PDA Geocaching?

cheese

Are there PDA's out on the market that can also serve as a GPS? Also, I just ordered a "Dell Axim X5" PDA and was wondering the previous question about it also. Thanks!

"There are two different kinds of people in this world: those who finish what they start, and" - Brad Ramsey

Yes there are, but for geocaching you're better off with the durability and water resistance of a standard GPS device. Your GPS may get knocked around, or dropped. You might have to put it down on wet leaves, or snow, or it may be exposed to rain. I don't think you'd want to subject an expensive PDA to the hard use a GPS unit receives while geocaching.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" - Abraham Lincoln

Originally posted by virtualbry:

Radio Shack has a PDA GPS called the DigiTraveler...

Its a good deal at $99.

As it comes with DeLorme software, it probably uses a Rockwell signal, not NMEA and would not be compatable with most mapping software (like the DeLorme Earthmate receiver). For the money, buy a Venture. It comes with a cable and is compatable with about everything. Plus you can use it as a stand alone unit.

"I can't find the longitude for the North Pole"

quote:
As it comes with DeLorme software, it probably uses a Rockwell signal, not NMEA and would not be compatable with most mapping software (like the DeLorme Earthmate receiver). For the money, buy a Venture. It comes with a cable and is compatable with about everything. Plus you can use it as a stand alone unit.

Most PDA GPS's aren't capable of doing lat/lon waypoints and are centered on road routing. I have a high end iPaq with the Navman sleeve, and it does a good job of road routing with the right software, but would suck at trying to geocache with it. For the Axim you'd need a CF based GPS unit, which would be more expensive than a Etrex Yellow or Venture, and you'd have a waaay less rugged unit for which most forseeable damage wouldn't be covered by warranty.

Sometimes a majority only means that all the fools are on the same side

quote:
Originally posted by CCrew:

Most PDA GPS's aren't capable of doing lat/lon waypoints and are centered on road routing. I have a high end iPaq with the Navman sleeve, and it does a good job of road routing with the right software, but would suck at trying to geocache with it.

If you have a Palm OS unit you can use GeoNiche or Cetus GPS to overcome those problems.

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

quote:
Originally posted by CCrew:

quote:

Most PDA GPS's aren't capable of doing lat/lon waypoints and are centered on road routing. I have a high end iPaq with the Navman sleeve, and it does a good job of road routing with the right software, but would suck at trying to geocache with it. For the Axim you'd need a CF based GPS unit, which would be more expensive than a Etrex Yellow or Venture, and you'd have a waaay less rugged unit for which most forseeable damage wouldn't be covered by warranty.

Sometimes a majority only means that all the fools are on the same side

I too have an IPAQ. I use OziExplorerCE and it works great with Topo maps, waypoints, files from Pocket Search and Mobi-book. Near as I can tell it does everything the Garmin V does with a much larger color screen.

HTTP://OZIEXPLORER.COM

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

Muga Muchu (forget yourself, focus)

I previously used an Earthmate attached to a Palm Pilot. By the time I bought the cables and necessary software for the Palm, I had spent a lot more money than a nice standalone unit would cost, and I still didn't have a very good solution. I liked the software, but it was very inconvenient carrying 2 devices, not to mention the fact that the Palm is waterproof. It also took both hands to use the 2 devices, which becomes a problem if you need to move branches out of your way or if you lose your balance.

I finally gave in a spent my money on a Magellan 330 with Maps. I still take my Palm Pilot with me occasionally if I want the cache descriptions, but I don't have to have it out all the time. I am very happy that I switched.

dyslexics of the world, untie.

I go to the cache page and save it as a text file into my Casiopeia E-100. I often don't even read it first, just save it. Now I can go hunt it, and if I get skunked, I can read the cache page while at the site, without digging through printouts and without wasting paper and more importantly, expensive ink cartridges.

"I can't find the longitude for the North Pole"

I already have a real GPSr, a Meridian Gold, I was just curious if I could use my PDA for mapping and road travel, and maybe as a secondary Geocaching unit. Thanks for the replies, though!

"There are two different kinds of people in this world: those who finish what they start, and" - Brad Ramsey

Hi Everyone,

Yeah, having a standalone GPS unit is more practical than an attachment for a PDA. Bushwhacking while holding a PDA in one hand and the GPS receiver in another connected by 4' of cable can only add to the challenge. It is great for road routing, however, and you can't beat the backlit full color display. I like to save several cache webpages from www.geocaching.com on my PDA, so I'm not fumbling with stacks of printouts.

In any case, for those who are interested, the DigiTraveler's output is NMEA, so it is compatible with most mapping software. It has worked with everything I've tried so far. icon_razz.gif

Have Fun!

That an important detail that I indeed was missing. Having it as a single unit would indeed make a big difference. Thanks for pointing that out.

Now, the other problem I had with using my Palm as my GPS device is that it was annoying to have to switch between Mobipocket and the GPS screens. It seems like I always had to reacquire after switching back.

dyslexics of the world, untie.

quote:
Originally posted by Nurse Dave & LKay:

I don't think some of you understand. You can get GPSrs that simply clip onto a PDA making it one unit. No tougher to use than a stand alone GPS. And to meantion again the big screen size is awesome when it's mounted up on the windshield.

http://www.sprecher.us/smiles_63.gif ---Real men cache in shorts.

I started with this setup a Visor and Magellan companion. Although accuracy and usability worked fine. at that time the software & waypoint management was lacking, so I got a Garmin Vista a mapsource program and ExpertGPS. This turned out much better than what I was using to cache with.

Even though I still take my visor with me to check cache info and log my finds while at the cache site. icon_biggrin.gif

More rules = Less fun!

ntga_button.gif

NTGA member