Log Your Own Caches?

I don't know if you _can_, I've never tried - but it seems like a very silly thing to do, if you're not deliberately trying to inflate your stats. It's not like you have to "find" the cache - if you placed it you know exactly where it is.

For events it may be different, but I still don't think that I would log an event that I had arranged (although I don't think that I'd ever arrange an event either).

I'm assuming that by "log" you mean "log as found" and not just "post a note".

Someone logged one of his own caches as found because the old hiding place became unusable and a cacher who found it searched a new place for the cache and placed it there. The owner had to search for his own cache so why not logging this as a find?

We as finders don’t go back and log finds on every cache that has moved, just because it moved. It would be ridiculous if we did. It doesn’t’ change for owners.

Well, I could see a case... In fact, it almost happened to me.

There was this abandoned cache that needed maitenance. Somebody found it and one that I was already maintaining for a 3rd party. They emailed me that this same 3rd paty had this other cache and could I work with the owner to maintain it. Turned out the owner wanted to pass ownership to me.

I had to go find the cache in order to fix it up and take ownership. Ended up archiving it and setting a new cache in the same area. But, I did log the other one as a find. I had to find it!!!

Now, should I as the new owner not log a find since I was not the one to hide it?

This get's really complex real quick.

Now, for the few other caches that I own, no. Wouldn't dream of logging them as a find. Oops. Forgot the first cache I found -- the one I was maintaining for the 3rd party. I own that cache now also. Maybe I should go back and remove my find. Wouldn't want to newbies to get the wrong idea.

Yes, many people have pointed out some exceptions to the "not logging your own cache" expectation.

I think the main idea really isn't about logging a find on a cache you own, it's more about logging a find on a cache you've hidden.

Logging a find on a cache you've been asked to adopt, well, you've got to go find it if you haven't already, right? A legitimate find.

You started a moving cache and administer the cache, and maybe hid it the first time, but did you hide it the last time it was moved? No? You find it and that should count, too.

You are asked to watch over a cache placed by someone else, it's under your account, but you weren't with the person when it was hidden. You don't know exactly where it is. You go find it (a good idea BTW if your going to be the owner*) and it's a find.

I'd say all of these are perfectly good examples of an owner finding one of his own caches. He didn't know exactly where it was, so he had to find it--log it as such.

No, when someone hides your cache back in the right spot, not a find.

I think the only argument is how far away from the proper hiding spot someone "replaces" the cache should it count as a find. I'd say if it's within acceptable error, then it's not a find.

*We adopted a multi which had been changed after we found it. We didn't go and check on it like a good owner would. Well, it came up missing. It's embarrassing to ask a recent finder to check on a cache you are supposed to be looking over because you've never laid eyes on it. :anibad::lol:

Edited by CoyoteRed
I think the main idea really isn't about logging a find on a cache you own, it's more about logging a find on a cache you've hidden.

That is the point. Even if you don't own it, if you helped hide it logging a find would be cheesy.

...and the reason you don't help a friend hide a cache!

Just say "No."

:anibad:

I was wondering, someone told me you could log your own caches that you hide? I dont know how true it is but I was wondering if someone could explain the situation to me.

Thank you

You "can" but why would you? You hid it, you know where it is, you didn't "find" it you placed it where it is.

Thorin

Even if you don't own it, if you helped hide it logging a find would be cheesy.

Oh, I've done that a couple of times. I'm co-owner on a few caches near me but they were not listed under my account. I've logged these caches online so that they don't keep coming up in my pocket queries for nearby caches that I haven't found.

Even if you don't own it, if you helped hide it logging a find would be cheesy.

Oh, I've done that a couple of times. I'm co-owner on a few caches near me but they were not listed under my account. I've logged these caches online so that they don't keep coming up in my pocket queries for nearby caches that I haven't found.

I've done it as well. So have the vast majority of cachers that I've cached with. Until you can both get 'credit' for a hide one will hide and one will find. When you can get credit for a joint hide then people will start handling the situation differently. That you can put anyone you want on who hid the cache and have it show up that way isn't credit.

Besides I've hidden a cache within 10' of the person helping me scout for a hide and it still took them 10 min to find the cache. I use them to help me assess the difficulty and other things.

That is the point. Even if you don't own it, if you helped hide it logging a find would be cheesy.

...and the reason you don't help a friend hide a cache!

Just say "No."

:anibad:

Agreed :lol: