding of this site as geocaching. That hurts all geocachers.

FWIW, I stated that one does not need to be a premium member to save cache pages to a PDA.

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

quote:
Originally posted by ShaneN4Girls:

icon_confused.gif

I am trying to use GPSBabel (the GUI interface - I'm a little too scared/stupid to try the other way icon_rolleyes.gif) to convert a geocaching.com gpx file to the Geocaching Database file format for DougsBrats GeocachingDB.

yes,

the extension should be ".pdb"

"geocaching database" format

icon_biggrin.gif

If you don't see the format then you don't have the latest version, there was some confusion when I D/l'ed it too. icon_eek.gif

More rules = Less fun!

ntga_button.gifgeocachingdb_button.gif

quote:
Originally posted by ShaneN4Girls:

icon_confused.gif

I am trying to use GPSBabel... to convert a geocaching.com gpx file to the Geocaching Database file format for DougsBrats GeocachingDB.

Shane

I updated my site and included a screen shotgpsbabel2.gif

More rules = Less fun!

ntga_button.gifgeocachingdb_button.gif

I tried to do the conversion the way you just explained it...

I get an error message shutting down GPSBabel - error with gpsbabel.exe and ModName ntdll.dll ??? whatever that means. I deleated gpsbabel from my computer, restarted, and downloaded and re-installed it, and got the same error.

It's not a hurry thing with me. As soon as I get this figured out and working, I'll get with you about buying your upgrade.

Thanks for the time anyway!

Shane