Pda

jaybird0031

I am trying to get some info about how folks are using their PDAs with geocashing. I have tried searching on PDAs and personal data assistant but have failed to get any hits.

Thanks for you help.

J

before i get nailed, I did get 3 hits about paperless caching

Edited by jaybird0031

I am surprised you didnt get any hits. There are plenty of postings on PDAs. But anyways, I use a Palm Zire with 2mb. I have Cachemate on it that only costs 7 dollars. Cachemate allows me to have all the things you see on a cache page plus the last five postings. It has a decoder function to decode any hints on the cache as well. I carry it with me when i cache just in case I get stumped and need to read the information on the cache again or want to use the hint. I download or manually put in the coordinates into my gps. Thats how I use mine. :laughing:

I have a pretty old Casiopeia which I wasn't using for anything else. Last weekend I managed to do this:

downloaded GSAK to my laptop

joined as a premium member and ran pocket queries, which I then opened in GSAK

had GSAK export as HTML

copied these files over to my PDA

opened the files using Internet Explorer on the PDA as and when I needed them in the field!

I tried using isilo and spinner and I didn't find they got me anywhere :laughing: I'm not too technically minded. But the html output from GSAK gives you a nice menu, and you can search by name, waypoint, distance etc. Used the system for the first time on my last trip out, and it was much better than carrying reams of paper! :>

Paperless geocaching is great. I use a dell ax5 with gps sonar which works great. The extras that you need to make it work better

1.a dc power cord to plug your pda in to the car between caches.

2. and this will save you get a hard case for your pda. I use a rino skin and it has saved my pda more then once. plus I can carry it in my back pocket.

3. pay your money and become a premium member of geocaching not only will the downloads that you get with the membership help you but you will be supporting a great group.

hope thiis helps :laughing:

I have two PDA one with a GPS CF in it in the car for navigation. The other in a rugged case that I use to store .gpx files on and use for paperless caching with my GPSr in the field. That is about it. I prefer the PPC to Palm units for ease of use, I have a Palm too and it was to much work to put .gpx files on so I use my PPC. That is about it I guess. I use GSAK EasyGPS and GPSView.

cheers

I am trying to get some info about how folks are using their PDAs with geocashing. I have tried searching on PDAs and personal data assistant but have failed to get any hits.

A tip for searching. The search defaults to items in the last 30 days so if you change the settings to today and older you'll have better results. Unfortunately these settings are not sticky so you'll have to remember to change them for each search.

I use a Dell Axim x50v with CF card GPS and Memory-Map Navigator software. It works great, gives me wonderful maps and lets me store the cache information (which I get from GSAK), as well. The new DOQQ (satellite image) maps that are out there make it very easy to figure out the terrain in a completely strange area. It also helps to pick out things like old building foundations, old structures and unusual terrain features. (All good hiding spots for caches!) I do use an Aquapac PDA case to keep dirt and water out of the Axim, but it lets me use the PDA right through the case.