Coming Back Up North!

Kealia

Looks like my meeting will be on July 8th. I'm going to come in either Sunday night or Monday morning (6th or 7th) so I can spend the 7th doing some caching.

Just saw that there is snow over Snoqualamie pass - what's up with that in June?? It's going be 93 here today!

Can anybody give me an estimate of how long it tkaes to get from Bellevue to the Snoqualamie Falls area?

Thanks!

depends on traffic, but about 30 minutes without traffic.

It will take the longest just getting to I-90 from Bellevue.

If you expect to make it from I-90 and Bellevue Way in 30 minutes, better have your radar detector handy. Depending on traffic, I would make it closer to 50-60 minutes. Milepost Zero is I-5 and I-90. What is the exit at the pass? That will give you a clue as to the distance.

I won't be able to make these dates as I have relatives visiting then.

He asked about the Falls, not the Pass though. I think the Pass reference was just for the expected snow this week.

According to Google Maps, it should be about 33 minutes via I-90.

Looks like my meeting will be on July 8th. I'm going to come in either Sunday night or Monday morning (6th or 7th) so I can spend the 7th doing some caching.

Just saw that there is snow over Snoqualamie pass - what's up with that in June?? It's going be 93 here today!

Can anybody give me an estimate of how long it tkaes to get from Bellevue to the Snoqualamie Falls area?

Thanks!

If you expect to make it from I-90 and Bellevue Way in 30 minutes, better have your radar detector handy. Depending on traffic, I would make it closer to 50-60 minutes. Milepost Zero is I-5 and I-90. What is the exit at the pass? That will give you a clue as to the distance.

never mind...

Editing my edit, I did read that correctly.

Edited by AndrewRJ

Thanks!

And then cut that estimate in half as Snoqualmie Falls is nowhere near Snoqualmie Pass.

Thanks!

He asked about the Falls, not the Pass though. I think the Pass reference was just for the expected snow this week.

According to Google Maps, it should be about 33 minutes via I-90.

I read WM's reply and was trying to figure out how I misread the question. I drive faster then Google.

Thanks!

Welcome back to the area. :lol: Bummer I can't join ya. :lol:

Thanks!

And then cut that estimate in half as Snoqualmie Falls is nowhere near Snoqualmie Pass.

I blame it being over tired. Yeah, that's it, I was overtired.

:lol:

hehe, thanks for the replies. I assumed that the falls were somwhere along the pass further up - should have done more homework before asking.

I'm not sure if I'll head there or to "Ring of Fire" but I'll decide when I get up there.

More to come soon. I'm off on vacation next Tuesday through the 26th so I'll be "internet silent" during that period. I'll psot more when I make some decisions.

Thanks gang.

Here's a thought:

GoogleMaps show a trip from Seattle to Canada (straight up I5) to be roughly 2 1/2 hours. Based on experience for those that have gone:

1) Does this sound right based on traffic?

2) How long does the border crossing take? Is it a quick process or is it a 2-hour process?

As you can tell, I'm not sure what I want to do on this trip yet.... :D

Here's a thought:

GoogleMaps show a trip from Seattle to Canada (straight up I5) to be roughly 2 1/2 hours. Based on experience for those that have gone:

2) How long does the border crossing take? Is it a quick process or is it a 2-hour process?

As you can tell, I'm not sure what I want to do on this trip yet.... :D

Depending on your timing, this could vary from maybe if you're lucky... to no way in heck.

Again, timing and luck. Maybe you'll blow through, but be prepared for the two hour process or worse.

Half-Canadian is a frequent border crosser and long distance driver. Hopefully she'll chime in on this topic.

Here's a thought:

As you can tell, I'm not sure what I want to do on this trip yet.... :ph34r:

Depending on your timing, this could vary from maybe if you're lucky... to no way in heck.

Again, timing and luck. Maybe you'll blow through, but be prepared for the two hour process or worse.

Half-Canadian is a frequent border crosser and long distance driver. Hopefully she'll chime in on this topic.

The best advice on the border crossing: the further east you cross the border, the easier it is. The Peace Arch crossing on I-5 is the worst and could run to hours, especially on the way south. Although it is not required, it is much easier if you have your passport. If not, be sure to have you birth certificate.

Here's a thought:

As you can tell, I'm not sure what I want to do on this trip yet.... :blink:

The best advice on the border crossing: the further east you cross the border, the easier it is. The Peace Arch crossing on I-5 is the worst and could run to hours, especially on the way south. Although it is not required, it is much easier if you have your passport. If not, be sure to have you birth certificate.

Heed WeightMan's advice -- DO NOT use the I-5 Peace Arch border crossing, either north or southbound. There is a good bit of construction taking place there which has reduced the available lanes by 50% in the southbound direction and causes intermittent problems northbound as well.

The one I use most often is called the Pacific Highway crossing, about 2 miles east of the Peace Arch. You'll take exit 275: N48 59.090 W122 44.004 then proceed north to the border crossing. From there, you can either continue north or head west to rejoin the main freeway (or hit some prime caching in White Rock...see below), which is renamed Hwy 99 instead of I-5 north of the border.

Other options include the Aldergrove crossing, about 10 miles east (open 8 a.m. through midnight, seven days a week) N49 00.126 W122 29.102 and the Sumas crossing (open 24 hrs) N49 00.142 W122 15.908

Options for checking border crossing times:

AM 1130: broadcasts border wait times "on the ones" i.e. 1:01, 1:11, 1:21, etc. Updated often and usually pretty accurate. Also available live STREAMING LINK

Live webcams: Northbound and Southbound

Avoid crossing the border at these times -- Northbound: Saturdays and Sundays after about 5 p.m. and Southbound: Friday afternoons and evenings, Saturdays and Sundays from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. Weekdays are generally OK, usually no more than a 10-15 minute wait. Just checking the radio updates should alert you to any potential problems during those times.

"Must haves" when crossing the border: US passport, or a US-issued birth certificate AND a government-issued photo ID (driver's licence). Don't attempt to cross without one of those -- you will possibly be able to enter Canada with just a DL, but your re-entry to the US would be hellish at best.

Don't try to bring these with you into Canada: fresh fruits or veggies, guns, knives, pepper spray, or other weapons. If you have a a DWI/DUI on your record, you will not be allowed to enter Canada.

Don't bring these back into the US with you: fresh fruits or veggies, meat, eggs, etc. Souvenir type items, liquor, duty-free, etc. are OK.

Just across the border, in the White Rock/South Surrey area, are a lot of nice caches and scenic views, a beautiful waterfront, touristy spots, good places to eat, etc. I'd center your search from about these coords:

N49 02.743 W122 49.546 That should keep you plenty busy!

Let me know if you have specific questions. I cross the border several times a week, and I'm sure I've seen it all at least once!

Thanks for the info. It looks like I'll get into SEA-TAC around 11:30 or so Monday so I'll only have a half day to cache, etc.

My meetings on Tuesday start at 2:30 so I'm limited to a half-day then as well.

I'm guessing that my Canada visit and trip to get "Ring of Fire" are both going to wait until another trip as both appear to be about 2.5 hour drives.

So, I have the Snoqualamie Falls area on my agenda for one (half) day. Can anybody suggest another area that I could spend half a day in that's not too far away? Nothing urban, please.

From what I read, Discovery Park sounds nice - even without caches (although I haven't re-checked that thread in a long while).

Thanks!

Thanks for the info. It looks like I'll get into SEA-TAC around 11:30 or so Monday so I'll only have a half day to cache, etc.

My meetings on Tuesday start at 2:30 so I'm limited to a half-day then as well.

I'm guessing that my Canada visit and trip to get "Ring of Fire" are both going to wait until another trip as both appear to be about 2.5 hour drives.

So, I have the Snoqualamie Falls area on my agenda for one (half) day. Can anybody suggest another area that I could spend half a day in that's not too far away? Nothing urban, please.

From what I read, Discovery Park sounds nice - even without caches (although I haven't re-checked that thread in a long while).

Thanks!

Discovery Park is nice and no the caches are not back and probably won't be for a very long time, if at all.

I would suggest the area around Maple Valley. Danville Trails and other caches in that area. Definitely not urban, but close enough to get some hiking and some caches in without driving all the way to the pass.

My vote would be for the Cougar Mountain area on the East Side (Bellevue/Issaquah/Newcastle). Beautiful wooded terrain, tons of railroad and mining history, loads of caches - the largest urban wilderness in the US and largest park in King County.

Bookmark: Caching Cougar Mountain

If you decide on Cougar, I'm happy to help handicap the caches, routing, etc. It's in my backyard!

My vote would be for the Cougar Mountain area on the East Side (Bellevue/Issaquah/Newcastle). Beautiful wooded terrain, tons of railroad and mining history, loads of caches - the largest urban wilderness in the US and largest park in King County.

If you decide on Cougar, I'm happy to help handicap the caches, routing, etc. It's in my backyard!

I know that Kealia has done some caching on Cougar as I was with him, Jester, Marcus Arelius and Totem Lake for the first part of their through hike from De Leo Wall to the parking on the Renton Issaquah highway. There have been a number of changes up there since that time though. I suggested Maple Valley because he hasn't been down there at all.

I won't be of any help in either case because I have relatives in town and I have to take care of them.

I know that Kealia has done some caching on Cougar as I was with him, Jester, Marcus Arelius and Totem Lake for the first part of their through hike from De Leo Wall to the parking on the Renton Issaquah highway. There have been a number of changes up there since that time though. I suggested Maple Valley because he hasn't been down there at all.

I won't be of any help in either case because I have relatives in town and I have to take care of them.

That must have been several years ago - even the De Leo Wall cache has changed since then! ;) I would say the park probably has 30 caches now that didn't exist then, and sounds like y'all didn't get into the larger front area of the park (where a lot of the historical stuff is).

I did a suggested hiking itinerary for some other folks recently, which covered all the current caches (which would take several trips, obviously). Here's one possibility (from that post):

Start at Red Town trailhead, and do a roughly counter-clockwise loop on (primarily) the Red Town, Indian, Far Country, Shy Bear, Deceiver, Long View, Fred's Railroad, and Cave Hole trails. Along this route, you can pick up 13 caches (in order): Coals of Newcastle, Red Town Site, The Old Ballfield, Far Country Falls, Far Country Lookout, Hunk o' Junk, Doughty Falls, Long View Peak, Shy Bear Pass, Is That a Treehouse, Owl's Nest, The Fire Down Below, and My Best Cache by a Dam Site. With a couple of side trips, you can also get Skunk Cabbage and 48 Hours (or more with more side trips). When you get back, walk across the road from Red Town parking, and do the short, flattish walk to get North Creek Falls, Turntable, and Twisted Bridge - arguably the most scenic/historic half mile in the park. That's 18 caches!

Edited by hydnsek

That must have been several years ago - even the De Leo Wall cache has changed since then! ;) I would say the park probably has 30 caches now that didn't exist then, and sounds like y'all didn't get into the larger front area of the park (where a lot of the historical stuff is).

I did a suggested hiking itinerary for some other folks recently, which covered all the current caches (which would take several trips, obviously). Here's one possibility (from that post):

Start at Red Town trailhead, and do a roughly counter-clockwise loop on (primarily) the Red Town, Indian, Far Country, Shy Bear, Deceiver, Long View, Fred's Railroad, and Cave Hole trails. Along this route, you can pick up 13 caches (in order): Coals of Newcastle, Red Town Site, The Old Ballfield, Far Country Falls, Far Country Lookout, Hunk o' Junk, Doughty Falls, Long View Peak, Shy Bear Pass, Is That a Treehouse, Owl's Nest, The Fire Down Below, and My Best Cache by a Dam Site. With a couple of side trips, you can also get Skunk Cabbage and 48 Hours (or more with more side trips). When you get back, walk across the road from Red Town parking, and do the short, flattish walk to get North Creek Falls, Turntable, and Twisted Bridge - arguably the most scenic/historic half mile in the park. That's 18 caches!

Don't forget Sandstone Falls just a bit further down the trail from Twisted Bridge.

I think I had a map of this area at one point but can't seem to find one online either....

Anybody have one they can send me or point me to do download? Not looking for a topo map for the GPS, just a printable trail map.

Thanks.

I think I had a map of this area at one point but can't seem to find one online either....

Anybody have one they can send me or point me to do download? Not looking for a topo map for the GPS, just a printable trail map.

Thanks.

This page should help.

Edit because I typed too fast.

Edited by WeightMan

Don't forget Sandstone Falls just a bit further down the trail from Twisted Bridge.

Yup. Although that one is almost easier from the Coal Creek Pkway trailhead. All the caches in that park area are also on the bookmark list, even tho they are not formally part of Cougar Mtn park itself, but part of the adjacent Coal Creek Park.

Thanks.

This page should help.

Edit because I typed too fast.

Yah beat me to it, thanks. I have that PDF map linked from all my Cougar cache pages. Also, the Red Town and Sky Country trailheads usually have printed maps available.

If you have a mapping Garmin, check out Northwest Trails, that will give you the trail map (and lots more!) on you GPSr.

Great suggestion, can't believe I forgot to mention that, as I provided some of the Cougar trail data. Duh! Yes, the entire Cougar Mountain trail system is in Northwest Trails, and it's quite accurate. Between Northwest Trails, the Caching Cougar bookmark list (which shows the trail each cache is on, like NW Trails would), and/or a paper map, caching on Cougar should be a cakewalk now. ;)

Edited by hydnsek

sportrakpro.jpg

Tried and true...... ;)

Thanks for all the data. Yes, I've done part of Cougar and part of the trails across the street, too. I remember doing Sandstone Falls and a couple of others over there.

I'm gonna load the GPS and Palm with data for Cougar and the area around Discovery Park and decide when I get there on Monday where I feel like going. Tuesday morning will be Snoq Falls before my meetings.

Monday night is TBD, but thanks for the heads up. Red Hook rawks!

2004 - Three of the six caches we found are now archived or disabled.