Compass Suggestions: Got Any?

DanIAm

I went to Academy a local sporting store the other day to purchase a topo-atlas and a compass. I came home only with the state topo. I was overwelmed at the large variety of compass' they had there. I had no idea where to start or what to look for. I am pretty sure I don't need one of the $90 military units. However, do I really want to buy my one going for $2.89? There were options for map compatable, options for those that simple said 'compass' on it's packaging. Those with the thin wire on it's cover, and so on. I have no idea what I need or could use at a reasonable cost for geocaching. Aside from geocaching I would like to stat hiking in which I am sure I would need a compass for that as well. I would appriciate any suggestions you care to give.

Thanks,

GG

GeocachingGuy@cox.net

I have the Eclipse 99 Pro, great for sighting and map work (also fairly expensive), but any good mirror compass would suffice for this purpose. An Eclipse GPS model would be a good combo with a map. The Ranger would save you quite a bit of money for use with maps. I still consider a mirror compass very important for accurate sighting. Good luck!

"Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused"

Suunto's are nice, Bruntons are real nice. Use both of them. Start out with a simple baseplate then work up.

One thing to look for on any compass is that

the scale matches american maps. Some Silvas have the 1:25K scale which makes it almost useless with our map scale.

When I get back from doing my Land Navigation Course tomorrow I'll send you several links on compasses.

Tahosa - Dweller of Mountain Tops.

buy THREE cheap compasses that only have magnetic (don't worry about declination), set your gps's north reference to magnetic, and after you give me one of the compasses, you can still lose one!!!

$7-15 is good enough for now

I get decent compasses for $10 canadian

and no, you cannot borrow $3.00, what do you need $2.00 for? I haven't got a buck

icon_biggrin.gif

An inexpensive base plate model should do. Silva, Suunto and Brunton are good brands.

I also found this:

Features which make a compass undesirable or unsuitable:

* Lack of a straight edge for plotting lines on a map

* Lack of declination adjustment

* Lack of meridian lines inside the bezel

* Small size -- less than 3.5" x 2.2"

* Small bezel - less than 2" in diameter

on this web page.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on August 27, 2003 at 03:51 AM.]

I have both a military lensatic compass and a Silva Ranger--The Silva was reasonably priced and I haven't needed any features that it doesn't have.

"Wear a smile and have friends; wear a scowl and have wrinkles. What do we live for if not to make the world less difficult for each other?"--George Eliot

MnGCA-Button.gif

I apologize for the 3 duplicate threads. I thought something was wrong. In the past I would enter a thread and it would show instantly. As it does on any other message board I have both ran and been a part of. When I didn't see the thread show I came back and wrote it again... and uh... again. Hence three threads on the same topic. Thanks!

GeocachingGuy@cox.net

I apologize for the 3 duplicate threads. I thought something was wrong. In the past I would enter a thread and it would show instantly. As it does on any other message board I have both ran and been a part of. When I didn't see the thread show I came back and wrote it again... and uh... again. Hence three threads on the same topic. Thanks!

GeocachingGuy@cox.net

quote:
Originally posted by Tahosa:

When I get back from doing my Land Navigation Course tomorrow I'll send you several links on compasses.

Looking forward to it, thanks! BTW, where I can go to take a land navigation course. In all honesty I had to take this class in JROTC, but sheesh that was highschool and I was half asleep. icon_biggrin.gif

GeocachingGuy@cox.net

The baseplate compasses already mentioned work great for map work. In the field, or for triangulating a cache in a tough reception area, you'll either want a good mirrored siting version, or something like the suunto KB-20 vista sighting compass. (I love the ease of getting an accurate sighting with mine compared to my mirrored units) A lot has to do with how you intend to use the compass however, so by learning more about the whole navigation thing you're off to a great start.

I use Silva compasses for land navigation. I've also used the miltary models when I was doing my training.

A compass will not do you much good if you don't know how to use it with a map. Check out some local organizations for courses and map and compass work, or orienteering.

That Quack Cacher:

Lone Duck

When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.

You don't need a compass for hiking. Using a USGS quad map with you GPS switched to UTM position will place your location better than any compass. (watch the flaming!)

The compass is good however for backup in case your GPS fails and the suggestion about learning how to use it is good. A baseplate compass is also a fun thing to use with a quad map but not really necessary with a GPS.

Of course I have a unit with built in compass which lets me see direction without moving or a need for satellite reception (you didn't mention the type GPS you have). The on board compass also allow projection, sighting, etc.

Alan

I use a fairly inexpensive model that has a fold up cover. I use it when I get out of the car to figure out which direction to go after doing a "go to" on the GPS. Then I will use it along the way when I'm not sure which path to take when I come to a Y in the trail. My older GPS doesn't always show the proper relation of my path on the map page, but the bearing direction is usually accurate. I then use it once I get to within .01 mile of the cache.

My NEXT compass will be one that has a lanyard for hanging it around my neck and NO foldup cover. I catch myself opening and closing it way too often. I put it in my pocket, then take it out,...so on and so on.

Gary

I bought a Brunton 26DNL Pioneer model before my last canoe trip in the Boundary Waters. It's my first compass.

Usually only one of us in our group of four brings a compass but I wanted to learn how to orienteer while I was on this trip.

I'm really happy with the Brunton and it was only around $17.

quote:
Originally posted by BadAndy:

Take it from an old boyscout, I've been using a compass for more than 30 years. Just about any decent model works fine. A liquid filled is a good feature. The trick is learning how to use it.

I'm with tha Bad Guy.....

Now, some of you should learn to use one too. Right, Bad? Whe I give orienteering lessons I always test the scouts knowledge by asking them to find some feature on the map that I am indicating by pointing or describing in the terrain. I always know I have a well traioned lad when the first thing he does is orient his map to the vivible terrain and then throw out his compass and start shooting bearings. However, some never catch onto this if they are shown ten times......

Like the old adage.... What is the most dangerous object to friendly forces on the battlefield? Answer... A friendly 2d Lt with a compass and map calling artillery fire (I were one of dem... onesit.....)

"For the captain had quitted the long drawn strife

And in far Simoree had taken a wife." ( R. Kipling)

I have a *lot* of experience with different models and types of compasses. I hope you find these suggestions helpful:

I've had terrible luck with Brunton, especially the Eclipse model. For one thing, the magnetic 'disk' in the compass is opaque, so you can't overlay the compass onto a map. Also, the base did not have an alignment grid for using with a map. And worst of all the writing on the comapss was merely painted on rather than etched in, so I had a perfectly blank pice of plastic after three days of carrying.

The Brunton map compass (little yellow thing) actually has the bearings on a paper sticker that lasted exactly three days.

Unless you have alternative needs for a mirror (makeup, signaling, whatever) don't spend the extra for a mirror model. They often break, require two hands and take longer to open and sight.

Personally, I normally buy the Suunto M-3. They are very smooth operating, the lettering is etched in and lasts longer than any other compass I've used, and the price is right.

Forestry Suppliers has much lower prices than local sporting good stores.

Happy shopping,

Bob