Muggles

Shuecrew

I have a question concerning how to deal with curious Muggles. My very first find was a micro in a park that is heavily used. I went very early, but still: a ton of muggles. To make matters worse, I had difficulty retrieving the cache. I tried desperately to be descrete, but alas, I had MANY strange looks. No one said anything, but I was concerned that someone would inspect the area after I had gone. How do most cachers handle a situation like this? What if I'm directly approached and asked what I'm doing? Is there a simple explanation I can use (high tech scavenger hunt?) or must I go into details? I guess mostly I need to play it by ear, but I'm so new to this (5 caches) my stress level about "getting caught" so to speak is pretty high, and kept me from attempting 3 different caches yesterday.

thanks for any suggestions!

Edited by beashue

Thanks Thot for that string of posts about responses to curious muggles. All of them are great. I looked around a little bit for some posts about it but couldn't find anything. I would have never thought of the clip board in a million years. I'm definitely going to get one. Also, I like using the GPS as a cell phone - EXCELLENT!

I guess mostly I need to play it by ear, but I'm so new to this (5 caches) my stress level about "getting caught" so to speak is pretty high, and kept me from attempting 3 different caches yesterday.

I stress about that, too. I ultimately decided that I don't like doing urban parks for that very reason. Hey, I love a nice walk in the woods, anyhow, so until I cache all those out, that's where I concentrate.

Early on, though, you do them all. Twice, I explained what I was doing and it was clear neither person liked the idea of a cache in the neighborhood. I've since made general conversation, often about my GPS (without explaining quite what I was using it for).

Similar to the clipboard is the orange vest. I've just ordered one from the geocaching store. I needed the orange blaze, anyhow. I have a terrible suspicion that anyone seeing me in one with a CITO bag will immediately assume I'm doing community service (working off my latest DUI or something. I have to start going out looking less scruffy). But, hey, all the more reason they'd want to leave me alone B)

I have to start going out looking less scruffy). But, hey, all the more reason they'd want to leave me alone B)

Now THERE'S an idea. B) Go out looking like a homeless person. Be sure to mumble to yourself and be seen arguing with a tree or lamp post. No one will come near you. In fact, they will quickly vacate the area, leaving you to search in peace.

I invite them to join in on the fun.

at www.geocacher-u.com There is a very handy pdf file that you can print out a 'business card' I been handing these out and have always been well received.

Have not tried for micros that would lean towards suspicious activity.

It appears that some want to be so 'discrete' that it draws more attention than otherwise. This is a fast expanding sport/game and always room for more.

My approach to this has been to be positive spokesperson towards geocaching. Willing to take the time to 'splain it', promote it and further emphasizing that 'most' of us are earth friendly and responsible.

Another thing to do is take a dog leash (even if you don't own a dog) and pretend you are looking for your mutt. It used to help a friend of mine who collected old beer cans. I agree that honesty is the best policy when confronted. I have to get some of those business cards.

Carry a clipboard, and act like you're supposed to be there. In America, you can go anywhere if you're carrying a clipboard.

The clip board is a awesome idea that I have not heard of befor.

I will be getting one Monday morning B)

Bring your digital camera with. Start taking photo's of the area and people are sure to leave. For some reason people don't like to be in photo's. B)

Pretending to talk on your cell phone also works GREAT! You can pretend to be "on hold" while appearing to pace back and forth, when in reality you are looking for the cache.

If you don't have a cell phone with you, you can use your GPSr as a "cell phone", or also a "digital camera" for that matter.

What's really fun is to start having a pretend argument on your phone.

Another thing to do is take a dog leash (even if you don't own a dog) and pretend you are looking for your mutt.

But then you run the risk of attracting dog lovers who want to help you find your "missing" dog.

Good point! I thought about including that in my post but didn't have a real witty comment. :blink:

... right. Yeah, I'm looking for my lost dog in the holes of a fallen tree. <_<

Let's see...

I've been caught once -- I thought I was being discreet, until a voice behind me asked, "What are you looking for?" I explained the game and the girl seemed to think it was hysterical.

For the rest of that hunt I pretended I was looking for *the* perfect red maple leaf on the ground while searching around for the cache.

I also recently went to Staples to buy an aluminum clipboard -- finally.. I've been eyeing one of these since second-year-Engineering in university, which was... ooh... 6 years ago now. Finally got my excuse to own one. Now all I need is the orange reflective vest and I'm all set.

One time, I arrived at a cache location which was pretty deviously hidden right at a "WELCOME TO ______sville!" sign. There was a van parked right on the lawn in front of the sign and the occupants were sweeping the grounds around it. I waited in a nearby shop while they were doing this. Actually, I thought maybe they were cachers, using the cleaning as an elaborate ploy. Especially when they took out a digital camera and started taking pictures. As soon as they drove off, I drove in, parking right at the same spot they were at. I brought a plastic bag and started CITO'ng the heck out of everything (if they were cleaners, they sure didn't do a very good job...) They didn't sign the log, so I think they really were cleaners.

It helped that I was wearing a tan shirt that exactly matched the color of my tan cargo pants, so I must have looked like a park ranger type person. I'm thinking that, along with my clipboard, might be a real good thing for being discreet next time.

I just want to let you all know... I went after a cache at lunch today (DNF <_< ) but I used the "GPS as a cell phone" trick and it was excellent. I'm sure it just made me feel better - but what a great idea.

Thanks everyone for all the ideas!

I once had a muggle ask me if I was trying to get cell phone reception...

At the time i was *not* being descrete while looking for a cache with my etrex yellow.

I took the opportunity to tell him I'd make the call later and get out of there.

A couple of times this Summer, when someone's walked up to me while I was poking around a hollow tree or a stone wall, I've called out cheerily, "I saw a chipmunk go in there!" We've had a bumper crop of chipmunks this year, so I was quite proud of the ad lib.

The last person I said that to, though, got this look like "so what're you going to do, lady, bite its head off?" And it occurred to me...yeah, what was I going to do with it?