New Resources For Uk Cachers

markandlynn

OK after seconds of deliberation. I finally got round to using my "free" hosting provision with my ISP. All the stuff i have ever emailed to someone is hopefully on this web site ( <_< except for clues to our mystery caches :D) . It's not the best web site in the world but at least it's got a pretty background and some usefull downloads.

Enjoy.

markandlynn's homepage.

Oh and any feedback would be appreciated, I have very thick skin, my job demands it. :lol:

Background distracts from the black font used to the point some areas are obscured.

The "Back to top" links do not function.

"www.whilwheaton.net" is dead link.

"Paperless caching guide" is a dead link.

"Getting permision" is a dead link.

As the html was created using MS Word, the source header contains personal information you may or may not want relayed to the world such as your UUID number, and full name.

Other than that... great. Glad to see pdf documents rather than .doc

Edited by stonefisk

I agree with the previous comments about the background....however nearly everone changes their original setup to some extent !!

I would suggest a visit to the library and have a wee read at a tutorial book on HTML and validation...it will add a bit more fun and functionality to your website construction.

Bill.

AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH

eeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

oooooooohhhhhhh nnnnnnnooooooooooooo

hhhhheeeeeeellllllllppppppppppppp

The paperless caching link is the puzzling one! the file is v large though.

Thanks for the heads up MS word. (caching from work today)

wil wheaton link is very slow

Sprucing up is planned for next year as Lynn wants to put our family tree etc on there. We will also hopefully have our first sets of cache photos at some point.

Thaks for the feedback so far all taken fairly well so far <_<:D:lol::D

11am Christmas Eve the response is:  "Sorry, this site is temporarily unavailable! "

I assume there are download limits etc I have been using it quite a lot this morning and then there was this flood of activity for some reason, at arround about 2:44am american time. wonder what caused that?

You need to get someone to buy you properly hosted webspace for Xmas. It isn't that expensive these days and will save all sorts of yahoo/geocities problems in the future.

-

Can I suggest that if you're serious about this site and keeping it available for folk that it's not a bad idea to invest in 'proper' hosting rather than the 'free' Geocity variety.

This doesn't have to cost the earth, depending on how much traffic you're expecting. You say the paperless caching document is 'large'. How large? Can it be reduced by converting to PDF for example.

I use these folk for hosting., £15/year.

No affiliation blah blah blah it just works for me, there a 1000s of others out there.

Can I suggest that if you're serious about this site and keeping it available for folk that it's not a bad idea to invest in 'proper' hosting rather than the 'free' Geocity variety.

This doesn't have to cost the earth, depending on how much traffic you're expecting.  You say the paperless caching document is 'large'.  How large?  Can it be reduced by converting to PDF for example.

I use these folk for hosting., £15/year.

No affiliation blah blah blah it just works for me, there a 1000s of others out there.

Yup it is PDF. still large though. 30 odd pages and the resolution is necessary for the images. I could always zip it but pdf's don't compress to much anyways.

As for hosting I am in discussion with "SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED" as to whether we can go ahead next year. cheers for the link. and yes it may get more serious next year.

and for those that endured the background it is now gone. now where was that flourescent pink flamingo picture......................

I agree with the comment about the background, it's a little hard on the eye. Perhaps also worth investing a few pennies to secure the available domain name markandlynn.co.uk

I was a complete web novice when I set out to make my GeoHikes website, which is written using a content management system called Mambo server. Maybe worth considering taking the little plunge and setting it up like that?

Another thought (and worth an edit), give all your external links a target="_blank" tag so a new window opens up with the link.

Edited by davester

If you edit the background image to lighten significantly the top right corner, it might be OK, but you might do better with it larger - so it tiles less often - or something lighter and smoother...

Oh, and I don't like 's for the plural - it's actually the possessive form...

:rolleyes:

Bob Aldridge