Which Garmin to get?

DocMagoo

I currently use a Garmin GPS12 unit. I really like the eTrex series, but it's a tossup between the Legend, Summit, and Vista. I like the Legend because of map ability and I could always just use a compass to project waypoints etc. I like the Summit because of the internal compass, but no map ability. Well, the Vista has it all, but very pricy.... Any thoughts by anyone?

The place where your treasure is, is the place you will most want to be, and end up being -- The Message icon_wink.gif

Even though I use 2 Magellans (gifts), I'd get the Legend if I were going with Garmin. The extra memory for maps on the Vista is good BUT the screen is a bit small for driving so I am not sure how functional it would be. For geocaching only, the legend gets the nod for being able to upload Topo.

Just my $0.02 icon_smile.gif

~robert

(that's mrkablooey, not kablooey)

The Maryland Geocaching Society www.mdgps.net

I've owned the Vista and Legend. If using the compass to project wayoints is a criteria, spend $10 for a decent Sliva and save yourself the money. From my experience, the internal compass works OK, but not nearly as well as a magnetic hand held.

If you travel often and need to download a lot of maps, get the Vista. Otherwise, the Legend is an excellent combination of features and price. It has enough memory to download all the maps from your area and you can shell out the extra $10 for a hand held compass (which doesn't need batteries). Personally, I'd take mapping over a compass as a GPS feature.

If money is no object, then the Vista is an excellent unit. IMHO, get the Legend and spend the extra money on the mapping software.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

Thanks for your responses. I was sort of leaning this way as my pocketbook is a little thin. GPSCentral in Calgary has a great deal on refurbished units (nothing wrong with them -- $236 CDN and pay no provincial sales tax in Alberta).

The place where your treasure is, is the place you will most want to be, and end up being -- The Message icon_wink.gif

Get whatever you can afford.

I got a Legend and have been very happy with it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61* 12.041 W149* 43.734

The Vista isn't THAT pricey, if you know where to look. People can easily score them for $250 or perhaps a little less with a Garmin rebate (when it's in effect).

I have little problem using it for navigation in my truck. Courtesy of the windshield suction mount, I can place the screen just about anywhere in my range of view, and it doesn't affect my view of the roadway. A casual glance is all it takes.

Brian

Team A.I.

I don't remember which one I was using (I borrow a friend's GPS when I cache), but the one that's blue (someone would know which one it is) is pretty good for Caching. It stores more waypoints than anyone should need, works well in most areas (I've used it in the woods & near water without problems) The only problem I've seen is if you have one of those caches that give the coords for where you park, you might have probs using this one in a car. (I've tried, and I can't get it to work in my car no matter how hard I try)

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

The blue eTrex is the Legend. Never had a problem using it in a car either. It even gets a lock sitting on the passenger seat.

_"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry_

Heh. You must be driving on of those 87-octane coffins with absolutely no noggin' protection on top. No metal=no interference. icon_wink.gif

Brian

Team A.I.

quote:
Originally posted by Brian - Team A.I.:

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

The blue eTrex is the Legend. Never had a problem using it in a car either. It even gets a lock sitting on the passenger seat.

_"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry_

Heh. You must be driving on of those 87-octane coffins with absolutely no noggin' protection on top. No metal=no interference. icon_wink.gif

Brian

Team A.I.

lol.. That was pretty much what I was thinkin... I can't even get the one I use to work if I'm in the car and hang the GPS out the window!

My legend works intermittantly in the back seat of my car.

I let my 6 y.o. son hold it because he likes to watch our progress on the little map. Of course he could watch our progress just by looking out the window, but that wouldn't involve any electronic gear so what would be the point? As my wife likes to say, the apple don't fall too far from the tree.

quote:
I don't like the antenna in the e-trex series....go for Magellans Meridian gold....or the Sportrac Pro.... Both have excellant antennas.....you won't be sorry.

What's wrong with the eTrex's antenna? I think that it works great and outperforms the quad helix in some situations.

The Legend works great for me in and out of the car...I drive a Jeep Cherokee and it works in the passenger seat very well! A friend I go caching with all the time uses a Magellen and we seem to go in the same direction! I think it is like buying a truck, your ford friends will tell you dont buy a chevy and your chevy friends will say don't buy a ford. Of course that is why I drive a Jeep.

Darkmoon

All you have to do to fly is throw yourself at the ground and miss!

quote:
Heh. You must be driving on of those 87-octane coffins with absolutely no noggin' protection on top. No metal=no interference

No, I wouldn't describe my Honda Civic, or CR-V that way.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

Got my Legend for 179 before rebate at REI. Price was a special they had going for a week. Got lucky.

Still waiting for that rebate check to get here. Been over a month.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

[This message was edited by Bilder on July 27, 2003 at 01:26 PM.]