London Parks Caches

Stuey

I had a day trip to London yesterday. Allowed myself just 6 hours between arrival and departure on the train. I made myself a 12 mile route which would take me past 40 caches. Not expecting to get round the lot, I still was a bit disappointed with my "performance" in the parks...........

The parks caches are brilliant, and incredibly difficult at the same time. I had 10 "couldn't find 'em cuz I couldn'e get near 'em" in a row. People lurking, sat, perched, talking, eating.... There were so many people! I ended up walking the 12 miles but got 11 finds, 13 "couldn't get near"'s.

I still enjoyed it though, and next time I will make sure that I am there either early morning or late evening.

Thanks to Perthos for setting them, and for all the volunteers who now maintain them. It's a tough job!

Having done most all of them in central london, i can safely say that you will soon develop a technique, eg. dropping coins and pretending that you've lost something (muttering to yourself, makes it look more convincing) but on the most part you can just get on with it, because nobody seems to really notice you, they are all too preoccupied in there own lives to worry about a bloke/lass feeling up a bench!! ;)

Having done most all of them in central london, i can safely say that you will soon develop a technique, eg. dropping coins and pretending that you've lost something (muttering to yourself, makes it look more convincing) but on the most part you can just get on with it, because nobody seems to really notice you, they are all too preoccupied in there own lives to worry about a bloke/lass feeling up a bench!! ;)

After the first few I adpoted the Size 12 technique. Give the side of the bench a good clodding with right boot and see what if anything falls.

It seemed to work. And as you say, no one bothers about what anyone else is doing anyway.

A.

After the first few I adpoted the Size 12 technique. Give the side of the bench a good clodding with right boot and see what if anything falls.

It seemed to work. And as you say, no one bothers about what anyone else is doing anyway.

dadgum, I only have size 11s, d'ya think that's ok? ;)

I was in London and managed a few - I had to leave more than I got though!

I think most people will have the same problem during the day. I think you will find that if you go up to a park bench and kick it (when someone is on it) then that may constitute some kind of offence!!! ;)

I'd love to do the London caches (or at least some of them ;) ).

Before I got into Caching I was visiting London every month or so for work and had some boring evenings infront of the TV in a hotel !

Since starting Geocaching, I've only been back to London once, and that was only a working day trip ! D'oh !

We managed 15 in 6 hrs between 11am and 5 pm on a weekday. We found that having 4 kids (2 in pushchairs) really helps, its amazing how much a young child can get away with, hide and seek, tying shoelaces etc. We actually did one by boldly walking up to the location and asking the occupant if he would mind if we had a rummage under his seat. We explained the finer points of caching and logged the cache. So just go for it, but if you go into town by car be prepared as the parking charges are pretty steep and these have been extended to the weekend as well!!

I managed 37 in one day...around the parks and canal, the thing that helped was the weather wasn't that great....you have to take the rough with the smooth...nice weather=millions of people about, crap weather=parks to yourself...nearly. Some benches were still occupied but when you sit right next to someone whilst there are empty benches all around you..they get a bit uncomfortable and go else where....didn't like doing it but when you're on a mission you dont have time for them to take all day. :o

Mart

I managed four in a walk across hyde Park today, The first was easy, then the next two were occupied, then the heavens opened and all the muggles scattered. So I picked up the remaining three with consumate ease.

Got soaking wet though!