We Cache As Couple

Azaruk

My significant other and I cache together. She is a fiercely independant woman who would prefer to have her own cache name.

We obviously find caches together.

The question is - is it acceptable practise for both of us to log finds individually, or should we register as a team?

I only introduced her to the sport last weekend - instantly hooked on the sport!!!!

Members of the geocaching fraternity -- please welcome yet another addict!!!! :blink:

She hasn't registered yet, wants to wait and see what the consensus is to this post.

Edited by Azaruk

Each to there own !

We cache as a couple , and we share a team name.

I think you will find that some couples share the same Team name and others each carry there own individual id's.

We think it is acceptable anyway you personally want to go with it !

Star

Edited to add: Welcome to the addiction ! :blink:

Edited by Team Tigger International

Each member of the family has their own account. Each of us enjoys caching to a different degree and for different reasons. See if you can tell who is more addicted? :blink:

OzGuff (40 years old) 1,024 finds

OzMeg (10) 242 finds

Tahu (7) 233 finds

SWMBO (39) 36 finds

I don't wish it on you but I can see the day now when custody of the GC.com account becomes a pawn used by the divorce lawyers.

"Yes you can have the car but I am keeping the geocaching account"

"No most of those finds are really mine and I am not letting you have them"

"Fine you can have two thirds of the finds but you have to pay for my premium membership until I get another team account with someone else."

"OK but I want all of the finds and I will throw in the old yellow etrex."

"Glad that is settled, now what are we going to do about the kids?"

"Well I do have the latest version of Streets and Trips."

"If it is the one with the GPS locator you have a deal."

I have thought about this same issue...whether or not MS and I should have separate accounts. We do go caching separately at times, especially when he goes at the crack of dawn, or pre-dawn :blink: but most often we go together. That is the key, I believe..."most often." Which way will you cache most often? If you think you will be together more often than not, than it IS easier to maintain one account (less logging). If you each want your own identity, then go separate.

In our case, a single account does inflate the number slightly (as opposed to what each of us would have individually) so technically it would be "fairer" to have separate accounts, but it is, afterall, only a game.

Also, consider if you will be hiding caches together... again, it is easier to manage one account. ~katydid

She hasn't registered yet, wants to wait and see what the consensus is to this post.

Do what makes you two most comfortable.

We cache as a couple. Lately though, Sissy has been wanting to do even longer, harder caches--sometimes several in one day! (I think she's secretly trying to kill me, or at least, it feels that way!) Well, this old fat man is digging in his heels and she has threatened to create her own account and go without me!

Me, I like high risk micros and she loathes them. Maybe, seperate accounts would work out.

...but considering, the caches one likes and the other doesn't, one account might still make more sense. When I find them and log under the joint account, that'll mean she doesn't have to look at them anymore.

Some might complain that artificially inflates the numbers, but if you consider a member of that team is the one that found it, then that should be fine. But if you guys like to hunt the same caches, but at different times, the only way to go is seperate accounts.

In the end, it's what makes you most comfortable.

It's only inflating the numbers if you log a cache twice because both members of the team found it. If you decide to log as a team you get one smiley for each time a cache is found by the Team. I say create seperate accounts. That way as your caching history evoloves, and you may go on seperate hunts the numbers will be more accurate.

If my SO was more interested in caching in the beginning I would have encouraged her to get her own account. Since she only goes out with me on occasion, and never on her own she has never bothered to log her finds online, but occasionally upon prompting will sign the log book for both of us. :D

In return I occasionally go to the symphony or see a movie/play I don't want to. :blink:

I'd rather eat spiderwebs and get muddy and tired. :D

But in the end, don't listen to us, do what your hearts tell you is best for the two of you. :D

I've seen it done both ways, and both ways work fine. The only kind of weird thing I've seen done is one couple that logged their finds individually, and when they hid caches, the other partner would always claim FTF on the cache even though they were there when it was placed. That always seemed to bug me. :blink:

--Marky

Right now we have a joint account, our cache finds more or less reflect my cache finds as my SO has not cached without me, I have 46 solo finds on caches she did want to go out and find (she does not like urban micros, night caches, difficult terrain and long multi/puzzle caches (she hates it when I say, "These are calculated co-ordinates, I might have made a mistake"), she does like a nice hike to a special location or finding that little jem of a park we did not know was there before). If she starts to go caching without me :blink: then I would like seperate accounts to reflect her cache finds and caching experience that would then be different them my own.

Edited by Car37&Holly