Too Many Caches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a quick but loud rant.

Too many caches that are being published are plain pathetic.

Cache box of no interest.

Location of no interest.

Method of concealment pathetic.

Brain power required to find zero watts.

Ask youself when placing a cache,

'Would I like to be bought to this location'

If the answer is no, don't place it!

Or.

'Did my brain get some excercise placing this cache'

If the answer is no, don't place it!

Come on boys and girls, lets get some imagination going when setting these caches.

To quote Mies van der Rohe

Less is more!

There are far more "good" caches than "bad" ones in our area. Obviously peoples imaginations are different and some have far more imagination and inventivness than others. This is a sport where all are allowed to participate freely and as such all participants are allowed to place caches. If a bad area is chosen the placer will find out soon enough when their cache is trashed or stolen. If a cache is badly hidden it may be that this is the fault of the last person to visit. (we have found many a cache totally un-covered and in full view from quite a distance). Not all cachers think of hiding the cache they have just found properly we always take time to ensure that all caches are hidden as well if not better than when we found them as the hunt is spoiled for the next cacher if the final forage is not at least a little challenging.

Rather than ranting about this on the forum, wouldn't it be better to contact the cache owners to offer advice especially if they are new to the sport (I know that they should do x number of caches before placing their own etc) but this is the real world and the excitement of placing your own cache takes over.

Joan

:(:huh::o:huh::o

Then there are those who do not properly maintain their caches. We have only logged just over 100 but 20% of those were in a poor state and 10 had been laid by cachers who had moved far from the area. In several cases checking the profiles revealed that those responsible had laid x number of caches and found only 1 - obviously a "flash in the pan" interest which lets other people down.

Unfortunately we live in a fairly boring part of the country but we have tried to make our caches as interesting as we can - finders might disagree!

Edited by Birders

I agree, too many caches are poorly placed. I do try to make my caches a little more interesting. Usually they rquire a bit more of a walk than you usually find and I try to make the final hiding place one that will not easily get muggled. In the end it's down to each individual cacher though. I have to say I am dissapointed when the find is too easy or in a bad location but over all I am just happy to find caches wherever they are hidden. :huh:

If there isn`t many caches that you like to do in your area, we`ve found if you place some yourself, it encourages others to do the same.

We like something that engages the brain a little, but some people don`t, so we have a mixture of both.

Beginners tend to copy what caches they have done themselves firstly, so if you place a few good caches, it makes others do the same.

Also we go to events to air ideas to others to see if this type of cache we are thinking of get a seal of approval, fine tuning it for people.

Usually we tend to encourage beginners, not slate them, we all have to start somewhere. And give them a little push in the right direction, as every cache they place afterwards usually is better than their last.

We've found our share of bad caches, but they have been some really great ones too, it`s all part of the game, like a lucky bag, you never know what you are going to get until you do it.

Pengy

Edited by Pengy&Tigger

Having found a fair number of caches now...I feel more than obliged to place some myself....at first I was put off by the thread on permissions....but since then I have bagged a few caches which made me wonder why on earth would anyone put a cache in this location. :huh:

So I am now diligently searching my local area for just such sites that would answer 2202's criteria in the affirmative. :huh:

But it isn't easy... as I'm certain everyone else who has placed a cache has found!?

In and around the Glasgow area the hiring of a minder to accompany one when geocaching might not go amiss ;):o:o

The temptation is just to go ahead and take the plunge... but as it will be my first... I'm reluctant not to give it my best shot :(

Ullium.

I never expect too much from someone's first placed cache, especially if they have very few finds. If someone has found 100 and placed 6 1/1s on sites of no interest, it would be disappointing if they couldn't come up with something a little smarter for the 7th.

However, a "trivial" cache with a great view at the end of a nice walk, clearly marked as such, is never to be sniffed at. Of course, if it's close to my home and looks to be longer than I want to walk, it will annoy me - "dadgum, I have to walk 6km just to keep the area round me 'clean'" - but that's my fault for worrying about my "radius of found-ness" :huh:

It is important to provide some honest (but carefully phrased) feedback.

My approach is to make limit what goes on the cache log but to mail any concerns direct. Provided comments are made in a positive way then most people will respond and learn for the future.

The other aspect is to be responsive about comments people make to you; I have archived two caches because of feedback and not made the same mistakes again.

Then there are those who do not properly maintain their caches. We have only logged just over 100 but 20% of those were in a poor state and 10 had been laid by cachers who had moved far from the area. In several cases checking the profiles revealed that those responsible had laid x number of caches and found only 1 - obviously a "flash in the pan" interest which lets other people down.

Unfortunately we live in a fairly boring part of the country but we have tried to make our caches as interesting as we can - finders might disagree!

i duuno; i've never laid a bad cache... :huh:

I found a cache once and wasnt impressed with the hide or the location, But looking at the other logs for it I am probabally in the minority. It just wasnt my cup of tea but lots of others enjoyed it.

Some people like a hike, some people like to open the car door and reach out to retrieve the box. some people like puzzles and some people like micros. Each to there own I say. Each of my caches I have placed are in places that I personally really enjoy visiting. I dont demand enjoyment from others I just hope that some people like the place I have taken them. If they dont well they are obviosly different from me.

I think my area is quite sparsley covered but i dont ever want it to become over populated with caches as I think you will eventually run out of WOW spots. If this ever happens up here I shall start archiving mine to release space for newcomers to the game.

I've not been disappointed by any real cache I've found. Each time they have either

led me to a place that I really should have known about locally but didn't

told me more about a place I had been to before

amazed me that they could hide something in such a well used area.

I'm not over keen on the virtual caches, but if I have to spend a day in London on a conference I usually try and tick one off, just to try and keep the 'ring of confidence' as far from the door as possible.

Having said all that, most of the caches around here have been the ammo box under a fallen tree type, so you get fairly good at spotting the probable location. Perhaps when I have found a greater variety I will change my mind. But I'm just grateful to the people that have gone out of their way to create one.

Whenever I read a post similar to that posted by the OP I think of a post made by Renegade Knight quite some time ago. Click Here To Read It Whether that cache was actually placed by that pre-school child or not doesn't matter -- it is the idea behind RK's post that matters. We all approach geocaching differently -- for some it is a numbers game and for others it is about the journey. A "lame cache" may be lame to you but quite an achievement for someone physically-challenged. The cache was placed by someone, some thought was put into the location and the hide. Be thankful that the cache was placed at all. Without other cachers placing caches we would have a whole lot more spare time...

(I checked and "quite some time ago" turns out to be December 30, 2003. I am getting old!)

Edited by OzGuff
....but since then I have bagged a few caches which made me wonder why on earth would anyone put a cache in this location.

Perhaps I should have been more specific....I was not referring to caches which were perhaps not the most difficult to find ... nor with the greatest of views ... nor took me on a route which was pleasureable to walk ... in fact really with nothing really special about them .... as has been commented ... they no doubt brought pleasure and satisfaction to someone... even if it is only to increase their numbers!?

.What I was referring to was those cache whose locations have no easy route into.... in fact are downright dangerous to get to and with no view (in fact one I did recently I couldn't even view my feet for the chin high nettles) ... in fact with absolutely nothing going for it apart from the addition of a digit on one's total finds.

The pity is that one can be conned into going for these caches because you just can't believe anyone would be so silly to place a cache under these circumstances....but the fact is some do!

I would never presume to critisise someone for a lack of immagination or ability as I am certain they have done their best to add to our ongoing pleasure... and for that they have my sincere gratitude :huh:

Ullium.

There are good caches, and ugly cache but there are no bad caches! If you're taken somewhere dangerous, turn around and go on to another one. If you're in a place so dull you can't stand to stay there any longer - looking for a cache - turn around and go elsewhere. At the VERY WORST you'll get a DNF and NOT add another figure to your scorecard.

I've done some 'not great' caches, but usually after reading others lukewarm logs so I only have myself to blame. If a cache I did was *so* terrible I'd say I had no fun doing it in the log and avoid that setters other offerings. Of the 'so-so' caches, I bet if I'd have done them at another time of year, or even other time of day, I might have seen a whole other side to the location.

In the past I've been taken to corners of random, yet attractive fields and into the middle of many friendly but bland woods. I've been attacked by litter caching near a rubbish tip and had cars and trucks howl past below me over the M25. I can remember the names of the 'less pleasant' caches - which I think tells you something.

Here endith the lesson.

SP

If you're taken somewhere dangerous, turn around and go on to another one

Yes Simply Paul that is very easy to say and dare I say it ... a bit smug .... situatiions like this arise in life and are very difficult to avoid in practice ... especially when one has gone so far down a particular road that one finds it very hard to turn back :blink:

In a lot of occasiions one only realises a situation is dangerous when it is too late!

A bit like those who have never smoked in their lives claiming it is purely a matter of deciding to give up the weed ... when in reality it is just not that easy !!

Ullium.

Edited by Ullium

A bit smug? Yeah, that'll be me. Knowing when to turn back is something I learned in Madeira when I almost killed my girlfriend and myself. Taking personal responsibility for ones actions is something adults get to do. And I say this as someone who's never even had a single puff on a single cigarette... B)

The dangerous locations thing is another issue. I've never been called upon to do anything more dangerous than drive to a cache, but I suppose it might happen. I have been bored doing a cache from time to time, which I think was 2202's point.

I'm just off to read 2202's logs and try to work out which/whose cache's he's thinking of. I can't help noticing he's not done any of my latest offerings in Oxford... Well, that's the smugness gone :blink:

SP

Taking personal responsibility for ones actions is something adults get to do. And I say this as someone who's never even had a single puff on a single cigarette...

Up to a point I agree with you Simply Paul....however speaking as one who has given up cigarettes four times in my life...for one year ....for four and a half years...for eight and a half years....and recently for three years .... I think you are over looking the fact that we are all very much products of our conditioning !!

And that conditioning takes place when we have very little experience of life to refute it...and it is subjected to us by those who don't even realise they are doing it...plus of course the outside world in general.

Making comments about 'taking responsiblity for ones actions being something that adults get to do' just highlights by how much you overlook the fact that if that were indeed possible for everyone ... the world would be a perfect place ... unfortately ... even concepts such as superstition which can be scoffed at by our conscious minds when in reality most of us are aflicted by it to some degree...if we are trully honest with ourselves that is :blink:

Just an example of course!! But it illustrates just how strong conditioning can be and how for the most part we really have very little conscious choice in the matter.

But coming back to the 'dangerous locations' ... can you not see that one can end up in a dangerous situation with little or no warning ... it would be great to have hindsight ... but for most of us that is not an option!

Fortunately, most caches that involve a bit of danger... the owners are responsible enough to warn cachers in their descriptions ... and if one goes ahead in the face of that then everything you've said is reasonable.... but I am not talking about that instance ... there are some caches that are overly dangerous with no warning given.

Personally, I think the tendency for cache placers to substitute good cache placing practice and guidelines for locations that are physically difficult to reach are taking the easy way out.

Ullium.

I have placed a variety of caches some of which I could now regard as lame. However having read the logs people have enjoyed them and they do what they are intended to do break the journey around north manchester.

I had others planned but have backed off. Chuddy has placed two excellent multi's in the area I had set aside.

If I had done them they would have been drive too and dash.

Glad I left the areas alone.

Not too many just quality and variety that was lacking (from me I hasten too add)

Three more easy blues before the final mother though. he he

Just a quick but loud rant.

Too many caches that are being published are plain pathetic.

Location of no interest.

Other than a First to Find, there is always a great deal of information to be gleaned from logreports.

Anyway, you always have the option of studying a large scale map first to make your own mind up about whether the a cachesite or the approach walk is going to be interesting.

If the map shows you that it is a layby or carpark cache, then it's pretty pathetic to bleat that finding the cache was too easy.

There are several caches which I have shunned purely on the basis of information available to me from the 1:50,000 or the 1:25,000 or the 1:10,000 Ordnance Survey data and there are others which I have shunned because it is obvious that cachefinders are having to spend inordinate amounts of time waiting for a gap in muggles at a popular beauty spot before grabbing the cache container and/or returning it. There are a few others which are very obviously too easy to be worth bothering about. I'm not a trainspotter or a stamp collector, neither am I obsessed with clocking up a high score in the tally of caches found, so I can afford to be a wee bit choosey.

There are three phases to a cachehunt, the first of which is planning the sortie. All sorts of information are available at this stage, though not always wholely good quality information on a FtF. It is wise to make best use of all the available information before going to a cachesite.

Cheers, The Forester