How Do You Put Music On Your Cache Listing?

monroe gang

The forum users HATE autoloaded music on a cache page. To the extent that we represent cachers at large, just say "no."

It is acceptable to put a link to the music, or a button that allows music to be heard, so that the user can choose to hear it. Search the forums for "music" and you should find a post with coding to add a button.

Many people access cache pages from places where having music play would be inappropriate. 

In which case they shouldn't have sound turned on on their computer. :huh: If you want to stop the music all you have to do it hit the Stop button in your browser.

I certainly agree that gratuitous music on any web page is undesirable but if it is an essential part of the cache puzzle then I believe it should be acceptable as in A 440.

On the technical point, the <BGSOUND> tag is Internet Exploder specific and does not work in other browsers - the standard way to do it is to use the <EMBED> tag but that is not permitted on cache pages so you do need to work around by providing a link for those users if the music is necessary.

Please no ice cream truck cache pages.

In the days of hit-and-miss Web design, someone came up with the idea of using a MIDI music file playing in the background on a website, seeing this as a great opportunity to share musical likes with anyone visiting the site. Despite having the quality of ice cream truck music, it is pretty presumptuous to think every visitor wants to have music on the page. Later on Flash components (and even talking banners) came into fashion, with the same effect.

If you are a musician, or your website is a trailer for a movie, by all means, add music, but give the user a chance to get rid of it. Even better, allow the user to choose to play it. If you are not, why would you want to distract from your content that much? Boring text does not get better by adding music; that’s like a government official singing your tax bill to you while playing on the guitar.

- Christian Heilmann

Music on websites is so... pre-teenish. Soon, are all the cache pages going to have a background of hearts with animated kitten gifs looping the meow mix theme song?

As far as peer pressure goes, your peers are the ones that will have to visit the cache page. It's not peer pressure, it's end-user feedback.

I say don't be discouraged by those who don't like it. If you feel the need to put music on your cache page then do it. Don't collapse to peer pressure.

<bgsound src="http://This is the link to your music.wav">

Damenace

Here's the best solution. Go ahead and load the music, but make it start with a "play" button:

<Font size=+2>Music Controller</font size><br>
<embed src="http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Grid/1831/midi/plok.mid" Autostart=FALSE Width=144 Height=56 Loop=false></center></p>

Of course, you can substitute the address for the place where your midi is residing.

By pulling the Width and Height specifications on there, a midi controller will show up on the page. By making the Autostart=FALSE, the music won't start unless someone pushed the "play" button. I like putting the increased size on the words "Music Controller" so that people actually see it.

To see it in action, take a look at one of my travel bugs.

Edited by Markwell
Here's the best solution.  Go ahead and load the music, but make it start with a "play" button:

<Font size=+2>Music Controller</font size><br>
<embed src="http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Grid/1831/midi/plok.mid" Autostart=FALSE Width=144 Height=56 Loop=false></center></p>

Of course, you can substitute the address for the place where your midi is residing.

By pulling the Width and Height specifications on there, a midi controller will show up on the page.  By making the Autostart=FALSE, the music won't start unless someone pushed the "play" button.  I like putting the increased size on the words "Music Controller" so that people actually see it.

To see it in action, take a look at one of my travel bugs.

Works on bug pages but cache pages are more restricted in what they allow. The <EMBED> tag gets stripped out when the page is rendered :huh:

See Jeremy's response in this thread

Edited by Geofellas
I don't know how you do it, but I would suggest against it. Some people, like me, still have slow dialup connections (24K). :D

The music would make the page load even slower.

LOL welcome to GC.COM the first reply is negative. I dont know but..... WHY can peuple not be helpful. So you dont like it then DON'T say anything.

There have been a number of ways how to put audio files on webpages do a search and you find out. Ask BadAndy he does it a nice way.

cheers

It's your cache...I say feel free to put music or whatever you like. If others don't like it, they may not visit your cache. If you're willing to live with this possibility, go for it.

Its the cache PAGE that people have a problem with. Many people don't like music on cache pages. I know I don't. When I'm web surfing at work, or late at night at home the last thing I want is to click on a link and suddenly hear loud music.

LOL welcome to GC.COM the first reply is negative. I dont know but..... WHY can peuple not be helpful. So you dont like it then DON'T say anything.

He was being helpful. He was letting the person know that music is not appreciated by many (just look at the responses in this thread). I know if I was new at something and was about to commit a faux pas, I'd be appreciative if it was pointed out to me.