Magellan And Air Force Commercial

Dale_Lynn

I haven't seen the commercial, but it seems as if it taps into something that many of us have thought about from time to time, namely that the same GPS satellites that direct us to Tupperware in the woods are the same satellites that enable our armed forces to accurately target our nation's enemies. I know that I have often wondered, as I've seen a sat's position move off my GPSr's screen, if in a few minutes or a few hours further along in its orbit that same sat's signals will help an American soldier or airman do his or her job somewhere on the other side of the globe.

It isn't geocaching related, but a Magellan spotting seems ok. It is nice to see GPS units getting more play time now.

Here's a description from the Air Force site:

A group of young men lose the trail while snowboarding during heavy flurries. They are guided out of trouble by one who later becomes a B-1 Lancer pilot leading a strike operation.

When I saw the ad I didn't really understand what I was seeing. I thought they were saying the snowboarders were in the Air Force.

It is a theme they have -- if you are this type of person your skills might do well in the Air Force. The Army and Marines have similar commercials (the rock climber turns into Marine at the top of a high rock steeple climb).

The odd thing to me was that on the Magellan the position location arrow was flashing yellow. I'm a Garmin guy myself. Do the Magellan GPSR's do that or was that Hollywood embellishment?

It is a theme they have -- if you are this type of person your skills might do well in the Air Force. The Army and Marines have similar commercials (the rock climber turns into Marine at the top of a high rock steeple climb).

The odd thing to me was that on the Magellan the position location arrow was flashing yellow. I'm a Garmin guy myself. Do the Magellan GPSR's do that or was that Hollywood embellishment?

I think that was the old Hollywood special effects at work.

Ill bet they weren't even on a mountain, just a bunch of wimps standing in front of a green screen.

But you couldn't get me on the side of a mountain either :unsure:

Joe Smith

Groundspeak ran that commercial where the nerdy guy with gray hair is slumped in front of his computer, reading the forums. Then there is a flash of light, a quick glimpse of Signal the Frog, and the guy is transformed into a forum moderator!

It was pretty inspiring. I signed up right away.

I haven't seen the commercial, but it seems as if it taps into something that many of us have thought about from time to time, namely that the same GPS satellites that direct us to Tupperware in the woods are the same satellites that enable our armed forces to accurately target our nation's enemies. I know that I have often wondered, as I've seen a sat's position move off my GPSr's screen, if in a few minutes or a few hours further along in its orbit that same sat's signals will help an American soldier or airman do his or her job somewhere on the other side of the globe.

OK people let's try this: The Air Force views itself as a more 'intelligent' fighting force. More into technology than the other branches of the military. Definately not 'ground pounders'. So they want to attract recruits who are comfortable with and 'intelligent' enough to understand the application of new technology.

Thus a snowboarder who has mastered the spontaneous use of a GPSr in a real world situation would be someone that they would be interested in. That they have an adventurous spirit as displayed in the commercial would , in all likelyhood, be a significant plus.

I like to keep things simple, it usually works better that way. Simple solutions are often the best.

Carry-on dudes!!

Any body catch the Air Force recruiting commercial on tv where a bunch of down hill skiers get lost, pull out a MAGELLAN GPS and decide to go "that way" and it fades into a person aboard the Space Station looking out port?

Dale

How could you tell it was port side of the space station? Does the space station even have a post side?

It isn't geocaching related, but a Magellan spotting seems ok. It is nice to see GPS units getting more play time now.

Here's a description from the Air Force site:

A group of young men lose the trail while snowboarding during heavy flurries. They are guided out of trouble by one who later becomes a B-1 Lancer pilot leading a strike operation.

When I saw the ad I didn't really understand what I was seeing. I thought they were saying the snowboarders were in the Air Force.

That isn't the one that Dale_Lynn was refering to. The two commericals are very simular. The one that Dale_Lynn is refering to starts off with skiers using a GPSr then cuts to view of the earth from outerspace and pulls back to reveil a woman in a very USAF looking blue uniform floating in a space station looking out a window.

If your looking for symbolism then the GPSr symbolizes the GPS constilation that the US Military launced and controls in a joint operation (not just USAF).

The woman in space symbolizes to the USAF officer who have gone on to become astronauts.

The space station symbolizes the US Space Corp that is the process of standing up. It will be made up of members from all services not just the USAF but I have feeling the USSC will be part of the USAF like the USMC is part of the USN.

OT: If you are in the Space Corp would that mean you are a Space Marine?

Any body catch the Air Force recruiting  commercial  on tv where a bunch of down hill skiers get lost, pull out a MAGELLAN GPS and decide to go "that way" and it fades into a person aboard  the Space Station looking out  port?

Dale

How could you tell it was port side of the space station? Does the space station even have a post side?

I said looking out a port of the space station.... Not the port window of space station...

Dale

It is a theme they have -- if you are this type of person your skills might do well in the Air Force.  The Army and Marines have similar commercials (the rock climber turns into Marine at the top of a high rock steeple climb).

Groundspeak ran that commercial where the nerdy guy with gray hair is slumped in front of his computer, reading the forums. Then there is a flash of light, a quick glimpse of Signal the Frog, and the guy is transformed into a forum moderator!

It was pretty inspiring. I signed up right away.

NAVY (Never Again Volunteer Yourself) Hope you learned a lesson... :ph34r:

Edited for spelling :rolleyes:

Edited by 5

Yes snowboarders, GPS, F15. I like to see the military commericals. It is funny though if your in the Air Force the last thing your probable be using is a GPS. I know more grunts that report using a GPS. One friend a now ex=Navy survival expert had maps of Iraq loaded in his GPS prior to deployment. I also like the Army's commercial about an ARMY OF ONE. What a joke. O well I guess if you believe it. O and yes I am a vet.

cheers

Any body catch the Air Force recruiting  commercial  on tv where a bunch of down hill skiers get lost, pull out a MAGELLAN GPS and decide to go "that way" and it fades into a person aboard  the Space Station looking out  port?

Dale

I said looking out a port of the space station.... Not the port window of space station...

Dale

I'm having trouble reading I guess.

"Looking out port" does not equal 'Looking out A port'. It doesn't equal a POST either but that is for another rant.

Your responder pal there The Bushwacker NEVER said the word WINDOW you did.

I have just GOT to get more powerful drugs.

Actually, there are two commercials at work here.

One is the snowboarder who whips out the gps and directs his friends off the mountain, he becomes a bomber pilot.

The other commercial is the little farm girl who has to be carried away to safety as she stands fixated on a looming tornado, she becomes a weather observer from space.

One is the snowboarder who whips out the gps and directs his friends off the mountain, he becomes a bomber pilot.

The other commercial is the little farm girl who has to be carried away to safety as she stands fixated on a looming tornado, she becomes a weather observer from space.

You know..... I got to wonder if I got it wrong!..... The girl watching tornado and then looking out a "port" of some type seems right.... Wonder where I LOST the snowboarders....

Wonder if battery went dead in brain and lost waypoint....

Dale

You know..... I got to wonder if I got it wrong!..... The girl watching tornado and then looking out a "port" of some type seems right.... Wonder where I LOST the snowboarders....

Wonder if battery went dead in brain and lost waypoint....

Dale

Battery? No.

There we go. Got set right by BWT.

You got to wonder about an organization that has the ablitiy to create its own commercials but instead desided to spend thousands of dollars to have another organization that knows very little about the first make commericals for them.