Trading In Your Own Cache

Neos2

I recently saw something in our cache when I went to drop off a TB -- a really nice handmade bookmark. I would have loved to take it, but didn't. I emailed the person who made it to tell her I really liked it, and she very nicely offered to send me one. It didn't feel right to accept, so I didn't, and then later she emailed me after she had dropped a similar one off in a cache we hadn't found yet. It was halfway between home and work, so we left half an hour early the next morning and snagged it on the way in to work. And the best part was, I liked this second one even better than the first one I had seen.

If I found something I really liked in my own cache, I would have no problems trading, especially because I filled my first cache with some really good stuff. However, I have yet to find anything really appealing in any of the 48 caches I have found.

I am carrying around some really cool fossil fishes in my cache bag, but I just can't bring myself to trade a 100 million year old fossil fish skeleton for a novelty pencil eraser. . . .

Let me know if you drop a fossil fish in Oregon - I'd LOVE to find that!!! :huh:

I'd love to go to Oregon! Don't have any immediate plans, but when/if I do, I'll drop a fossil fish or other cool fossil for you to find.

I've decided that fossils are going to be my signature/trade item. The FTF prize for my cache was a polished fossil ammonite from Madagascar. The cacher that found it was very happy to take it home to his son. I have had good luck recently finding wholesale lots of fossils on ebay for very reasonable prices, and even if they are not expensive, the uniqueness and wow factor of seeing a 100 million year old fish is priceless. . . .

I've only found one item that I really liked while doing maintenance. :huh: Yes I swapped out, item for item, actually I left two for the one I took. :blink:

I've decided that fossils are going to be my signature/trade item.  I have had good luck recently finding wholesale lots of fossils for very reasonable prices, and even if they are not expensive, the uniqueness and wow factor of seeing a 100 million year old fish is priceless. . .  .

Not to hijack this thread, but I came across one of those fossils, here recently. It was left by a player "Fossil Doc II" who does the same thing. It was a shark tooth, and it was a "WOW" in my book. Neat and educational idea.

Now to get back on topic. I think as long as you trade fair or up there should be no problem. If you aren't sure or have doubts if you traded fairly, then leave an extra item. I won't hurt, :blink: especially if you really want the item. SF1

Let me know if you drop a fossil fish in Oregon - I'd LOVE to find that!!!    :huh:

I'd love to go to Oregon! Don't have any immediate plans, but when/if I do, I'll drop a fossil fish or other cool fossil for you to find.

I've decided that fossils are going to be my signature/trade item. The FTF prize for my cache was a polished fossil ammonite from Madagascar. The cacher that found it was very happy to take it home to his son. I have had good luck recently finding wholesale lots of fossils on ebay for very reasonable prices, and even if they are not expensive, the uniqueness and wow factor of seeing a 100 million year old fish is priceless. . . .

OUr family recently vacationed in New Bern NC. We visited Aurora NC where they have a very nice Museum filled with Sea Fossils including tons of ancient Shark Teeth.

Here is the cool part. all of theas fossils come out of the nearby PCS Phosphate mine. The Mine regularly screans out the silt & fine muck & dumps loads of Fossil rich ore in heaps right in front of the museum. You can sit there & pick out Shark Teeth, ancient Whale vertabra, jaws etc & all sorts of other shells & fossils. In 15 Minutes I found a dozzen Shark Teeth including several large ones. You can also by very large teeth in the Museum for $1 - $10 each.

The Museum also has a great movie that explains how all theas fossils got to be there , and how the mine works, and what phosphates are used for.....

Check out http://www.pamlico.com/aurora/fossils/

Aurora Fossil Museum

400 Main St.

Aurora, NC 27806-0352

Telephone: (252) 322-4238

I have a couple of times. As long as I replace it with something of equal value, I don't see the issue.

What he said. I've even traded down in my own caches when the container has been so filled up, that the lid didn't close at all. Removed something less valuable, and problem solved.

Thanks to all who replied. It was interesting reading the answers, which didn't very as much as I thought they might...

I have only placed one cache so far, but my take on the idea is that since I put the original contents in there anyway, I certainly ought to be able to trade for an item in the cache. After all, the person might have traded one of my items for the desired item.

I doubt that I would do it every time I do maintence--somehow that seems wrong--but once in awhile for something really appealing seems reasonable, I think.

I collect sig items, too, and feel sure that I wouldn't hesitate to take one out of my cache --of course, it would be more fun to find one in a cache I was hunting but only because I would have the thrill of finding the new cache as well as the pleasure of finding the sig item...

By the way, since I teach Earth Science at a local high school, fossil fish would be welcome in my cache anytime! Need directions? :lol:

I don't see a problem with this practice either and would probably do so myself in certain cases.

I'm going to add a new expansion question to the original...

When swapping out stuff or trading stuff in your own cache, do you log it as a notation on the cache web page? Or do you just not say anything about it?

Just curious what those who do this do to keep the records straight. Especially considering that some folks will note an item dropped in a cache and then seek it specifically to make that trade. Wouldn't they be surprised to find it had been absconded and not mentioned!!

Edited by Prairie Jeepin

Original poster here, on another account...

I think that I would leave a note if I took something out of my cache--especially if it was something that someone had mentioned in an online note. You are right, Prarie Jeepin, some people would go there just for a certain item, and I would want them to know if it was missing...

...of course, that could open an ugly can of worms--if someone came all the way out to the cache for a certain item, but I had been there just before them and removed it, and then they got home and found that the owner of the cache had taken it---well, they might be a bit peeved. One way to look at that is that the owner already knows where the cache is--so in some ways it 'isn't fair' for them to run out and pick up good things that get dropped off ALL the time. That is why I said that I would do it often, but I might do it once in a while.

hmmmmm, leaving a visit note is probably a good idea but certainly not mandatory.

Let's be real. Caching specifically to find an item you can buy at a store is silly. Really, the only trade item anyone might be looking for is signature items. If the cacher knows it's there, then the owner probably found out at the same time via the same notice. Sure the owner has an advantage knowing where the cache is, but they have no obvious advantage over a previous finder watching the cache postings. Taking more than is fair is pushing the question to the extreme situation and I didn’t think that was the point of the original question.

Edited by Elf Danach