Ammo Cans

mrsr71

The "official" Geocaching stickers and logbooks can be found at the Groundspeak Store. However, your local pharmacy / office supplies store should have the little spiral notebooks and writing utensils for the log.

Note: If you live in cold weather, put a pencil with the logbook. Pens freeze in the winter.

For the outside of the ammo box, permanent marker should work fine. If you like to get fancy, I've seen painted ammo boxes but the bright colors usually give the container away.

Check this out

While these aren't "official" stickers, they've been made specially for geocaching by a cacher who plans to use all the money from sales to pay for a preminum membership. The store is in the works now, but one is a sticker for your cache container, and the other is a sticker to cut apart and use for Cache In Trash Out Containers (film canisters with plastic bags in them)

Check this out

While these aren't "official" stickers, they've been made specially for geocaching by a cacher who plans to use all the money from sales to pay for a preminum membership. The store is in the works now, but one is a sticker for your cache container, and the other is a sticker to cut apart and use for Cache In Trash Out Containers (film canisters with plastic bags in them)

Nice idea but horrible background/font color combination.

Thorin

Check this out

While these aren't "official" stickers, they've been made specially for geocaching by a cacher who plans to use all the money from sales to pay for a preminum membership.  The store is in the works now, but one is a sticker for your cache container, and the other is a sticker to cut apart and use for Cache In Trash Out Containers (film canisters with plastic bags in them)

Nice idea but horrible background/font color combination.

Thorin

Agreed. No way I'd buy one of those.

Where can one purchase ammo cans and log books specific to caching?

Why would you want to pay $5 for a single logbook with the geocaching logo on it when you can buy a pack of 5 spiral bound notepads for about $2? They work perfectly well and are all most people ever need to use.

The forementioned Cheaperthandirt.com is a good source for ammo boxes at a reasonable price.

Not all Army/Navy surplus stores sell ammo cans that have SEALS.

Inspect your ammo can purchase and make sure the weatherproof seal is still intact. A lot of them leak like mad without the seals.

I've purchased close to 100 ammo boxes and have yet to find one without a seal. But thanks for the heads up!

I bought some ammo cans a few months ago from ArmyGear.net. I bought S.A.W. cans which are the same height and length as regular 50cal cans but about an inch and a half wider. They came in great condition, no dents, scratches, rust, etc.

0002a.jpg

(that looks like a pic of a SAW can way up top that rusty_tlc posted, too.)

You might also want to take a look at these stencils available at Sissy-n-CR. Some like to use them for ammo cans instead of the usual stickers because the stickers are glossy.

stencilboxes2.jpg

Edited by Jeeters

I don't know where you guys are located, but the best place to find ammo cans around here is at the local gun show. They are really cheap and there are usually some different types there too. For instance I found some old army flares that came in an od green water proof container about 2'' round and 10'' long. I plan on painting them to look like logs.

I paid $3 for the container and the flares.

This may sound like a silly question but, How does everyone "camo" there Ammo cans? :( Specifically the patterning. Do you all make your own stencils? :D If so Out of What?

Some folks take this a tad more seriously than other ("Chronics" is an appropriate term.) After you've found a few you'll get a feel for what's out there. Put into this sport/game what you want to put into it. Some folks like to dress things up a bit.

If you choose to camouflage the cache try to remember that your camo has to match the setting. Don't go with green and brown if you're hiding it in a black lava rockfield.

If your hiding spot is well away from travelled paths and unlikely to be discovered accidentally you may want to forego the caomuflage to help the finder save some time. This is real helpful in deep cover where some of our GPSr's might not get good reception.

Our local hunting/fishing store has them, and sometimes they have even taken off the military numbering.

The place is called Hooked on Toys, and it is a big warehouse that has everything from kids toys, to all the outdoor sporting things for adults. They're around $4.