Northeast Summer Camping Weekend Event

avroair

I have camped at Glen Gray, they have cabins, leantos and they are very close to 36.8% of Briansnat caches in the Ramapo Reservation. They have brochures in Campmor/Ramsey Outdoor, etc. Closest cache, is Goathouse if I am not mistaken. Google the Bergen County Parks Department for a map and info. This was the oldest continuously operating Boy Scout Camp in the nation up to the time it was sold to Bergen County. The sale saved the land from development. A VERY NICE hike is from Ramapo Reservation up past Triple Tree, up Past Bear Swamp and over the cannonball trail to Glen Gray. About a 5.5 mile, we backpack that with boy scouts. Great recommendation. Close, yet still wild enough.

Edited by Packanack

I am planning on camping the weekend in Harriman State Park at the earliest possible time. Warmer weather! Like end of March , 1st of April. I can't wait!!!!! I am dying with all the darn SNOW!!! and cold!!!

I will setting up camp somewhere on the Rockland side where I have some caches still left to catch.

Peace ,See you there

How bout some overnights - extended trips in Harriman.  Let everyone else see what the big hub-bub is about.  (Did I just say hub-bub?)

That would be cool.

I would love to do the whole 1777 (1779? one of those revolutionary ones) trail maybe over the course of 2-3 days - camp in Doodletown or at one of the campsites.

It's all new to me - but I would definitely be into it and would lok forward to learning from those of you who are more experienced. :(

If possible, it would be cool if this was scheduled in July or August...as the Geo Jamboree is in June as well as the beach bonfire, which is tentatively the last weekend in june, but not yet officially posted.

I vote for Ricketts Glen in north central PA or Ohiopyle out by Pittsburgh.

I was thinking of August or possibly labor day weekend to give people 3 days. I haven't had a chance to sit down and read over all the suggestions yet.

I'd do it in the spring. It can get darn nasty for camping in August.

Good point briansnat. I hate bugs. Should we hold off until a little later in the fall?

I just heard of the Thunder Swamp Trail in PA. It looks like a good possible destination.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/hiking/thunder.aspx

I've done the thunder swamp loop a couple of times. It's pretty nice, but I only remember one area that had an "established" campsite (i.e. there was a fire ring there and it was a relatively clear area). I don't know if there is a lot of room for a big group there. On our first night we had to kind of create a spot to camp. I've only done the main loop (approx. 20 miles) so I'm not really sure where the other 25 miles are.

Rickett's Glen is awesome. There are a bunch of private and state campgrounds in the area. When I went in May (many years ago) there were tons of butterflies hanging out all along the trail.

I was thinking of August or possibly labor day weekend to give people 3 days. I haven't had a chance to sit down and read over all the suggestions yet.

I'd do it in the spring. It can get darn nasty for camping in August.

Good point briansnat. I hate bugs. Should we hold off until a little later in the fall?

No, just don't leave the city. :ninja: (And stay away from our flag).

I would also suggest Harriman State. There are 52,000 acres, hudreds of miles of trails and a real chance to find solitude in the forest.

Pine barrens is a little bigger for the more experienced cacher at 1.1 Million acres

:lol:

:D

Pine Barrens would be cool, but I can't organize from distance. :D

I'm planning a camping trip in the Pine Barrens for June 10th weekend. I have a GC number I can't remember at the moment. I guess maybe Parvin SP isn't the Pine Barrens but I am a Delaware boy so I am allowed to make those kinds of mistakes. I'll find that number later and post it.