Metal Detectors For Snow Caching?

murfster

While a metal detector will pick up a quarter sized piece of metal at about 10 inches from the base of the coil, it detects in a area similar to a parabolic arc/inverted cone extending from the width of the coil out to a point at the 10-12 inch range. Therefore the metal object say a quarter would have to pass within that detection field for the detector to obtain a 'hit' signal. With each swing of the coil small objects at the surface are more likely to be found than if they were deeper due to the decreasing size/area of the detection field the deeper you go.

I have used my metal detector quite successfully in the winter, although retrieval has always been the issue for me, as most things I have found were buried in frozen ground. I have had great success locating people's keys, glasses and pagers that were lost while playing or working outside.

A cache with metal objects within would be quite findable in the snow if it wasn't to deep. Keep in mind though that a coin sitting at the bottom of a 6" deep tupperware under 4" of snow is trying to be detected by a field the size of a quarter. This is like attaching a quarter flat on the end of a 3' dowel and walking around in a totally dark room, swinging the dowel back and forth trying to come in contact with a quarter laying flat on the floor. You are required to keep your passes/swings very tight and close together if you have a hope of hearing the clink of metal on metal :blink: . But being as you already have a GPS location of the cache's approximate area to minimize your search you should have a better shot at being successful. Caches in ammo boxes would have more of a presence to the magnetic field of the detector and thus be much easier to locate.

If the cache was in tupperware and contained nothing metalic, I would suggest you switch arms every few hours so as to develop your forearms equally :D .

Edit for spelling.

Edited by MedicP1

The frozen in was more directed at stuff that was already in the ground prior to winter, and not as much stuff lost during winter.

I would go for any of the brand name units, each has their unique pros and cons. Stay away from the radio shack "toys" as you will outgrow them while you are still opening the box they come in. Bounty Hunters from their looks are, in my opinion, just slightly up from 'toys'.

Whites are good units but heavy, and for me that ruins the fun when you have to rest your arm after a short time hunting or just packing them into an area to go hunting. My 1st choice would be a Garrett unit, light weight, detachable battery pack with coily cord (keep the batteries warm inside coat or on hip taking most of weight off arm), great program/search modes. Fisher units are also popular, I have never used one of these in the field but have tested them at a display and was impressed. There are so many variables I couldn't possibly cover them all here and stay on topic for geocaching. Contact me through my GC.com page and we can get into more specifics.

As was stated above, your range will be limited based on the type of detector and the material in the cache. A regular metal detector will allow you to do other things, like coin hunting at the beach (don't foget the knee high socks :o .) With a regular detector you would be limited to maybe 12 inches or so. If you're looking for something to get you started I've had pretty good luck with the Bounty Hunter brand. They don't cost a ton but they're not toys.

If you want real depth you should look at heliflux magnetometers (magnetic locators.) They will only detect ferous objects, but will give you considerably more depth. We use several different models of Schonstedts....but they'll cost you a lot more than a basic metal detector.

Sorry Curious George no offence intended, like I said I've not had any hands on just seeing the ads and display units and they didn't look 'optiony' more basic in design.

Maybe it's just me, having swung a Whites 2DB (ancient) for so many years and at competition hunts, I have grown slightly jaded and have narrowed/refined my 'acceptable' list of options that are a must have or don't buy. I started out with a Radio Shack Microtron detector and hated it about 2 weeks after buying it.

No offence taken at all - I'm not a real detectorist, I just got into it a little bit because of geocaching. I'd agree that people should avoid the Radio Shack toys, I too tried one and it was a waste of money. Bounty Hunters may not be as good as the higher end detectors but it's a great "starter" unit and I have had very good sucess with it. I'd say that for the price range it's a good way to get into it......then if you get bitten by the bug you can upgrade to a more expensive unit.

Bounty Hunters may not be as good as the higher end detectors but it's a great "starter" unit and I have had very good sucess with it. I'd say that for the price range it's a good way to get into it

This is what I was looking for. Searching about there are sooo many units and it is hard to tell one from the other. Do you know of any good Canadian dealers that ship quickly?

Thanks everyone!!

Murfster

Murf in a previous life I took up the "treasure hunting" hobby for a few years. I enjoyed it very much and still have my Garrett unit which sadly serves as a fancy hat-rack. ;) I have never tried combining caching with the metal detector as the two sports both have their own very unique searching techniques and I can't think of very many caches where it would have helped to find the container.

Before you go out and spend a lot of $$ you should try to borrow or rent one and try it out on a few cache hunts.

I've been out of touch for a lot of years but even back then land/park managers would not allow you to metal detect in their areas and others imposed a limited number of permits issued on an annual basis. I can visualize it being much more difficult now-a-days.

I don't mean to discourage you because metal detecting is a lot of fun and can be very rewarding if one does a lot of research into finding un-touched prime areas. Next time you are down this way at an event I'll remember to bring my fine collection of beverage can pull-tabs, beer bottle caps and pennies to show you. :P

Cheers, Olar

...it's pretty hard to beat the new Ace 250 from Garrett. Light and cheap and competes with the higher costing ones.

Tell me more about this unit, I'm thinking of buying a better metal detector than what I have currently (which is pretty good at finding the trunklid of a Buick buried 1/2" under the ground).

Cheers!

C-A

If I'm reading this correctly what you guys would like to see is for the cache hiders to place a piece of metal in the cache to enhance the reception of the detectors. This of course would only be required in the caches that will knowingly be deep in the winter snow.

You guys would know best on the size if the piece of metal. It would be easy enough to glue it to the outside of the cache or would a piece if metal left inside the cache suffice? It can simply be stated on the cache page of the added feature (md friendly)

Looks like they need a new icon for cache listings <_<

If this is a growing trend then I have no problem adding the requirements to my caches to enhance your enjoyment <_<

If I'm reading this correctly what you guys would like to see is for the cache hiders to place a piece of metal in the cache to enhance the reception of the detectors. This of course would only be required in the caches that will knowingly be deep in the winter snow.

You guys would know best on the size if the piece of metal. It would be easy enough to glue it to the outside of the cache or would a piece if metal left inside the cache suffice? It can simply be stated on the cache page of the added feature (md friendly)

Looks like they need a new icon for cache listings  <_< 

If this is a growing trend then I have no problem adding the requirements to my caches to enhance your enjoyment <_<

Yup - I briefly mentioned this idea in another thread about the new attributes. I'm not saying that we want to bury caches because it's against the guidelines.....but putting a piece of rebar or steel plate in the cache (or using an ammo can as a container) would mean that caches which do get covered in snow can still be found year round by those that choose to use a metal detector.

Looks like they need a new icon for cache listings :huh:

If this is a growing trend then I have no problem adding the requirements to my caches to enhance your enjoyment :)

If memory serves correctly, metal detectors get the best "hits" when the metal is non-ferrous. Precious metals like gold and silver are #1 with copper next. If you want to seed the cache container, the easiest and cheapest would be a dozen pennies. Of course if you insist on using gold coins then please let me know ahead of time and I'll go out and test it for you. :)

Cheers, Olar

Aluminum is another big sounder, this is well known to all those detectorists who have a pop tab necklace or who have discovered the park area that had the pop can hit by the lawnmower. Ah the memories of finding hundreds of aluminum frags makes me remember why I slowed down on this hobby.LOL

I did a little experiment this weekend with my pin finder. (ferrous only, etc..)

I used a little magnet I had (neodymium boron I think), a similarly sized (massed) metal bolt, and a fridge magnet.

As you can probably guess, the NB magnet won hads down (like about 100x more sensitive). The fridge magnet was only slightly better then the bolt. This all makes sense as the pin finders are sensitive to fluctuations in the earths magnetic field (any mag field really).

So, I don't know how magnets show up to the other kind of metal detectors, but a little magnet is better then a lot of metal to the pin finders.

Yup - pin detectors, also called magnetic locators, are primarily used by surveyors to locate property markers, pipes, power lines, valves etc.

They're also used by X-Treme GPS Team cachers to locate steel bars with clues attached - these bars are part on non GC.com contests which award all kinds of electronic goods (GPS's, radios, lights etc.) or cash prizes of up the $5,000.00

A moonbomb is a high power magnet....usually attached to a steel bar with a clue attached (as in the pic in the previous post). A moonbomb on a steel bar will make the pin detector scream from about 6 or 7 feet away.

Check out VIGPS.com for more info :lol:

pipes, power lines, valves etc.

Trivia for the day..... Pin finders do work well for finding catch basins and curb valves for water & wastewater but are rarely used to locate buried pipes or cable. A nice smooth pipe doesn't make much of a magnetic anomolie and the relative short depth ability of pin finders limits their usefulness.

The proper tool works on a different principle and is called a utility (or pipe & cable) locator. You get much more depth (7m+ is pretty common), can find the copper tracer wire common with plastic distribution gas lines as well as other non-ferrous wires and cables. With a sonde (water-proof transmitter) you can also find plastic pipes & ducts.