Evil Log File

djhobby

I posted this log for a cache earlier today and then reposted thinking I was a little harsh. I have found dozens of caches by this person and have liked them all until now. I posted this complaint then realized how many hours of enjoyment I have gotten out of this guys other caches so I recanted. But I would still like to get it off of my chest. I wonder if other cachers hold back or just let it rip. Here's my original post:

This is probably the worst case of a micro going. Drive out to the middle of nowhere, walk way out in the middle of nowhere, bushwack for a half mile, and there it is, a micro surrounded by the same f*&^ing forest you have been walking though for an hour. Not only that but the film container was stuck way down in the roots of a tree in a knot hole just big enough for the container and not your hands holding the container. Took about 10 mins to retreive after we found it. I filled the hole in halfway so at least the next poor soul can retrieve the cache. Sorry to rant and rave, I know these things are voluntary, and someone took the time to do something for me to try and enjoy I just needed to vent. I probably needed the excersise anyway.

I pretty much let r rip. I know I've been a little too harsh in some of the posts but they were going at our local whiner and I made the cache owner aware of the reason for my post. I've also found a cache that was less than 25' from an active railroad track and an approver even said it was a great cache. I guess I'm just a little too outspoken sometimes?

I posted this log for a cache earlier today ...

...realized how many hours of enjoyment I have gotten out of this guys other caches so I recanted.

Do you realize that the owner of that cache still recieved your first log in an

e-mail.

I wonder if other cachers hold back or just let it rip.

For the most part I hold my Tongue, but in this case I will turn it lose for a moment.

Here's my original post:

This is probably the worst case of a micro going.  Drive out to the middle of nowhere, walk way out in the middle of nowhere, bushwack for a half mile, and there it is, a micro surrounded by the same f*&^ing forest you have been walking though for an hour.  Not only that but the film container was stuck way down in the roots of a tree in a knot hole just big enough for the container and not your hands holding the container.  Took about 10 mins to retreive after we found it.

The title of the cache pretty much explains what to expect. Micro in the Woods IX . I suppose you would have rather walked 2 feet from your car and grabbed it off of a guardrail?

I filled the hole in  halfway so at least the next poor soul can retrieve the cache.

This I consider poor conduct. The hider put it where he did because thats how he wanted it and imho moving or altering someones hide to suit your own idea of how it should be hidden is WRONG!

Sorry to rant and rave, I know these things are voluntary, and someone took the time to do something for me to try and enjoy I just needed to vent.  I probably needed the excersise anyway

Please consider yourself ranted and vented. Everyone needs to do that once in awhile including myself. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to do so.

~Shaggy~

I hope I didn't sound to bitter, but he has only been caching for a month and has no hiding experience. Sheesh!

Edited: for additions and spelling.

Edited by Shaggy of Mysteries Inc

I have made note before in logs of a micro in the woods and suggested a full size container. At the same time, I enjoyed my hike and noted that too. So I guess I did a combo log that was part suggesting something else and also noting my fun too (because I still liked the hike in, even though I would have prefered a normal container there).

I prefer full size trading caches in the woods also, but in this hiders case he lets you know ahead of time what to expect. He also was the first in the area to try something like this(micro in the woods). It is quite a different challenge to look for something so small and well hidden in the woods.

I don't like micros hidden 5 feet from the parking area on a guardrail or under a trash can in a park, but if I get the caching urge and thats what is nearby thats what I hunt and I am at least a little bit grateful that they placed it. I guess what I am trying to say is that I don't rant or vent in the cache logs.

~Shaggy~

I generally don't care for micros in the woods. In most cases putting a micro where a regular cache can be hidden is just laziness on the part of the owner.

That being said, because I knew ahead of time what I was in store for,I would have just enjoyed the hike and thanked the owner in my log.

Edited by briansnat

There was a time we went after a cache , could have been FTF on it as well . But it was on Private Property (not that that is a real problem as long as permission was granted).

The kicker is this was in a private back yard in a city with many other homes around it and a Train Track not 50' from the location. Wherein just one city block north of the area was a beautiful cemetery , and down the street maybe 2 blocks was a beautiful park with some walking trails.

First impression , was we couldnt be sure who's backyard we were wondering in as there was no fences between the yards . Secondly we thought the cache probably could have very easily been placed in a much much better location .

We did not claim an FTF on it instead we kept on drving that day onto the next cache.

We did however log a note on the cachers page stating our feelings , and we werent harsh really , just suggested that he could move it really easily to an area that was very close yet more cachers might be more comfortable in the hunt.

This was this persons first cache and we were trying to be helpfull.

However this person simply deleted our note .

Eventually someone braved wading in though and found the cache , and others followed.

However some of the other cachers that found it thereafter expressed the same concerns. But they did find and log this cache. We however have chose not to return to this cache. It still seems like a bad Idea to us . Here is a Link to the cache for those that are interested.

Shady Rest

Edit to add: If you look at the placers stats , they have only placed one cache and have logged no finds.

We also often have very breif logs on caches ... not because we didnt enjoy them. But simply because sometimes we write so many logs at one time ! On top of that if Wulf is the one writing the Logs he is just usually short and to the point , he's a great talker in person but not so good at writing stuff down !

Star

Edited by Team Tigger International

We had one series in Florida called the tree frogs (since archived). It had 6 micros in the woods with clues to a final that was a trading park & grab. It was a difficult but fun series, and sometimes we enjoy the hikes. There are some pretty forests down here. The initial owner of the cache moved from the area and the adopter archived the series after the micros, as well as their homes, were destroyed by Team Hurricane's caching adventure in Florida.

I've gone after a few less than stellar caches. If I have a problem, I'll email the owner to let them know about it. If it's an issue with a questionable location, like private property, then I'll post it online as a tip off to others.

As far as the short logs my lovely Star has mentioned, often a cache hunt wasn't that noteworthy to me. This isn't necessarily a negative, just that there was nothing I felt worth mentioning. 'Parked the bike and walked 1/4 mile down trail to fallen log and found cache. Looked at McToys, signed log, rehid cache and left.'

Wulf

I wonder if other cachers hold back or just let it rip.

I generally write something about my experience in the online cache logs, and if I have a bad time, I usually say so, although I don't think I personally would have had a problem with that cache you posted the log to. I'm not really picky about container size, and like the variety.

--Marky

I was with djhobby that day and we were on a good pace. we got 11 or 12 caches in maybe 3 hours or 4. We came upon this one and we didnt realize that the two caches out in the middle of nowhere to be found. Plus one cache was in a tree in the middle of the woods. the other one was by an old cematary. we were gone looking for 2 caches a total of 3 hours. 3 hours we found 2 caches. the 3 hours before that we found 11 or 12. it wasnt the best site wed ever seen.