Do You Get A "rush"?

Mr Smiles

I placed a cache in a phone booth just outside of the main entrance to our local Police Station. The reviewers pointed out the "off limits" section of the guidlines and I agree that I pushed the envelope a little too far. I archived it before it was approved, and have no quarrel about it. An interesting concept about it however, was the idea that (some) cachers get a little bit of a rush while completing a cache in enviroments where they just might get "caught".

So my questions to you: (1) Would you be afraid to look for a cache outside a Police Station front door? Feel very safe there? and (2) Would you get a rush after "getting away clean" on such a cache?

I would not be afraid of that , however, I have a great deal of respect for law enforcement and am sure that would be illegal. In this day and age of terrorism, it seems like a foolhardy thing to do as well. I could see the bomb squad being called for this kind of thing. Why do that to them. Look what that kind of thing would do to a geocacher's reputation. Instead of a favorable view towards geocaching, this would make us all look like criminals. That will get us brownie points with the various land agencies.

There was a cache in my area, a great little place. To get to it, you have to climb a locked fence, and it was in front of a police station. The cache page itself encouraged you to be extra sneaky, said it was the whole point of the cache, to hide from the police. It lasted a few months before it was archived. Really, these kinds of caches are not necessary.

(1) Would you be afraid to look for a cache outside a Police Station front door? Feel very safe there?

Well, I don't think the police officers would feel too safe seeing somebody poking around with some sort of electronic gizmo. Which might cause them to draw a gun on me. So, No, I wouldn't feel safe.

the idea that (some) cachers get a little bit of a rush while completing a cache in enviroments where they just might get "caught".

I think if people want a 'rush' like that, they might want to just stick with stealing milk crates from behind the 7-Eleven.

I dont see a problem with it at all. if the container is clearly marked which its suppose to be then if its found there should not be an issue, at most the police may ask it to be removed..

we have a similar cache a few blocks from me that is near our city's local jail/courthouse thats been pretty active for a while. GCHYJ7

plus, who ever sees a cop at a police station?? all the stations ive ever been past you dont see anyone in sight, they are all out patroling. (yes im sure theres staff inside, but...)

I placed a cache in a phone booth just outside of the main entrance to our local Police Station. The reviewers pointed out the "off limits" section of the guidlines and I agree that I pushed the envelope a little too far. I archived it before it was approved, and have no quarrel about it. An interesting concept about it however, was the idea that (some) cachers get a little bit of a rush while completing a cache in enviroments where they just might get "caught".

So my questions to you: (1) Would you be afraid to look for a cache outside a Police Station front door? Feel very safe there? and (2) Would you get a rush after "getting away clean" on such a cache?

If the police know about it and they should, I would feel completely comfortable searching for a cache.

At least inside a phonebooth would be easy to find.

For those who feel like they'd look suspicious carrying a GPSr in the palm of their hand... strap it to your arm. That's what I do when I alpine ski. I love to review the track and look at overall distance and project it onto the scanned ski slope map when I'm done. It's accurate enough to show where I've turned back and forth along the decent, and MAX speed is a good stastic to look at, also. Some newer models even have rate of elevation change, too.

But I digress. Place your GPSr into a plastic grocery bag and glance down into it. the thin plastic is transparent to the signals going to it, so won't cause signal degredation.

Also, many of you have probably experienced carrying a GPSr and having someone comment on your nice cell phone. Perpetrate as if you're yacking it up with friends or trying to dial or send a text message or something...

It's clearly not a gun. If you don't yell "I'm going to detonate this BOMB!" while waving your GPSr wildly, I think you should feel safe in front of a police station.

As for the biggest "rush", I'd say it was when I was finding a cache while a helicopter was flying over in a search pattern. When you can feel the air being displaced by a helicopter, you know it's close...

If the police know about it and they should, I would feel completely comfortable searching for a cache.

I think that the abowe quote answers to your questions, if not here how I would feel.

If you have obeyed the rules you have agreed when hiding the cache, I would feel completely safe and would have no thoughts of rushing. I could wave to the officers !!

Easy to say, I am living a bit far away and will not seek for your cache.

I dont see a problem with it at all. if the container is clearly marked which its suppose to be then if its found there should not be an issue, at most the police may ask it to be removed..

we have a similar cache a few blocks from me that is near our city's local jail/courthouse thats been pretty active for a while. GCHYJ7

plus, who ever sees a cop at a police station?? all the stations ive ever been past you dont see anyone in sight, they are all out patroling. (yes im sure theres staff inside, but...)

If you really want to get the RUSH from cops, place it at the Phone Booth at

Dunkin Donuts!

:D:P

(1) Would you be afraid to look for a cache outside a Police Station front door? Feel very safe there?

I would look for the cache. Yes, I'd feel safe. Maybe a bit out of place, but safe none the less.

(2) Would you get a rush after "getting away clean" on such a cache?

I get a bit of a rush every time I find a cache in a public place. I guess I like it enough that I thought I'd share the feeling with others by hidding a few of our caches in very very public spots.

What's wrong with a phone booth on a public street in the public right-of-way? There's an art to doing these types of micros, but I don't think it produces a 'rush.' Get an idea of where the cache is with your gps before approaching it. Then put the thing away or pretend its something else. Talk on the pay phone. Ride your bike up and rest leaning against the booth (people don't look twice at tired bicyclists). One idea from a fellow cacher that I've used on occassion is to use my work clothes --- reflective vest and hardhat. Works like a charm..only trouble I have is when I run into a cache that requires discretion and I don't realize it until its too late.