Coming Back Up North!

Kealia

Hey guys, looks like (as of today anyway) that I'll be back on either 1/12 or 1/13 on business. Of course, there will be time for caching and/or dinner/drinks.

Really enjoyed the last visit and it's been way too long between so I'm looking forward to coming back.

I'll keep you posted as we get closer to the date (if the client moves it). In the meantime let me know if you're around, what kind of weather to expect, and some caching that could be done.

Happy Holidays!

Cool! I hope I get a chance to meet you this time!

Ditto.

Not often you meet a legend; although I did have the pleasure of Jeremy hitting one of my caches when he was down here a few months ago - does that count???

Like last time, I'll be in the Bellevue area for my meeting and staying nearby.

Sounds like another fun time shaping up. Any early thoughts on where to cache?

Other than some urban stuff in Seattle and Bellevue the only hiking I've done in the area was with in Cougar Regional park (hosted by Totemlake, Weightman, Marcus Arelius and Jester).

And yes - always a chance of a shotglass or two making the trip!

Another possibility would be to meet at Redtown, carpool up to the entry for Gnat Fest, and then come back through Fantasy Adventure and Coal Seam. A stop at the location for Coals to Newcastle would be in order as well although that cache is long gone according to EGH. It is still a great spot.

Edit to note that there are also several on Squak Mtn as well.

Edited by WeightMan

I should be available - you miss my birthday by one day (28th).

There are four cache on Squak Mt, they make for a fairly rigorous trip and you would have to solve one puzzle cache (Native Plant Pop Quiz GCJGMK) to get all four. Or just the 'open' three (Tie Mill GC4B3, Bullitt Fireplace Cache GCC3B0, Squak Mt Lookout GCHQC2).

[shameless self-plug] Another option is to do my Micro Multi Cache II: Lake to Lake GCJ4E6. There are quite a number of other caches along the route that could be added in. [/shameless self-plug]

Other suggestions?

Just booked lodging. I'll be staying in Bellevue at the Embassy Suites and coming in the morning of the 26th for meetings. Not sure yet if I'll have that night free for dinner/drinks (due to potential client schmoozing) but it looks definite that the caching availability will be the morning of the 27th.

Any other ideas on hikes? (Not discounting Jester's; just opening up for more ideas).

Should I bother asking what type of weather to expect this time of year?? :o

My suggestion earlier of parking at Red Town and the trailhead for Gnat Fest is out now that Coal Seam is archived so how about something completely different. Spend the day walking the Sammamish River Trail. We could park at Marymoor and Woodinville and pick up a bunch along that trail. The trail is completely flat, but there are several evil hides along the way. Perhaps a stop at Red Hook for a sample or three would be in order as well.

I'll be staying in Bellevue at the Embassy Suites ...but it looks definite that the caching availability will be the morning of the 27th.

Any other ideas on hikes? (Not discounting Jester's; just opening up for more ideas).

Well a few hundred yards north is Ghost of Runways Past and another couple hundred yards there is another cool multi :o . And as long as your doing that you might as well grab Spiritridge 2004 and Coffee Break

:o:o:D:o

I wish it were that simple for me. :lol: I don't get sick time, and there's only three of us manning the kiosk the entire week.

Btw, this is as good a place as any... Snickers is doing much better these days. He's able to momentarily stand on his hinds now and he only has a minor limp from an old football injury. :rolleyes:

Edited by TotemLake
Snickers is doing much better these days.

Excellent news TL!

Here's what my scheudle looks like now:

Open Wed night (26th) for drinks/munchies.

Open Thursday (27th) pretty much all day for caching. Pland home leaves Sea-Tac around 5:00.

Mt Squak sounds good if I can get the lowdown:

Open hiking or under tree cover?

Rain or snow?

I assume cold

Thanks.

Edited by Kealia

Hey - If you guys are doing this, please check Bullitt Fireplace carefully for me. I dropped The Navigator TB (#1) in the cache in December, but it was reported missing, with no intervening logs. Either it's hiding at the bottom of the can, we somehow dropped it on the ground while logging the cache, or it was muggled (there was a group at the picnic table, but we thought we were careful enough). Appreciate any assistance to relieve my guilt. I'd be up for the hike, but schedule's not predictable enough (and the kids never want to go there again - least not in Winter). Have fun! W.

I vote for Squak! There are quite a few caches up there that have collected since I last went.

The trails there are mostly under second- or third-growth forest cover - pretty typical northwest. Of course, you hit areas of deciduous trees or clearings every once in a while that provide better signal. Snow is unlikely except at the summits, and unless we hit a cold snap it will be minimal to non-existent even there.

I'm good for Squak. Just got my PQ for the area and plotted the caches a map of the park. (Found a rough one online - if anybody has a good one, pleasae send it over).

I'll look to y'all for meeting time/places. Just note that I have to be back at Sea-Tac by 4:00 or so.

Looking forward to meeting those of you I haven't met before.

FYI, I'm working on a comprehensive trail map for Squak Mountain. It should be ready by this weekend. When finished, I'll post a note here and make it available on my trail maps page.

Hey, look forward to seeing that, Jon.

I pored over the Green Trails topo map of Squak a couple weeks ago, trying to find the highest entrance point to minimize the hellacious climb. Looks like the best approach is from the south, entering from High Valley off SE 122nd (closest to Squak Mtn Lookout cache), that's the highest entry point too. I'm assuming there's trail entry based on the Squak Mtn Lookout writeup, which mentions this entrance. If not, then another high entrance is from the north, from Issaquah off Sierra Crest SW, but it's a bit longer walk to the caches. Both entrances are around 1100 ft. or so. Else we start much lower, around 250-400 feet. Since we have to climb up and down a few times to around 2000, I'd just as soon minimize. :huh:

The four caches in the park that I know about are:

Tie Mill by don & Lynda (GC4B3)

Bullitt Fireplace Cache by Too Cool & Susan too (GCC3B0)

Squak Mtn Lookout by Mierissa (GCHQC2)

Native Plant Pop Quiz by lahontan (GCJGMK) – solve the puzzle beforehand!

Now, I have to see about getting off work that Thursday....

hydnsek

Okay, I've finished the maps and downloads for Squak Mountain - see my trail map page for links. The direct link to the large map is here. If you choose to print a map for the hike, this is the one you'll want. Just be sure to tell your printer to fit it to one page, or else you'll only print a portion of it. The smaller version of the map, which is set to print to a standard letter sized piece of paper without requiring size adjustment, is too small to really make out the important details.

A note of caution up front: the trails were created using several sources, including the map available in the Tie Mill cache (created by the cache owner), the Green Trails Map for the area, and topo maps and aerial photography. In some instances, the sources conflicted, and so I went with whatever seemed most recent or apparent (more on this later). The important message is that these trails have not been personally recorded by me using my GPS receiver, so I can't vouch for their accuracy.

I've added the locations of the caches in the area to the map (with the exception of one - a puzzle cache that is located near the southern end and well out of the way of any route we will want to take). Based on what I see, I think we will want to start at Sierra Court and make a big loop. The Tie Mill cache owner's map shows a rough trail coming from SE 122nd as hydnsek mentions, but the fact that this map doesn't completely show on the Green Trails map has me a little nervous. Is it there and passable? I show it (well, the part of it that's on the Green Trails Map) as a maroon-colored dead end to the left of the word "Gorge" in the label for the S2 Bullitt Gorge Trail. Anyway, even if that trail is good, I'm not sure it would save us much over the Sierra Court entrance.

As you can see on the map, GCJGMK shows up well off trail. I think that the C5 East Side Trail is out of position, or else my coordinates for that cache are wrong. I used the Green Trails Map to position that trail, as it was the most recent source. However, the cache shows up right on a trail on the Tie Mill cache owner's map, so I have a hunch that I have the coordinates right and will have to adjust the trail location.

As you can see on the map, GCJGMK shows up well off trail.

HHmm, maybe you don't know your native plants! :huh::huh::P

Kidding of course. I'm excited about this little adventure guys. I'll meet anywhere you guys decide is best. What time are we thinking about starting the hike?

The Tie Mill cache owner's map shows a rough trail coming from SE 122nd as hydnsek mentions, but the fact that this map doesn't completely show on the Green Trails map has me a little nervous.  Is it there and passable?  I show it (well, the part of it that's on the Green Trails Map) as a maroon-colored dead end to the left of the word "Gorge" in the label for the S2 Bullitt Gorge Trail.  Anyway, even if that trail is good, I'm not sure it would save us much over the Sierra Court entrance.

The parking areas that you show are at established trailheads. I usually am lazy and go for the Sierra Ct entrance.

Don't overlook the short route to poo poo point

Edited by MarcusArelius
The Tie Mill cache owner's map shows a rough trail coming from SE 122nd as hydnsek mentions, but the fact that this map doesn't completely show on the Green Trails map has me a little nervous.  Is it there and passable?  I show it (well, the part of it that's on the Green Trails Map) as a maroon-colored dead end to the left of the word "Gorge" in the label for the S2 Bullitt Gorge Trail.  Anyway, even if that trail is good, I'm not sure it would save us much over the Sierra Court entrance.

The parking areas that you show are at established trailheads. I usually am lazy and go for the Sierra Ct entrance.

But isn't Poo Poo Point on Tiger Mtn?

I believe it is.

I believe it is.

Oops, of course you are correct. Oh Poo!