What Do You Do If A Cache Is Too Full?

SixDogTeam

What do you do if you find a cache container so full the lid won't stay on? Read this log:

Log Date: 8/31/2004

As I was picking up the cache, I got stuck by one of them @#^#&$! thorns that

was hiding under it. Finding the geocoin was worth it though.

The container is overfull, the lid is not staying on. The tigger TB is taking

up a lot of room. But I came here for the coin and the coin I am taking!!! I

was going to leave another TB, but there wasn't enough room so I left a HW car,

chess piece and small flag.

The lid won't stay on, but the way it is placed, it should be OK. TFTC

:):lol::):lol:

It is frustrating to see those notes when the solution is so simple.

The logbook and secondarily the contents should always be protected from the elements. Take Something, Leave Nothing is the honorable thing to do in this situation. This subject has come up several times this year and it would appear that it is a common problem.

Take something large, at least.

I just got back from two caches. The first was full, so I took the two largest things and left what I intended to leave after room was made. :) I wish I could be around when it inflates on the next visitor! (just kidding)

The next one was a large container with few things in it - I left everything I had for trading in it, including the two largest things I got from the first cache of the day.

The only trouble was, the log book in the second cache and several of the other goodies were water-logged. I removed anything wet and worthless and couldn't do anything to improve the condition of the logbook. The area had been recently flooded, and the container was not an airtight design.

The last cache before today I left packed, also. The next visitor commented in the online cache notes. :lol:

I've seen expired gift certificates in caches, which is a shame. Stuff's there to take, so take something, especally if it's going to compromise the seal of the container if you leave it. I try to leave more than I took, at least in number of things. But with loot caches, I always try to find something to take, even if it's just to move to another cache.

It is frustrating to see those notes when the solution is so simple. 

The logbook and secondarily the contents should always be protected from the elements.  Take Something, Leave Nothing is the honorable thing to do in this situation.  This subject has come up several times this year and it would appear that it is a common problem.

Super!!! Where do you folks live -

we seem to have the opposite problem - TSLN logged LS

took something - left nothing - logged left something

or TSLSRD took something left something really didn't

our caches are empty or full of junk shells and golf balls -

Anyone know a golfer needs some balls?

Edited by CompuCash

We have one cache that is a small tin about 2" x 3" x 1" in size and it is placed in a freeze bag and then in a pipe. We used the freeze bag to give it a little more protection from the elements. When we did our maintenance run this past weekend people had fill the baggie so full it barely closed!! We don't know how they got it back into the pipe without ripping something. I guess they really like that cache. :)

John

The only trouble was, the log book in the second cache and several of the other goodies were water-logged. I removed anything wet and worthless and couldn't do anything to improve the condition of the logbook.

We always have a replacement logbook in a baggy on us in case a cache needs a dry one. This is a common problem, as the ziplocks are not closed properly or they get punctured. I'm always amazed when I read a dozen or so logs in a row that complain of a soggy/ruined logbook...

We always have a replacement logbook in a baggy on us in case a cache needs a dry one. This is a common problem, as the ziplocks are not closed properly or they get punctured. I'm always amazed when I read a dozen or so logs in a row that complain of a soggy/ruined logbook...

Maybe after 2 or so complaints (ok, hows about 1 complaint) about a soggy/ruined logbook a responsible cache owner should probably head out and replace it, If not, maybe an SBA would get his/her attention.

Now, as to the subject of junk in caches; I know it costs me 65 cents for every 1000kg I take to the dump so I figure it's saving me some coin to drop my junk off in caches.

I had a cache in a decon box that was pretty stuffed when I put it out. There were several logs that complained about how hard it was to get everything back inside and in each case the person left something and took nothing. I never could figure out why (its not like I put junk in my caches).

I had Ziploc bag inside the decon box to protect the contents. When I went back for a maint trip, I found that someone had placed the decon box INSIDE the plastic bag and the whole thing was full of stuff. If it weren't for the logbook inside it you'd think the decon box was just a trade item :P .

Edited by briansnat
Has there ever been a cache that was just a ziploc?

Yeah, I'm aware of a few. I know of one that started out as a Ziploc and a piece of paper. The owner left it on the spur of the moment when he found a nice spot. He asked that others "build the cache" as they find it, by upgrading it and adding things..container, pencil, logbook, trade items, etc.... It eventully grew into a fully stocked ammo box thanks to everyone who found it.

Has there ever been a cache that was just a ziploc?

Sometimes a micro will grow. Salvda Hill Cemetery Cache is listed as a micro because that is what it started as. Originally it was a medium sized pill bottle with a few scraps of paper but people kept adding to it. By the time I got there it would have filled an ammo can. Still a pill bottle and a large ziplock after 2 years activity.

I was doing maintenance yesterday and one of my caches was soaked through and overfilled. After drying it out, replacing the log book, I left only enough to close it and removed the really soaked stuff which will probably be dumped. There was another piece that was OK in its own ziplock that wouldn't fit that I removed and will drop off in a future cache.

There's no point leaving a cache that's going to open again and get soaked and damaged again.

(Oh, BTW, did anyone see OSU squeek it out?)

We appreciate all the feedback on this issue. Last weekend a group of 3 cachers replaced one of our containers and maintenanced 2 other caches for us, that sure was nice--they were ones that nobody had reported a problem on. We are so sick of OSU pulling it out of their butt at the last second! 54 yd. field goal with no time remaining? give me a break! A little to Faustian for our taste! Go Gators!!

The problem is that some people are too generous. They take nothing or they take one small item and then they leave six big items out of pure generosity. And they don't think about the next poor cacher who will have a really hard time reclosing the container. When one has to try various packing arrangements in order to be able to close the container then there is too much stuff in it.