Trading Up And Geocoins

amytincan

I have read varying reports on geocoins and not trading up. so I'm confused, do I need to trade up or not?

In the cache fountain friendly I left a pair of dice, traded a hotwheel for another hotwheel and took the geocoin. I thought they were like travel bugs. So I didn't trade up for it, I took it, so I can move it along. So do I need to go put it back or go put something better in the cache.

Amy

Well and of course just because it has a tracking number on it doesn't mean you are going to keep moving it. I think most people that have personal coins or state coins don't think they are going to keep moving. I guess if it's a USA coin that most people think of as a TB then you can treat it as such. Anything thing else I think you should have something nice in your pack to trade for it.

Well and of course just because it has a tracking number on it doesn't mean you are going to keep moving it... I guess if it's a USA coin that most people think of as a TB then you can treat it as such. 

If it's a USA Geocoin (or CA Geocoin) with a tracking number you not only can treat it as a TB (keep it moving), you should. People who release coins with tracking numbers expect them to be kept moving, and to have each move logged. In that sense they are just like a travel bug.

This thread has the potential of confusing people into thinking they can trade for and keep geocoins with tracking numbers, which is really bad form. :ph34r:

Let's be clear - if it wasn't supposed to move, it wouldn't have a tracking number! Ergo, if it has a tracking number, you're not supposed to keep it.

If you want one to keep as a collectible, buy your own (USA Geocoins, Canadian Geocoins) - don't steal someone else's!

Not totally true. I know with the during the discussion to develop the Oregon coins (which are tracked) people stated they knew it was very likely the coins would end up in people's collections and still wanted tracking just to know where they were and who had them. The people that really wanted to make sure theirs kept moving sometimes added stickers asking people to keep them moving. We already have TBs, why turn anything with a number into a TB? Wanting them to move or not, if you make people feel like they can't trade at all to keep them I have a feeling more people will just take them from caches without noting it anywhere.

If you make people feel like they can't trade at all to keep them I have a feeling more people will just take them from caches without noting it anywhere.

So you believe that if people clearly know that it's wrong to keep a numbered Geocoin, they'll take it anyway and just avoid logging it? :ph34r:

I hope that most geocachers have more character than that.

Let's be clear- it's not wrong to keep a numbered coin. As ND stated, msot owners will tag their coins with stickers if they want them to keep moving.

As an owner of many coins (and personal coins in the works) I realize that many will end up in collections and that's OK. A few will be tagged and requested to keep moving but it's unlikely.

Bottom line: if you don't know, email the owner and ask. If in doubt at the cache itself, trade for it. The worst you've done is picked up a TB and left a nice item for it - is that so bad?

Since some people will take a trade item in exchange for a TB type item, I suggest reading the logs. If a TB was dropped off (a net increase in the number of items in the cache) then just take the TB. If TB's were exchanged then you have to work back in time to the initial drop off.

If someone exchanged a TB for a trade item, the cache will end up shortchanged if you just take the TB. So I would suggest leaving a trade item in that case.

Pffft!

Just cause you don't HAVE to, why not ?

Leave some swag in the cache for te next person.

Ed

I'm not really sure what you mean by pbbbttt! (LOL)

Pfffft is the sound of me blowing raspberries at the notion that just just because you don't HAVE to trade, that you shouldn't. :unsure:

Ed

that wasn't my notion Ed. you can see there is a lot of confusion on the issue. you're not helping as far as clarity goes. (and I really do want to play fair)

I think it's a fantastic idea to pay for a item with it's own page on gc.com, with tracking capabilities, specifically so that it can be removed from circulation.

I am amazed more people aren't forking out the cash!

Come'on people more forking!

Well you have a point with USA coins, but there are a ton of other coins that can be tracked on other sites and some that aren't. I personally think USA coins should be moved along, but all others are fair game unless noted otherwise. If you want a TB then buy a TB, I think is the answer to anyone that would cry if their coin disappeared from circulation.

I think is the answer to anyone that would cry if their coin disappeared from circulation.

Personally, base on what really happens to geocoins, I think most people think they are high-grade collectables.

My main issue is that they are marketed as travel bugs, however that is not how they are treated. I've seen many people disappointed after their coin disappeared after two or three caches.

If they are trackable I'd like to see this community support keeping them in circulation. If most people want to collect them? fine, then sell them as collectables.

If I ever bought geocoins, I would never assume they could be released as a traveling item. I would release them knowing full well they'll be gone from circulation within a week, but at least I'd know what I was paying for. How many other cachers know what will happen after forking out their cash?

Edited by 11 After
How many other cachers know what will happen after forking out their cash?

I reciently bought 4 USA Geocoins. I have so far only released 1. And have another activated to release. I am hoping to get as much milage out of them that I can but know full well that they will be snagged and go missing. But that is the nature of the beast.