Caching In Nyc & Central Park

I searched the forum for old topics mentioning "Central Park" and only found a few pertaining to the post-911 security issues.

Our family will be headed to New York City next year to celebrate my parents' 50th anniversary (say 'Happy Anniversary to cacher called Tuck-A-Way!!!). It will be my first visit to the big apple and I'm hoping to incorporate a few geocaches into the trip.

I did a search and found there are a bunch of caches in Central Park. I know we're planning to stay near there and wondered about those. So has anyone done caches in Central Park? Is it possible for Mr. Small-Town boy to wander through there geocaching (with a few other people) and not be mugged, assaulted, or in some other way, unpleasantly treated? Are the caches in there pretty standard fare?

Tell me what we need to know! Thanks in advance!

Contrary to popular belief, Central park as well as most of the city is pretty safe. You will absolutely love NYC. The caches in CP are all pretty easy, I think I have found 99% of them with no real problem. You may even want to venture outside of CP and grab a few more Urban caches. These may be a big change of pace from what you're used to.

Next, I would post this in the Northeast forum or maybe one of the mods can move it for you. I think you'll get a bigger response there. Have a great trip!

I'll second JMB's post. I just visited family in NYC less than 2 weeks ago and we took time out for some Central Park caching, and it was GREAT. (Plus, one of the really neat things about NYC caching is that when folks see you doing something "weird", they tend to look the other way and leave you alone, as opposed to most other places where they come up to you and ask "Whatcha doin'?")

There's an excellent cluster of caches up in the area of the Museum of Natural History (search for cache name "TONY" and then do a "nearby caches" search from that page), and the caches take you to beautiful parts of the park you'd almost never otherwise explore if you were just walking around.

Go for it!

-Dave R. in Biloxi, MS (and NYC native!)

Actually there's not much you can do in NYC that would be concidered "wierd". You could be skipping around singing "We're off to see the wizard" while searching for caches and people wouldn't pay much attention to you. They might even give you money. :laughing:

This should help: Map.

Actually there's not much you can do in NYC that would be concidered "wierd". You could be skipping around singing "We're off to see the wizard" while searching for caches and people wouldn't pay much attention to you. They might even give you money. :laughing:

ROFLMAO!! :blink::(:(

(Try getting caught geocaching ("something weird") in the woods in a park in Mississippi (no Deliverance jokes, please - it's not like that here (most of the time) despite what you may have heard!), having someone walk by and ask "Whatcha doin?", and then seeing their expression when you answer in a New Yawk accent!)

I would second (third, fourth?) the opinions so far - CP is fine - I found most of the ones in there a few weeks back. Take a pen - some do not have one.

Others in NYC I liked - Times Sq webcam, and the splicingdan series (lookup Jersey or Collister) - gritty urban hides in downtown region - I only had time to search for one of them.

Other urbans may have to be attempted at odd times in the day.

This should help: Map.

To elaborate on JMB's map a little bit:

You can see that cluster I was talking about there in the West 70's. If it's a clear day, save "The Castle" for last (nice view from the top), and then from there walk North the equivalent of a few blocks. You'll run into the Great Lawn (where so many famous concerts have occurred over the years), another great place to walk and people-watch.

So many visitors limit their "touristing" of Central Park to the areas down near midtown...the best parts of Central Park are up there where you'll be caching!

-Dave R.

So you're saying there's a wizard of geocaching in Central Park??? Cool !!!

That's an excellent map! I see the little of cluster of caches that was mentioned. I can see right now that there will definitely have to be an afternoon or so set aside for caching!

Right now we're just planning all the different things we want to do there. It will be the first time in NYC for me. My folks have been there, my brother's been there, and even my wife's been there -- but not me.

And, as a dedicated (or is that lunatic?) geocacher, I feel compelled to incorporate caching into any trip I take. So we'll have to pull aside a couple hours, at least, for caching nearby. The park looks to be the place!

BTW -- where is that cluster of caches in relation to Tavern On The Green? I understand that's near, or in, the park and I know we're planning to go there.

Thanks for the terrific responses (so far) !

TOTG is at 67th and Central Park West, so that's perfect. Your caching/walking tour will take you up to the mid 80's (including Strawberry Fields around 72nd St.), and I promise you this: If it's a clear day and if you have the time to do all those caches and then those few extra blocks to the Great Lawn (allow about 2-3 hrs, although it can be quicker - this allows for time to avoid onlookers, and tree canopy signal delays), when you get home you'll be talking about THAT part of your New York trip as much as, or more than, your trip to the usual tourist attractions. Promise!

-Dave R.

Edited by drat19
The closest cache to The Tavern, I believe is Imagine

Yep. the Imagine cache is on the far side of Strawberry Fields, which is around 72nd St. near the Dakota Apts. where John Lennon lived (and died). (And THANKS JMB for reminding me of the only CP cache I tried that I didn't find! :laughing: ) (It's still there according to recent logs).

-Dave R.

One last thing, might want to check with Dboggny and see if he's available for one of his (in)famous "geocaching tour of central park" outings.

Plus Danny is a NYC detective so you'll feel safe. He's also one heck of a BBQ technician. :laughing:

FOOD?!?!

We haven't done a night tour of CP in a long time; and there are some new caches since i have gone. If we can get a group tegether, a warm summer night is perfect for geocaching/ observing the local "animals" as well. Lets get a list of interested people and set a date.

Edited by dboggny

Here is a link to the first cache we did in Central park with dboggny as our guide. Each of my logs will link you the next cache as the night got darker and the women and children left the park, the roller bladers coasted out of sight, the joggers all went home. And the creepy crawlies came out to play. It all looked so idyllic and innocent at first. But wait til the sun goes down. And whatever you do, don't forget the flashlight! Yes, take dboggny with you! Just don't let him let you try to lead everyone out of the park.

My inlaws live in NYC, and I visit pretty often. We'll be there last week of July, as a matter of fact! Central Park caching is great fun, and I think I've done about half of them.

As always, use common sense -- be aware of your surroundings, and keep it to daytime caching in the park.

Hi all, I'm kind of new to this site...I'm drat19's sister. I live in NYC about a block from Central Park and went with him on his last caching adventure there...and I am there all the time, as it is essentially my "back yard."

Things people have said are all correct -- I would definitely advise anyone who is unfamiliar with the area and who goes caching in the park to try and avoid being there after dark if at all possible, as some of the caches are located in fairly remote areas that could be unsafe after the sun goes down. No one should bother you, though, if it is daylight -- and as has been pointed out, people in the park are more likely to just leave you alone than to ask you what you're doing! (New Yorkers are so jaded... :laughing: )

Generally, Central Park is great, though -- and it is safe for the most part. As you would in any large city, be aware of what is going on around you and you should be fine. (And if you go to try and find the Imagine cache, be sure to stop and take a look at the memorial to John Lennon and the mosaic in Strawberry Fields -- you don't have to be a Beatles fan! :blink:)

Hope this helps! :(

Central Park is great. It's a really pretty gem of a park right in the middle of a great city. Lot's of things to see and do in the park - row boating, people watching, sunbathing, a zoo, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Museu of Natural History (dinosaurs) and Planetarium, horse drawn carriages, skating, running, bicycling, hiking and oh yes , geocaching.

If you happen to be visiting the UN, try my cache nearby. (Sorry, Couldn't resist the plug!)

Don't forget your camera.

Alan

...Yes, take dboggny with you!  Just don't let him let you try to lead everyone out of the park.

hello?! it was YOUR gps that we followed out of the park if you remember correctly, missy!

I was just thinking the same thing.....don't let Planet lead the way......danny and I were in the back, conversation went something like this

danny: what direction are the cars?

me: South

danny: what direction are we headed?

me: East, I think

danny: Why?

me: don't ask me, Planet's leading the way....... :blink::laughing:

Anyway, I wouldn't be afraid to hit any of the Central Park caches during the day, and if danny was along, during the night......something comforting about having a NYPD detective along for the trip.

Once it starts getting a little closer to the date, post something in the Northeast forum if you're interested in meeting some fellow cachers, and I'm sure a few will show up to cache with you. All the cachers I've met on several trips to the NYC area are great people, and caching with them was a lot of fun. (even when they were laughing, watching me look for caches they'd already done :()

Also, if you're close, you might want to check out this cache. The owner works very nearby, and if you're lucky you just might be able to meet and give the answers in person.

I'll totally agree with what has been said about dboggny's guided tours. Mopar and I did the first trip, at night no less, and it was one of the highlights of my geocaching experiences. I cannot thank dboggny enough for doing that with us.

dboggny, you should give out some sort of certificate to people who have experienced the Central Park Night Caching Run. :P (mtn-man ducks!)

Excellent info people!!!

That's exactly the kind of info I was hoping for! Now I just have to wait a year to put it to use!!! :P

When it gets closer to the time of our departure, I will definitely post something in the northeastern board for more answers. It also sounds like it'd be quite the adventure do join in on a caching adventure with others!!!

Thanks again for all of your answers!

I would just point out that this thread has presented you with 2 different opportunities to experience Central Park: The daytime run, which is safe and scenic and replete with photo ops along with the caching, and the nighttime run, which would be a pretty awesome adventure and way to experience CP in a totally different way.

Maybe you'll have time for BOTH!

-Dave R.

I'm thinking it would be a daytime adventure. I am legally blind. Although I can see pretty well, my vision is limited. So night-caching would be especially difficult. And the photo ops of the daytime are quite appealing. So I believe we'll stick to the daytime hours.

Good choice, you'll enjoy caching in the park more in the daytime anyway. On the weekends they close the roads to automobiles and it's wide open for rollerblades, bikes or any other 'people powered' vehicle you feel like caching in. You'll enjoy it, it's a real different experience caching with 500,000 muggles in the same park. :P

...Yes, take dboggny with you!  Just don't let him let you try to lead everyone out of the park.

hello?! it was YOUR gps that we followed out of the park if you remember correctly, missy!

Exactly!! I said don't let him LET YOU try to lead you out. Not don't let him lead you out. We all should have let you take the lead. I tried to let you take the lead. I hadn't been in that park since I was a little girl of 11 or so.

Having lived in NYC for a few years, a night time walk through Central PArk sounds like fun. How do I get on the mailing list so I can find out when the next one is?

Keep an eye on the Northeast forum, and dropping into the #geocache chat room on a semi-regular basis wouldn't hurt, either. Usually these treks are fairly informal, and are just discussed in one of those 2 locations.