Things To Use

gridlox

After sidetracking the Things To Not Use topic and hopefully putting it back on track, I thought "Well let's have one that covers "Things TO Use" so that one can proceed as started.

There are several topics on cool cache containers, but what are some of the everyday things that you use to make your caches from that someone may not have thought of? :tired:;);)

D-man :D

Edited by gridlox

I think one of the most overlooked "thing to do" is to make the cache container blend in as much as possible to it's surroundings. This makes it less likely to get muggled because it is not sticking out like a sore thumb. This could be as simple as using camo tape to painting the container. I have a cache container that is a two foot section of six inch PVC under a rock out in the middle of NO-Where WA. I still took the time to camo paint it so it was not visible to anyone who might be walking around in the area.

Also try to use containers that are waterproof, no matter where you live. We live in BC so all cachers at least make an attempt at using waterproof containers. We just got back from a month of geocaching in Arizona. Those folks down there must think it never rains....then came this winter....lots of very soggy caches and containers rusted shut.

I think one of the most overlooked "thing to do" is to make the cache container blend in as much as possible to it's surroundings.

You mean like this? :anibad:

thotsfirstp9072853r4wm.jpg

This is a clear half-gallon Rubbermaid canister with a white screw on lid.

Edited by Thot

Bring a pen/pencil - many caches do not have one or they are broken/frozen.

Let someone know where you will be.

If you think it will take 20 min - tell your wife(spouse) 45 mins to be safe.

Put logbooks in ziplocs when/where feasible.

Test your container for waterproofness. (I put kleenex in it and then dunk it, shower it, kick it around and repeat. Find new container if Kleenex is spongy mess.)

Anchor caches near water.

Use natural camo (colors, textures) or real grass/leaves/sticks etc....

Extra baggies to replace damaged ones.

Spare log book in case you fill one.

Bug spray.

A friend. (The more, the merrier!)

Oh, and off the subject, does most anything write on that waterproof paper? What about pencils?

Edited by Greymane

I've used those tall red plastic coffee cans from Costco. They are thick; the lid being the weakest link 'cause they are somewhat thin. I have a drawer full of lids just in case they start cracking.

I have two caches out with these containers and they have held up close to a year now. The red stick out so you need to camo tape them or paint them.

However, at $4 a pop, you can't go wrong with the slender ammo cans.