Spooky Caches

Pyewacket

The October issue of Today's Cacher will feature a Halloween theme, full of spooky material. I'm looking for stories of scary cache experiences. Perhaps you were on a night cache, and saw or heard things you can't explain. Maybe you were in an area so spooky that your mind played tricks on you. Possibly a night cache in a graveyard...

I'm not looking for stories of finding dead bodies, or realizing you're in a "pickle park" (I read about that today...scary in a whole new way), or nearly stepping on a snake, but Halloween-type scary material...ghosts and witches and spirits and things that go bump in the night...or woods.

If you have such an experience, or know someone who has, and would like to see it in Today's Cacher, please don't post it here; I'd like to keep things under wraps until the Halloween issue is made available. Email me at todays.cacher @ gmail.com (remove the spaces in the email addy) with details. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks very much.

P.S. If I don't receive many replies as a result to this thread, I'll move it to a more prominent location in the forums.

Edited by Pyewacket

Not exactly, but I'll chime in anyway.

There was this cache in McCall placed by a vacationer back in the day. It was posted with wrong coordinates. Some locals found it through diligence and knowing the area based on the description of the rock it was by. They posted corrected coordinates in their log.

However when Night Stalker and I went to hunt caches in McCall the owner had not updated their coordinates yet. We looked in the wrong location.

The hike wasn't too bad, about half a mile off the road by the GPS. We hiked down to a small stream. The stream wasn't quite right. The trees were starting to look a little funny. As we crossed over things kept slowly changing. We crested a ridge and hiked in a burnt out area from a forest fire. The trees were starting to look scrubby, it didn't help that they were all dead.

As we hit ground zero, the ground was all black. The fire had been some time ago, the smell of burnt things was no longer in the are but the crisp ash still crunched under your feet. The trees, all dead were bent and distorted like something out of a dark wood that would have served as a backdrop for a haunted wood. Strangly the trees were not burned. Only the ground.

When we realised the surroundings were actually creepy we kept waiting for the fog to roll in. It was the only thing missing.

Later we used the clue and found the cache, then we found the log with the right coordinates that we should of used. The cache was well over a mile away. I emailed the locals about using that wong location as a cache for a haunted wood. He liked the idea but an accident layed him up for a good while and I don't know if he ever did set the cache. I think he's still recovering.

Do a search in this forum with the word 'scary'. You'll find two pages of material, including Halloween caches. :D

I've already done that, and contacted several parties, but thanks so much for offering the tip. :D

S-4-C, I received your email and have replied. Perfect...thanks so much!

Edited by Pyewacket

One day, I was doing my first matenaince visit of my night cache alone, i was looking for a firetrack that was fell while i was hearing strange forest noises, i thought that the noise was made by a innofensive night animal, but that sound come from a big pine branch that it was being broken and it fell at 15 meters from me, i inmediatly hurry up to my car.

No more mantenaince visits at night alone ;)

After submitting my own story and reading through the rest of this thread, I decided I needed to set out a spooky cache of my own: It Is Very Dark

Any Zork gamers will recognize the reference. I figured with Halloween coming up it was a good time to set something like this up.

I know some of the locals read these forums so I don't want to give anyting away, :D but there's at least one surprise built into this one. I'm looking forward to reading the logs.

I once had an idea for such a cache. The cache page would mention that you had to be REEEEEAAL careful because there was some sort of criminal scare going on in the area, so the cops would be more alert than usual.

So you find the thing, all seems well and quiet. You start going thru the cache... then a police siren BLARES at you for two seconds from right behind you. You go into orbit, stuff the cache back into place, look around... no one there.

After your heart calms down, you try again...

What you DON'T know is that a movement detection switch, a radio transmitter and battery setup is hidden in a false bottom of the ammo can... and not far away is a hidden receiver, a delay timer, large battery and a siren... B):D:D

Edited by Sparrowhawk

That one is still one of my favorite logs of all time. It gave me the creeps just reading it the first time, and it still does.

I did hear a lot of spooky noises while looking for a cache at a cemetery near me. I kept hearing something that sounded like someone walking up behind me; everytime I turned around though, there was no one in sight. Fortunately it was during the day time - had that happened at night I'd probably have left skidmarks on the road from peeling out in my car.

The Wind Powered Pirates, Chef Will, and the federation teamed up to create Dark Side of the Moon a while back. Its a nighttime-only cache with reports of Florida's Skunk Ape roaming the area, waiting to prey on unsuspecting cachers. I was really hoping for a sighting while hunting for it, but didn't have any luck.

I've been hearing great things about this new halloween cache.

Raising the Dead

I hope to make it up to this one within the month.

Here's a spoiler video of my kids getting opening this cache, if you're planning on visiting this one, don't watch until after, but I would suggest taking your video camera!

Raising the dead video

The KayCees, muggle slayers, and Squib-seekers have been putting out some great caches in Cache Valley, Utah.

-Alallola

I've been hearing great things about this new halloween cache.

Raising the Dead

I hope to make it up to this one within the month.

Here's a spoiler video of my kids getting opening this cache, if you're planning on visiting this one, don't watch until after, but I would suggest taking your video camera!

Raising the dead video

The KayCees, muggle slayers, and Squib-seekers have been putting out some great caches in Cache Valley, Utah.

-Alallola

Where is that cache located? It looks cool

I won't give the name of the cache but it was in Yakima, WA. Not knowing the area, I rode my scooter from a RV site and walked about a mile on a levy when my GPS needle started swinging to the left. Went down in an area that had a fire go through it. Lots of sticky weeds around. Took me a while but I noticed a black sack in the top of a high burned out stump. I reached in and grabbed the sack when I heard this loud voice -"GET YOUR HANDS OUT OF THE COOKIE JAR.' I just about wet myself. The cache was in a fairly large cookie policeman. Yes, on the way back out, I noticed I could have parked much closer. Dick, W7WT