Geko 101, Explorist 100, Or Etrex?

melzer

Geko 101 and none of the Explorist have a PC connection, so they are a little crippled and limiting on what you can do with the units.

My experience would be go with a yellow eTrex if you are down to those 3. Its the one I started with, and I was pretty happy with it.

You can also check out used units here in the garage sale forum. You can sometimes get a pretty good deal from other geocachers that are upgrading.

Thats my .02

I'll second the vote for the eTrex yellow, as it is the only of the three that has PC connectivity. You may not need it now, but the ability to download waypoints without having to plug them in by hand is a VERY nice feature to have. With the Geko and Explorist series, the only option is to upgrade to another unit; with the eTrex yellow, it's just a cable.

yup, etrex yellow or better yet the geko 201. for a few dollars more get the legend. if you factor in that you'll have to buy the pc cable for the etrex yellow and the geko 201 but it is included in the package with the legend (and you have maps and much more functionality) and also there's a $30us rebate on the legend right now it's the one to go with.

you guys are good! :P

I have never bought a GPS before and I don't really want an expensive one. So i found these three fairly inexpensive units and I just needed some opinions on which one is the best to use for geocaching.

I appreciate the help.

Of the three on "your list" I would select the Garmin E-Treks because the other two you will never be able to interface with a PC. If you are going to be geocaching this is a very nice feature. Of course to do this you would also need to purchase a data cable at some time for around $35.00. The GPS is about $100.00, so with a cable your are looking at about $135.00, You Might be able to find a Legend for a little more which includes the cable, or if they still have them at costco you can get a Magellan Sport Track Map with cable and topo software for $199.00, an you might check magellans web site for a $30.00 rebate on the sport track map that would bring the price to about $170.00

I have never bought a GPS before and I don't really want an expensive one. So i found these three fairly inexpensive units and I just needed some opinions on which one is the best to use for geocaching.

I appreciate the help.

>>> another etrex vote

Of those three the etrex. If you feel the need (and after entering few dozens waypoints you probably will), you can get a cable and upload waypoints en mass. This isn't needed, but if you have the unit for a while get the cable, it saves lots of time!

I'm not sure about all these people claiming a etrex cable is 30 and 40 bucks, you can get a brand new glissen cable from gpsgeek for like 10-12 Shipped! Though, what they say is true. While your paying out, you should carefully consider 'upgrading' to a more advanced unit. Look at this way, you pay 100 for a etrex (base) now, and in 3 or 6 months deside geocaching is the coolest thing ever and you want something with maps (neither of the garmins on your list have mapping at that level, and don't think the maggies does either). So you go and spend another 100 plus dollars for another gps. You've now spent over 200, which would easily (150 would do, if you shop around) put you in some very nice gps units. (I refuse to think about the possiably you won't like geocaching :D ).

A Geko 201 is fine, but maybe a bit heavy on the AAA batteries. eTrex Yellow is bigger but also OK. I have the Geko and like it. I found the buttons on the eTrex a bit strange since I had to keep moving from front to side to operate it.

For a cable, I bought from GPSGEEK. Less then $15 to get it on your doorstep.

- Russell -

We have an eTrex Legend with the cable, thought you needed a program to download waypoints, so we never used it? How does it work? We always enter the coordinates once we get to the site. Where does it go on the computer? :D

You can download EasyGPS from http://www.easygps.com

I believe the current version is 1.3.7. Just install it, and then download the .loc files from the geocaches you are interested in and use easygps to download the .loc files to your gps.

Good luck! by the way the program works great and it's free! :D

Garmin Legend with cable. Amazon has them for $160. I called Circuit City and got them to price match - $30 rebate = $130.

You'll probably want to but the cable if you get the yellow etrex = cheapest is $8 plus about $6 shipping.

So for about $15 more you can get a legend which has excellent functionality than any of the original 3 mentioned