Can You Imagine Living In......

Stuey

Talk about a cache drought. I was looking at my Memory-Map with all caches displayed and there is a great big gap around Hereford. Doing a search on GC:UK shows 20+ kilometres to the nearest cache. You'd need an efficient car to get started caching.

Does anyone live in Hereford? Do you live in a similar cache desert?

Talk about a cache drought. I was looking at my Memory-Map with all caches displayed and there is a great big gap around Hereford. Doing a search on GC:UK shows 20+ kilometres to the nearest cache. You'd need an efficient car to get started caching.

Does anyone live in Hereford? Do you live in a similar cache desert?

Flipping heck! I've got 120 within that radius, only seven unfound though.

Crikey - I'll echo Rutson's comment - 197 within 20 miles of here. A great deal more than 7 unfound though :D

Interestingly they are laid by a huge variety of cachers, there must be some areas where a single cacher is responsible for the majority of the caches and without these people other "deserts" would exist.

Hmm, only 100 with 20km, (I automaticaly favoured imperial over metric without checking, oops) Someone with a better memory of A level maths will say obviously because of Coles Law and Pie or something, but I reckon it's to do with there being only 15 caches in the Solent. (13 on IOW, 1 on Pewit and one on Burrow.)

there is a great big gap around Hereford. Doing a search on GC:UK shows 20+ kilometres to the nearest cache.

I suspect that there are a helluvalot of unpublished caches around Hereford; they're just not geocaches.

There's a local Army Regiment near you which is superbly and frequently trained how to make and find caches. They do so because their lives sometimes depend upon being able to find caches when they need to.

Their caches contain anything from food to ammunition to data and they do not have geocaching's limitations which prohibit burial with digging implements, but they are otherwise very similar to the sort of caches which we love to hide and find.

Troopers in 22 are well trained by instructors who were very well trained in how to measure the co-ords (with or without GPS) of cache sites. At least one trooper in each patrol is trained to a very high standard of land navigation in how to ascertain co-ords and how to find the physical location of any given set of co-ordinates.

The problem with finding their caches is, for us, that they tend not to publish the co-ords of them!

Cheers, The Forester

Former CI

Tell me about it!!!!!!!! I live in Herefordshire, why else would I do my caching in North Wales and Yorkshire!!! ( Only joking I love North Wales and spend quite some time up there.)

Once I get my Gps for xmas (hopefully) I hope to place some caches near home.I live in the country and there are some lovely walks nearby .Have had the local regiment very close coming in by parachute and the helicopters come low over the house maybe they are looking for there secret caches.!!!!

Edited by motherduck