Geocaching Police

Team Reno

I talked to my brother this morning,he was telling me that the geopolice,had taken there cache box home redid it for them,because geopolice didnt think the container was good enough.Also replaced it for them in a better area in the park.I have read a few postings on diffrent caches.People can be a lil grumpy.Takes the fun out sometimes Are there more geopolice out there? Team Reno

There are other cache Vigilantes out there. Some of them are even organized.

Anyone who acts without permission from someone in authority fits the bill.

The only source of authority are.

The listing sites via the TOS.

The cache owner

The land owner/manager.

Maybe someday the political bodies might notice geocaching and pass laws but they haven't so they have to imrprovise to regulate geocaching.

Local organizations can work with all three to obtain authority but have none directly.

My brother said the geopolice was happy to help them out and thought he was doing a good deed.

You are kidding about Some of them are even organized?

I try to take extra pens or extra log books even zip lock bags.In case a cache is out.Or even wet.But we do not go around looking for bad ones.I hope that doesnt put us as geopolice.

Geopolice sure can take the fun out of this game.

Team Reno

Edited by Team Reno
I talked to my brother this morning,he was telling me that the geopolice,had taken there cache box home redid it for them,because geopolice didnt think the container was good enough.Also replaced it for them in a better area in the park.I have read a few postings on diffrent caches.People can be a lil grumpy.Takes the fun out sometimes Are there more geopolice out there? Team Reno

Yeah, people will repair caches that need maintenance and even replace the container if its cracked, or broken, but to replace a perfectly good container and move the cache to a "better area" is way beyond the bounds of being a "good Samaritan".

Thankfully there aren't a lot of these busybodies out there.

Edited by briansnat

So this brings up another question. We recently found a cache that was originally some type of plastic container, which according to many logs, leaked. Then another cacher came along and saw that and made a special trip back about a week later and replaced the leaky plastic container with an ammo can. They re-hid in the same spot, just donated a new, better container. I thought that was really nice and the cache owner did post a thank you note to the cacher. However, in reading this, should he have contacted the cache owner first to ask permission? Would this upset most cache owners?

So this brings up another question. We recently found a cache that was originally some type of plastic container, which according to many logs, leaked. Then another cacher came along and saw that and made a special trip back about a week later and replaced the leaky plastic container with an ammo can. They re-hid in the same spot, just donated a new, better container. I thought that was really nice and the cache owner did post a thank you note to the cacher. However, in reading this, should he have contacted the cache owner first to ask permission? Would this upset most cache owners?

Wouldn't upset me...only if the cacher moved it would it get to me.

I think most here are talking about people who feel a container or location is "not good enough" and take it upon themselves to upgrade...even though there was nothing really wrong with it in the first place

Yes, probably. Changing the whole container is sorta a big thing IMO. But I could also see the 'it was beyond easy fixes so I made a long term fix'.

I would guess it would depend how it was done. 'your box sucks so I fixed it' is rude, while 'your cache was so cool we wanted to contribute, the old container was leaky so we got an ammo box for it' is worded much better. I wouldn't be offened, It would actually be nice if someone gave me more nice boxes :D .

There is no one size fits all answer for something like this, but in this case, I think the key is "after many logs". The owner is obviously not interesed in maintaining the cache, so if someone else chooses to do it for him, he has no cause for complaining.

Sometimes, if I see a bunch of logs complaining about the condition of the cache, I'll contact the owner and let them know that I'm planning on hunting the cache and that I can fix it up if its OK with them. If I get no response, I'll just go ahead and do it.

Yeah, people will repair caches that need maintenance and even replace the container if its cracked, or broken, but to replace a perfectly good container and move the cache to a "better area" is way beyond the bounds of being a "good Samaritan".

well, just think...gee...you could actually log a find on your own cache then...whillikers... :unsure:

Here in Central-Southern Arizona we have a cacher who definitely has the "Cache Police" mentality. He has made derogatory comments about caches and travel bugs being in locations that he didn't feel were up to snuff. He will email other cachers about how to move Travel Bugs, even when those cachers have been hunting for months, if not years. He has even moved caches without consent of the owner.

Unfortunately, you have to take the approach of "Let a fool open his mouth, so that we can identify him as a fool." You can't control what someone does on the trail, but you can make sure his actions are known.

I can't and won't speak for "most" cache hiders, but for me personally, I'd appreciate it. I'd also feel embarassed that I let my cache go so long without any maintanence. This spring I did the exact same thing. I was planning a trip to eastern Kansas, and noted the logs on one cache where a cacher I had been communicating with for a while had broken the lid on another cacher's box. I took along an extra container and replaced the original, both as a favor to the person who broke it (and she had placed many good caches herself) and to the owner of the cache (who also had placed many good caches in the area). I will donate pens, logbooks, etc. to caches that need them, and have done so in the past. The cache container I replaced was an exceptionally difficult find, and also took me to a spot that I never knew existed, even though I'd been within a couple miles of it many, many times throughout my life. That is yet another reason I replaced the container.

So, through my rambling there, yeah, I think it's good to replace a container that needs it, but totally wrong to rehide it in a "better" spot. Totally wrong.

I have yet to hide a cache but I think moving it is wrong. I agree with Sparky-Watts about being embarrased about a continually wet cache not being attended to. We have one here that is in a very nice location and has been wet almost it's entire life and has been archived twice because the owner insists on using a non waterproof container. It makes me want to ask them if I can adopt it. I am a newbie and don't feel it my place right now.

I have yet to hide a cache but I think moving it is wrong. I agree with Sparky-Watts about being embarrased about a continually wet cache not being attended to. We have one here that is in a very nice location and has been wet almost it's entire life and has been archived twice because the owner insists on using a non waterproof container. It makes me want to ask them if I can adopt it. I am a newbie and don't feel it my place right now.

If it's a constant problem that the owner refuses to fix, file an SBA on it. That usually gets their attention. Is the hider even active anymore? There was one like that near here that was constantly having logs mentioning the need for maintanence. Other cachers tried to keep it active by replacing soggy log books, but to no avail. I checked the hider's profile, and they hadn't been active in well over a year, and the complaints dated back to about a year before that (actually within a few months of the time it was hidden). The cache was located in a State Park, and it cost $5.50 to get in to look for it. Since I didn't feel it was appropriate for people to have to pay to seek a cache (it was the only one in the park) that was crappy and not being maintained, I filed an SBA, and picked up the remains so it wouldn't become geolitter. Email the hider and ask what their plans are for fixing it up. If they won't do anything about it, file that SBA. I don't see any reason for a hider to allow their cache to continually be the subject of complaints for lack of maintanence. If they don't want to fix it, I don't think they should be allowed to block out a 528' area from someone who is willing to place a decent cache.

Actually moving someone's cache to a 'better' location? Unless it was in danger of being swept away in a rising river or something, I say that's just plain rude, and rather gutsy. I'd be upset if someone moved one of our caches without a darn good reason.

As for adding things like a new zip lock or log sheet - I'd have no problem with that. We've done it to caches that we've come across, especially if there are several logs where the finders are stating that the log book/sheet is full, and there's been no response from the owner (especially if there's really no place to sign log! ;)).

For a period of time my wife and I lived in Utah. While there, I hid 5 caches. I still have family in the area, and we travel to see them about every 3 months or so. This past weekend was one of those times. I took a chance one morning to check on all of my caches, and noticed that one of my cache's container had totally changed. I really appreciate the fact that someone liked my cache enough to help it out.

Dont' touch the cache. If you have intentions of changing the container to something else, email the cache owner first and get permission. It is one thing to replace a wet log book for them, but don't change the dynamics of the cache.

So this brings up another question. We recently found a cache that was originally some type of plastic container, which according to many logs, leaked. Then another cacher came along and saw that and made a special trip back about a week later and replaced the leaky plastic container with an ammo can. They re-hid in the same spot, just donated a new, better container.  I thought that was really nice and the cache owner did post a thank you note to the cacher. However, in reading this, should he have contacted the cache owner first to ask permission?  Would this upset most cache owners?

Dont' touch the cache. If you have intentions of changing the container to something else, email the cache owner first and get permission. It is one thing to replace a wet log book for them, but don't change the dynamics of the cache.

Yeah...maybe that cache owner wanted his tuppermaid box to be cracked and let all the contents get mushy and moldy because they thrive on repeated negative logs.....don't wanna do anything to change those dynamics, do we? ;)

I've moved a cache once to a "better" spot without asking -- that was on the public side of a barbed wire fence rather than on the private property behind it. Flame away...

IMO, sometimes we must police ourselves as a community, within the set "rules" of the site, to preserve the integrity of our RASH.

I've moved a cache once to a "better" spot without asking -- that was on the public side of a barbed wire fence rather than on the private property behind it.

Did you contact the cache owner before moving it? ;)

I think I could argue this both ways- however, i think I will go against it. I would be a little torqued if someone moved my cache. The cache owner may either own the land that it is on- or may have permission for the cache on the private land. However, someone may have moved the cache onto private land anyway..all things that *should* be found out before moving the cache.

I had one of my caches moved (other than the one that I have aforementioned in this thread) without my knowledge. - and it was a real pain to try and find it again so that I could maintain it. Although the new location was, in fact, better, it still bothered me that I was not informed of the move or the new coordinates.

I didn't contact the cache owner -- I wrote it in the log that I had moved it to the legal side of the barbed wire. This was largely because my caching partner (a relative newbie) had shimmied between the barbed wire to look for it, then found it and brought it back out to the other side while I was still looking in legal areas. After doing the normal caching events (TNLYJTBSL) neither one of us wanted to shimmy through the barbed wire (10 million dollar house on side of hill was very visible nearby -- I'm not kidding, this was just outside a gated community in the mountains around Monterey, CA). Found the bush-cubby on the legal side of the barbed wire, corresponding to the place my caching partner said she found it on the other side of the fence and where my GPSr had once zeroed out and hid it there.

I expect that if shimmying through barbed wire onto private property is necessary for a cache, it 1) should be listed in the description that its ok/permission granted and 2) shouldn't be a terrain 1 cache.

Given all that, I thought it was likely that someone else had moved it to a "better" location behind the fence, and I felt more than okay moving it without asking rather than trespassing to replace it. If permission had been granted and I was wrong, the owner could then add that in the description, bump the terrain rating, and I'd gladly drive the 2 hours back there to move it behind the barbed wire.

As most things go, when you find out the whole story- it all makes more sense. Assuming everything is the way you say it is (and I have no reason to doubt it)- i would agree that you did the right thing. I think that the "Dont move the cache" rule has difficulty being subject to the "Not on privet property" rule. Lesser of two evils, i suppose...

All people have their excentricities...if yours is "control freak," then you need to learn about yourself, and respect others. Helping a cache is great. Replace the log and pencil in a new plastic zip-loc...email them and offer help..., but don't step on them because they just don't wash the dishes as fast as you do...Oh, a flashback from childhood! ^_^

First of all, a dry log book/new baggies/extra pencil are generally never questioned. That's just being considerate to the sport...

I wouldn't be mad if someone changed the container if something was wrong with it, so long as they either sent me a message or noted it in their log.. It saves me from having to go fix it..

I also wouldn't be mad if someone moved it - A LITTLE. And by a little, I mean if the cache is now visible and they move it 10 feet away under a bush for better coverage, that's one thing. If there's new activity in the way of the cache's safety and they move it a few feet, that's one thing... Anything under 20 feet if it's for the cache's safety is okay... (Although, please tell me directly or put it in your log)

With that said, however, if you walk up to my cache, decide that the container isn't good enough because even though mine's not leaking you've been to one like that which did leak, or my hide is fine but if I put it 100 feet to the side it's even harder to find, then NO.. That's completely unacceptable.

I am a newbie to caching, but recently i found a cache that was in fairly bad shape. The plastic container was open and all of the contenets were strewn about on the ground. I gathered everything back together and put it all back in the container and put the lid back on it. Unfortunately, I did not know where the cache was originally. I found it at the bottom of a tree, fairly exposed. I had been looking for the cache about 20 - 30 feet away from where I found it.

Not knowing where it should go, however, I didn't want to take a chance and put it in a "wrong" location. When I logged the find I noted all of this in the log and also emailed the owner. Th eowner has not answered my email, so I do not know if he corrected it or not.

Since I am new, I wasn't sure what the right thing to do was. Hopefully, I made the right choice.

I am a newbie to caching, but recently i found a cache that was in fairly bad shape. The plastic container was open and all of the contenets were strewn about on the ground. I gathered everything back together and put it all back in the container and put the lid back on it. Unfortunately, I did not know where the cache was originally. I found it at the bottom of a tree, fairly exposed. I had been looking for the cache about 20 - 30 feet away from where I found it.

Not knowing where it should go, however, I didn't want to take a chance and put it in a "wrong" location. When I logged the find I noted all of this in the log and also emailed the owner. Th eowner has not answered my email, so I do not know if he corrected it or not.

Since I am new, I wasn't sure what the right thing to do was. Hopefully, I made the right choice.

Seems to me that you did everything you could do, since you're not the owner.

If the cache owner hasn't replied to your mail yet, don't get too worked up. There are a few up in my neck of the woods that can't be bothered, either. :unsure: