Yet Another Missing Tb

Well once again our travel bug has gone missing!

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=32096

The details of the bug can be found at the link above... What I can't understand is why people bother to cache and take TB's when they cannot be bothered to log their finds?!?!?

I spent a long time tracking the last person that did this and as a result of which received a warning from GC.com... apparently i was harassing the individual!

Well... all I can say is that I will not be bothering with TB's in the future and to be honest I'm so annoyed that at present I can't even be bothered to cache!

The bug was last seen here: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...bc-2122f7b5d878

If anyone knows who has it or even has it in their possesion please log it and release it!

You seem to have your TB in one of the "on-line phantoms", some one who goes caching but has a phobia to loging finds on-line. Hopefully the TB will turn up in another cache, but wont be showing due to the placers non on-line logging. Concact the cache owner, or leave a note on the cache page, asking if anyone after Paul, has loged the cache in the log book, but not on-line. I personaly have come across 3 logs from cachers who never log on-line, one beat me to a FTF by a day, which p***ed me off, as I thought that I was going for a FTF on the cache.

Dave

Hi Real Badger, do you have a picture of the TB or a description to help jog my memory? I can remember the cache and remember making a TB trade. What I'm interested in is the next logged visit which was daznju (ahead of katricks by virtue of the London Bus TB) who took a small teddy bear.

You will also notice also that katricks declared taking the London Bus TB but it's still on the cache inventory.

Without meaning to point the finger I am very suspicious that the solution to your missing TB is likely to be found in the above.

Maybe Daisy can take her man along to check out the log book as Dave suggests so as to rule out any phantom loggers.

It would be very unfortunate if you were to give up on Geocaching over this incident so if I can be of any further help just ask.

Good luck.

I have got to relaunch 2 of my three TB's and there is some doubt on the third one. Not going to use the duplicate tags making up a laminated one. Main problem for us appears to be newer cachers (3,4 finds) who just give up the sport. Hasn't stopped us caching and moving on TB's when we find them though. Some TB's turn up out of the blue. The longevity clinic in the TB forum has some usefull stuff as well on how to help a TB survive. Lots of people don't know how to log them.

Another possible explaination is that a cacher might have accidently logged the TB at a cache different to the one where he left it. I just had such a case yesterday, where I found a GeoCoin in cache A even though it was supposed to be in cache B. If I hadn't found it, people finding cache B might have thought the bug was missing while it was safe in cache A. Just give it some time, get more TBs and don't get attached to individual ones.

Roolku

Thanks everyone!

As for the description, it is a TB dog tag attached to a keyring which reads "little muffin travel bug" on one side and has a picture of a muffin with a heart in the middle on the other.

Pyoung1s... I had thought of that and have emailed the relevant parties who had gone to the cache after you... only one reply as yet!

As for giving up caching this is one in a long line of similar incidents which have slowly annoyed me more each time. Unfortunately the time it takes to chase people and the fact that you end up being told you are abusing email priveliges/harassing people makes it even worse!

I probably won't give up as I am off on a RTW trip next week and will cache in some lovely tropical locations!

Shame... because the idea was to see if the TB's could get to their target destinations before me!

You seem to have your TB in one of the "on-line phantoms", some one who goes caching but has a phobia to loging finds on-line.

Hopefully the TB will turn up in another cache, but I personaly have come across 3 logs from cachers who never log on-line, one beat me to a FTF by a day, which p***ed me off, as I thought that I was going for a FTF on the cache.

Dave

I hope the TB turns up - most annoying <_<

Oddly enough, we've just received an e-mail notification from a couple of watched caches that have just been logged - found last September.

Don't give up hope on your missing travel bug. My only TB was taken by people who didn't log online, and it disappeared for three months. But they then signed up with gc.com, started logging online, and placed the TB in another cache. It's since travelled over six thousand miles. And I know that other TBs have gone missing for longer than that and then reappeared.

caches that have just been logged - found last September

Now what is the point in that? I love logging caches as soon as i find them! Isn't that the whole point of having a logging system in the first place? Or am I mistaken?

I've been unable to log caches for as long as three weeks in the past, when on holiday for instance. Some people keep manual notes and write them up afterwards when they have time, some people don't bother. You can't make people log, and it is down to personal choice.

I have an idea for your bug though. If you are fairly sure that your bug has definitely gone, you could laminate a piece of paper and put the TB code on it as well as a description of what happened to your old tag. A DIY tag, with a genuine code. It can still be tracked.

The whole question about harassment is a difficult one. One 'polite reminder' would doubtless be ok - a series of them might not.

Here in Norn Iron, we have a notorious local cacher who is in the habit of taking TBs from caches and dropping them off again elsewhere (often months later) - all of course, unrecorded. (He just did it again, last week ... <_< )

If the 'polite reminder' doesn't work, then we are not simply dealing with someone who doesn't understand how Travel Bugs work. By implication, the individual concerned is either completely thoughtless or (as in the case just quoted) thunderingly stupid.

This is where you should ask the UK admins to intervene. THAT (after all) is what they get the big money for... ;)

Not a bad idea Stuey, however, there's not a lot to say the same won't happen again! As you can tell I am mighty pi**ed that this has happened to me again!

Oh and I concede the point about holidays etc... what's a holiday again?

Hopefully some of your RTW trip is holiday <_<. Have a great time!

This is where you should ask the UK admins to intervene.  THAT (after all) is what they get the big money for...  :blink:

No, they get the "big money" to finance their regular caching trips to California. :huh::blink::blink:

They?...........California?..............I wish :blink:

Eckington

.......sat at his desk since sparrow fart, as usual, waiting for people to ring in sick and arrange a cover timetable......

You will also notice also that katricks declared taking the London Bus TB but it's still on the cache inventory.

Without meaning to point the finger I am very suspicious that the solution to your missing TB is likely to be found in the above.

Sadly (or not, depending on your perspective), this cacher does not have the TB and assures me that she has a nice shiny London Bus! TB that is!

Oh well... as you all say, it may turn up eventually!

But yes...

the individual concerned is either completely thoughtless or (as in the case just quoted) thunderingly stupid.