Sssi Maps

I recently came across this site which has definitive maps (OS 1:50 000) of all the SSSIs across the country. English Nature SSSI map page

GAGB guidelines state that caches should not be placed in SSSI areas (and there are unpleasant legal restrictions/penalties for disturbing them) but until now I have found it difficult to find out where the boundaries are. This map certainly helped me so GAGB has now added it to the GAGB.org.uk links page.

Thanks for the map.

I was planning on putting a cache on some nearby common land thinking there would be no problem with needing permission. Someone said they thought there was a SSSI on the land so I used the map to check. Unfortunately, the WHOLE of the common is a SSSI, so I won't be able to place a cache :blink:

Iam sure everybody is aware of the guidelines and that there are no geocaches on SSSI sites without permission? :blink:

The guidelines (GAGB) say that "No cache should be placed in such a way as to risk damage or disturbance to any Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI)"

The emphasis is surely on damage and disturbance.

For example almost the whole of the North Yorkshire Moors National Park is a designated SSSI. Bearing in mind that there are major roads, hundreds of miles of public footpaths and a government spy base on that land, a hidden tupperware box is hardly going to cause damage or disturbance.

a.

GAGB guidelines state that caches should not be placed in SSSI areas...

I don't think they say that.

GAGB guideline No. 3 states:

"No cache should be placed in such a way as to risk damage or disturbance to any Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI)"

a.

Alex, You are correct. You will interpret that in your way, and I will interpret it in mine.

There are a number of different reasons why a site may have been designated as a SSSI. As well as fauna, flora and biodiversity concerns, it's possible for an area to be listed because of (for instance) a particular or unique example of geology, or a geological feature.

It is not possible to make an informed decision on this, without studying the criteria which led to the designation.

And, while we're about it...

I've been concerned for some time about the emphasis on "SSSI's" in these guidelines. There are several other statutory designations - no less important - such as Special Areas of Conservation, (SAC), Special Protection Areas (SPA) and Ramsar sites.

More information on these, and other categories can be found at the very useful JNCC website.

The JNCC information covers all regions of the UK.

Alex, You are correct. You will interpret that in your way, and I will interpret it in mine.

I'm sure you will. Having spent a happy hour or so trawling through the maps and documents that go with them, I think we have little to worry about as regards damage or disturbance to SSSIs.

I see that virtually the whole of Salisbury Plain is designated a SSSI. Better not put a cache on there then. Probably get crushed by a tank anyway. :blink::huh::blink:

a.

Alex,  You are correct.  You will interpret that in your way, and I will interpret it in mine.

I'm sure you will. Having spent a happy hour or so trawling through the maps and documents that go with them, I think we have little to worry about as regards damage or disturbance to SSSIs.

I see that virtually the whole of Salisbury Plain is designated a SSSI. Better not put a cache on there then. Probably get crushed by a tank anyway. :blink::huh::blink:

a.

Unless it's the "Salisbury Plain" cache at the Wiltshire County Council Urchfont picnic site, several hundred metres North of the SSSI.

You see, it IS a useful map.

There are caches in the UK on SSSi's According to the maps list. So has the cacher got permission or not. I have a friend who works for EN and I am approaching him to see what he can tell me rather than misreading or interpreting it incorrectly.

Whilst living in Wales, I have a cache in a SSSI, it took me 6 months to get permission off the Land manager for the company who owns the land, and even then it was only after a site inspection, with a member of CCW (Countryside Council of Wales) the Welsh equivalent of English Nature, who approved all the locations, did I get formal permission.

So it is possible to get full, legal permission for a cache in a SSSI, as long as your prepared to work at it. I've just started the process again for another SSSI, but this time, involving The Crown Estates. :blink:

see that virtually the whole of Salisbury Plain is designated a SSSI. Better not put a cache on there then. Probably get crushed by a tank anyway

It may supprise you that some of the rarest species in the UK, actualy live on Millitary Training Areas, and the no's are increasing, due to the amount of protection that they recieve :blink:

Dave :huh:

Edited by Mancunian Pyrocacher

Unlike the recorded archeological sites on military land that get ground to dust. Back in the early 80's I saw a display in Devises museum of aerial photographs of barrowfields on military land showing the damage the military had done to the bronze age remains.

It really does depend on what the military does with the land.

i've got one on an english nature sssi.

been done with the local english nature managers full approval and involvement.

trying to get more english nature onboard. have done an article to be published in their inhouse magazine. hopefully this will open the door to more being available.

their only main requirement was that they were present when being sited so that they could say if likely to be a problem with fauna or flora. and so that they can remove it easily if there was a problem.

hopefully i'll be able to sort out a national agreement but if not a formula for local agreements to be set up. it might be worth people contacting their local EN office to discuss. i found them very friendly and part of their remit is to encourage use of the sites.

We have a cache in an SSSI and the warden of the site was perfectly happy with it, there is no need to treat them as no go areas just ask permission. The warden of our site has much more to worry about with vandals, rubbish and kids setting light to the haystacks in the summer.

Proper managment of this SSSI (which features some very rare orcids and wildflowers) involves chopping down all the wildflowers to make hay, ensuring the ground is trampled by cows on a regular basis, Hacking back encroaching woodland using heavy machinery and flooding the fields. In amongst all this managed damage a few people visiting a single ammo box dosnt have any discernable impact. As wildlifewriter said there are a number of reasons why an area can have this designation so its best to find out from those involved in the areas management.

Chris

Edited by Chris n Maria

It's interesting and quite surprising looking at the maps, I'd have said before looking that it would be easy to avoid SSSI so why intrude, but half of Hampshire seems to be SSSI, including the New Forest (all of it) Portsmouth Harbour, Chichester Harbour (W Sussex I suppose) and so on.

I had kind of expected it to be little spots of land where rare lesser spotted algaes were the sole food of the last mating pair of smooth skinned wimples.

Thanks - a very useful resource.

i've got one on an english nature sssi.

been done with the local english nature managers full approval and involvement.

Am I right in thinking that English Nature don't actually own any land. So as well as SSSI approval from them, you also need approval from the actual landowner?

a.

English Nature like CCW here in Wales, are the regulatory body for SSSI's, even the actual Landowner, has to consult them, before any work is carried out. So yes if you wish to place a cache in a SSSI, were they are not acting as the site manager or own the site, you have to get permission of the landowner as well, as their permission.

It just adds to the fun of placing a cache, and as others have said, if you go about it properly, permission should be easy to obtain. At the end of the day English Nature, and CCW, will be happy to help, as you've approached them first! The Landowner is a different case. It helps if the person with who you have contact, doesn't go back to collage :(

Dave

Hi Peeps.

Just had a quit flit through this thread..

Remember to diffirenciate between SSSI's and SAM's ( Scheduled Ancient Monument ). As Alex points out, there are great swathes of land designated SSSI's with rights of access etc.

SAM's on the other hand are totally out of bounds. For instance, if a bit of wall on a farmers land is a designated SAM and he sees a bit of loose brick. Being a good guy he cements the loose brick to maintain the SAM's integrity he has committed a crime, and can be prosocuted with dire conciquences.

One major point on SAM's. A SAM can take in quite a bit of land around it to act as a buffer zone. So our 6ft x 6ft wall can be in the middle of a 300ft x300ft patch of land. The land is also designated as the SAM.

Loads of info on Both subjects on the web. :(

Moss T

Some plants only grow in very localised places. You need the knowledge of the caretakers of the SSSI, SAC etc to know where these places are.

Imagine all the lovely publicity geo caching would get if the first visitors to a cache trampled a path through one of the rarest plants in the UK or that rare habitat where the last of a unique butterfly lives.

Edited by markandlynn

Had a quick gander at the SSSI site last night, the nearest one to where I live (if I remembered right :( ) is a scar on the landscape, the remains of a quarry no forming part of a bypass. It seems there's been a fossil or two found there! Complete ballcocks.

my cache is on martin down, land owned by hampshire county council, hence blanket agreement. i approached controlling english nature office, explained the hobby and what i wanted to do.

they were very pro. i had a scout around to find suitable spot. then met up and discussed further and to show him the location.

he was happy that to get to and fro no plants or animals would be disturbed so agreed.

i'm hoping that the little article i've done will attract more english nature managers to the hobby. if there is a local english nature spot to you then why not appraoch the and have achat? the chances are if the manager agrees then the landowner will be a pushover as they will take guidance from EN.

if you don't ask you don't get. and they are required to encourage sensible use of the sites. what could be more sensible than cito? they are opposed to night cachers though....sorry. :(