Planning A Great Cache

cajunzuki

I am in the planning stage of my first cache placement. I want it to be a hum-dinger. Don't really care about the cost either, within reasonable limits. Maybe 5 $10 bills in it, or walmart gift cards, plus other stuff. A friend and I thought of maybe a game like lawn darts or horseshoes to be used at the park that it would be hidden in, and put back into the cache afterwards. What are some goodies yall like to find, give me some input. Cache might cost $50 or so. Just curious...

Welcome aboard,

You may wish to place your cache somewhere you find interesting and enjoy going to. Remember, if you hide the cache in a park that gets lots of visitors, then the risk of it being vandalized increases. It would be a shame to put so much into a cache and have it go missing quickly.

I know most folks suggest finding a lot of caches before hiding any, but We disagree only because you then fall into the "hide my cache like everyone else" way of thinking. We strongly recommend reading the guideline for hiding a cache and if it is not prohibited there, then it is fair game. For example, if you have an old piece of pvc pipe that is 6" or 8" in diameter and can fasten it to a fence corner post (that is not on private property or you have permission from the owner.) you can hide a cache in the pipe.

When you fill your cache use a variety of items not just toys. If the container is big enough make a small "seed cache" as the first to find prize. The finder gets to take it and name it and hide it.

Do your cache in the manner in which you would like to find a cache.

If you're having fun with it, then it will be a winner.

John

A friend and I thought of maybe a game like lawn darts or horseshoes to be used at the park that it would be hidden in, and put back into the cache afterwards.

No kidding, hide a cache with a lawn darts theme and I'm there. It's been a long time since I rock and rolled. :rolleyes:

Lawn darts is so much harder to play with those smaller ones. You keep losing them in the grass and then you launch them with the lawn mower later. It's not pretty.

There are four elements to having a really good cache. The first is location. I cannot help you much here other than try to find a place where people will say WOW. The second is how the cache is hidden. A clever hide is always fun. However, don’t confuse clever for hard. I have found a couple of caches in bolder fields that were not that much fun to search for. Also, stay away from hiding micro in the woods or in a place a regular or small cache box can be hidden. The third element is the cache box. A clever cache box can make even a mediocre hunt fun. Always think about camouflage, velcro, and magnets. The final element is trade items. If you want to have a good first to find prize, that will get a couple of cachers to swoop down on the cache. If you want to try to keep the trade items of higher quality then you should either place the cache in a remote area so fewer cachers will hunt it, or make it a premium member cache only. Remember, after the first few people find your cache most of the trade items you placed will be gone.

Although finding a well stocked cache is always a pleasure, the contents don't make a great cache. Its a pleasant walk, nice view, unique spot and fun hunt.

That being said, some nice things I wouldn't mind finding that aren't incredibly expensive:

Petzel Tikka headlamp

Rechargable batteries and charger

Fishing lures

DVDs of classic movies

Carrying case for an eTrex

Local trail maps and hiking guide books

Geocaching.com hat or T-shirt

Gift cards

Nalgene water bottles

Compass