Where Is Good To Stay In Canada

markandlynn

Hi,

Our first post in another country's forum hope you don't mind. After helping complete a Canada / UK multi and being helped we looked at the cache map for Canada and though it looked good. So where should we look at spending a three week holiday in April next year (is this a good time) help us please.

Well April can be a little early for most of Canada, but if your willing to take a chance on the rain Vancouver and Victoria are both excellent bases to consider. The snow is reserved for the ski hills only, the flowers will be in bloom and golf will be under way. Although with so many caches in either city I don't see how anyone could take time out for a walk as long as a golf game without finding a cache at the end.

Good Luck

Well April can be a little early for most of Canada, but if your willing to take a chance on the rain Vancouver and Victoria are both excellent bases to consider. The snow is reserved for the ski hills only, the flowers will be in bloom and golf will be under way. Although with so many caches in either city I don't see how anyone could take time out for a walk as long as a golf game without finding a cache at the end.

Good Luck

what he said.

Canada is a big country with a lot of different things going on. You might want to give us a better idea of what you are into - particularly with respect to outdoor activities. If you are looking to do the tourist thing I would recommend Quebec City, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver and Victoria. This will keep you busy for 3 weeks. Taking the train across the country is a consideration too to hit everything in between.

I would also suggest that you consider coming over in May or June. Many attractions aren't open during the week 'til the kids are out of school.

C-A

Edited by Couparangus

For outdoor activities you can't beat the west coast. Between exploring the local mountain trails only minutes from the city, walking or cycling the miles and miles of seawalls on Vancouver’s spectacular waterfront, beautiful sandy beaches (including Vancouver’s world famous Wreck Beach), world class sailing, windsurfing & kayaking, more restaurants per capita than anywhere else in Canada, clean air, laid back people and awesome sunsets there’s no wonder that BC’s west coast is the most popular tourist destination in Canada. And lots and lots of caches.

And when you’re done touring around Vancouver, hop on a BC Ferry for one of the most spectacularly scenic ferry rides to Victoria on Vancouver Island where you have all the best of what’s available in Vancouver, albeit on a slightly smaller scale, plus incredible whale watching, hikes through old growth forests that will blow your mind and arguably the highest cache density in Canada. As cities go, Vancouver and Victoria are among the most beautiful, culturally diverse, tourist friendly cities in the world.

VancouverSkyline.jpg

Check out:

http://www.tourismvancouver.com/

http://www.vancouverscenes.com/swf/index.html

Edit: fix bad url

Edited by Gorak

Oh, I forgot. Go ahead and come to Vancouver or Victoria in April. Spring arrives early on the west coast and in April it's warm and the flowers and trees are in full bloom. All tourist (and other) venues are open and you'll beat the wave of tourists that start showing up in May or June.

If you're planning on visiting other parts of Canada then I would take Couparangus's advise and wait until May when the snow and ice have melted. :)

Edited by Gorak

Take a good look at Nova Scotia for you vacation. May through early Nov are all great months to visit. Check out - www.nova scotia.com - and ask for your free Nova Scotia vacation planning kit. So much to do and see,it will be the best vacation ever because you will fall in love with Nova Scotia!! Oh yes there are lots of great geocaching here to do.

If someone were to ask me what part of Canada, excluding my own, would I want to visit in April for the sole purpose of geocaching then I would say without hesitation the Vancouver area and Vancouver Island. April is still just a bit early for the Ottawa and Toronto vicinities from the standpoint of nature's bloomings however it is an excellent time for hiking the trails and finding any of the thousands of caches out there.

All in all no matter where you choose our Canadian caches will not disappoint.

If you happen to choose Southern Ontario then keep a watch on any event caches that may coincide with your vacation. We do have some great get-togethers for cachers.

Cheers, Olar

Canada is a big country with a lot of different things going on. You might want to give us a better idea of what you are into - particularly with respect to outdoor activities. If you are looking to do the tourist thing I would recommend Quebec City, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver and Victoria. This will keep you busy for 3 weeks. Taking the train across the country is a consideration too to hit everything in between.

I would also suggest that you consider coming over in May or June. Many attractions aren't open during the week 'til the kids are out of school.

C-A

We enjoy good walks and scenery. We have three children who will be 12, 9 and 6 years old this time next year. We would like to feel safe when out (we dont have any large dangerous animals in the UK) hope this helps. Thanks for all the links and replies so far nice to know the natives are friendly :laughing:

I would have to agree with the Red Fox Raiders, The Maritime Provinces are the way to go. You have 3 different provinces to choose from and all are within 4 hrs car drive from each other. Presently Nova Scotia has 500 caches, New Brunswick has 1400 caches and you can do all PEI caches(38) in a single day. The Maritimes have all you would ever want. If have any questions :rolleyes: Maritime Webpage

Edited by C&C+COMPANY

If you're willing to turn this into an annual home-away-from-home event then i'd recommend a 3 week stint in each province or territory. As mentioned before, Canada is a large country (very large) and there's no way to get a feel for us in just one trip :o Each province or territory is unique unto its own and needs to be properly sampled for fullest effect.

Either coast is a great place to start :o

If you plan a return visit in the sumer sometime I would recomend vistiting the rocky mountains in Alberta,

Banff can be a bit touristy but the scenery is second to none.

Jasper is also nice and not to far from there is a glacier which you can walk on, Not to many of those in the world.

if you don't want to hit the main tourist spots there are many camping areas throught the mountains I would recomed Kananaskis not just for sking

finaly of course is my Hometown Of Calgary Alberta with the world famous Calgary Exibition and Stampede

Gotta go with Victoria. Warm, flowers, tons of good clean activities for the kids, gorgeous hikes, beaches, parks and it's safe.

I grew up in Toronto. It was a great city as a kid, but has changed way too much.

I moved out to Victoria 7 years ago, and never looked back. Victoria is a "tourist" city, without being a crappy tourist city. There are SO many things to do here, that don't cost a cent. And if you want geocaching, look no further. We have it all. "Easy peasy", to "holy samolie". Let us know when you are coming and I bet there will be a Cachers Haven arranged in your honour. :lol:

In three weeks, you could see Victoria, have a trip to Vancouver, a day trip on the Clipper to Seattle, drive up island and explore Tofino....oh so much more too! Go on! Come to the cycling capital of Canada... the Garden City...the place where everyone eventually wants to be. VICTORIA!!

We enjoy good walks and scenery. We have three children who will be 12, 9 and 6 years old this time next year. We would like to feel safe when out (we dont have any large dangerous animals in the UK) hope this helps. Thanks for all the links and replies so far nice to know the natives are friendly 

You shouldn't worry too much about large dangerous animals in Canada, even though our country is big and wild... actually, because it is so big, large predators are usually far from inhabited areas. There is a small risk of grizzly bear encounters in the Rockies Mountains (of the millions of tourist visiting the Rockies each year, only a few are attacked, usually ones trying to feed the bear or camping with food in their tents..), and an even smaller chance of meeting a mountain lion in the same area. If you plan to travel to the arctic, than you should watch out for polar bears. The wolverine is supposed to be the most dangerous animal in the Eastern half of the country, but only a few are spotted each year and they haven't killed anyone in living memory.

So really, Canada is quite safe :unsure: Watch out for the mosquitoes and black flies though, now those feed on geocachers quite readily.

And I would suggest visiting the province of Quebec, of course. Here is one more link for you : Quebec