Yo Jeremy!

Chaz

I want to change my geotag from "CheesyChaz" to just "Chaz." The problem is someone already has the name in the database. ;) The profile here shows he hasn't visited since he created the account back in 2001. Is there some way you can delete it or edit his name?

Thanks

-Chaz

If I were Jeremy, I'd only do it if you promised to change that avatar.

Listen to "squid boy" talking about someone else's avatar. ;)

that's not squid - it's clams

dead clams more precisely

Don't make BrianSnat elighnten you with the squid avitar...

On topic. It's been done before in similar circumstances. IE the name was never used and appears to be dead.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Why is that? If the account is long dead, what would it matter if they had hides or finds?

I can change my name from Markwell to MãřķŵèŀĻ (if the characters were allowed) and that would not affect my hides or finds, since I'm associated in the database with an actual user number (A=5518 as in http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.aspx?A=5518 ). It matters not what my name is.

So, it becomes a question of when to do it. Let's say that Chaz had one find on a virtual that was done in December of 2000 and hasn't logged into the site since. IN THEORY, how is that account any different than the one that someone created and never used? The name can be changed to Chaz-OLD or something like that and CheesyChaz then has the ability to change to Chaz. The hides and finds would migrate with the accounts, not the names.

I guarantee it would be possible. Now, would it be RIGHT? That's up to the site administrator.

Edited by Markwell
Why is that? If the account is long dead, what would it matter if they had hides or finds?

If the account were to be deleted, then the cache finds would disappear. Likely on he cache itself. So if one of my caches were found 10 times, once by this person, the count would drop to 9. Hides... same thing. One of my finds against that account would have to be dropped. That would make some people very very upset! So.. if the person has hides/finds, then the account needs to stay active.

As far as renaming... what if that person came back 5 years later and wanted to log in? They would not be able to do so without a lot of research. And what if someone wanted to use the name "Chaz-OLD" since their son is named "Chaz-YOUNG"? The renamed account should be totally arbitrary and cryptic.

IMHO - The best bet in this situation is to kill the old account if it has absolutly no activity.

$.02

My guess is that the system should be able to handle changing Chaz to Chaz$ and keeping that account active as Chaz$. That should allow someone else to pick Chaz as the name.

If that didn't work (the above solution) then we wouldn't be able to change our names and have everything follow us.

And I wouldn't "kill" the old account. I would rename it to another name.

Edited by Team DEMP

Databasers HATE deleting anything. Data that needs to "go away" on Geocaching.com is archived (not readily seen). That's why archived caches are still available, and the only way that someone can truly commit Geo-cide is to manually go out and delete all of their finds.

I'm 90% sure that Jeremy or Elias would not delete an old account, but change the name on the old account. It has been done before, but the circumstances are rare.

Maybe someone could markwell it. I remember it on the Geocaching.com specific forum...

Edited by Markwell
Databasers HATE deleting anything. ...the only way that someone can truly commit Geo-cide is to manually go out and delete all of their finds.

I am almost postive the code that "deletes" any logs, found or otherwise, doesn't really delete them either. They are still connected to your profile. The closest you can get to geo-cide is to first edit them to almost nothing like a single letter then "delete" them.

We do this occasionally for users when they meet the criteria below:

1) The user has no logs or hides.

2) The user has not logged in for a long time.

This username meets the criteria so I have made the change as you requested. In the future please make these kinds of requests through the contact email address.