Garmin Legend Settings

Cap'n Jack

So I have been at this for about 5 weeks, I am finding caches. Have spent hours reading FAQ's and all sorts of topics. I am still looking for a listing of the "correct" / "Preferred" settings for a Garmin Legend and or any other GPSR I know there are a bunch of you out there with tons of experience, who could share your knowkedge. So how about it? How about starting a listing just for GPSR settings for Geocaching?

The only setting you really need to make sure of is that the datum is set to WGS84. Everything else is a matter of preference. I've actually noticed that the accuracy tends to be better without WAAS enabled, but your mileage may vary.

I also use a Legend, as do may others on the boards. Feel free to e-mail me or reply to this thread if you have questions about any specific settings.

--

Pehmva!

Random quote:

sigimage.php

I was just wondering what others were using. As you know there are a bunch of settings you could use. Do you use the "feature" location lon/lat, & location selected? Seems interesting, although it does not seem to work the way I think it sould work. How about bearing & heading? What pointer? Bearing pointer or course pointer? Just trying to see what others are using.

Thanks for the reply!!

Really, there are only a few things to worry about.

WGS 84 which should be the default datum so you shouldn't have to change it.

Make sure your latitude and longitude are set for DDD MM.MMM to match geocaching.com

As for WAAS, it slows down your GPS. Normally you can leave it off. However if you do leave it on and you have a good WAAS signal you will find your accuracy in general goes up. (You can find the opposite at times per your satalite screens reported accuracy).

That's it. Most of Garmins default settings are actually pretty good.

If you are running old firmware you might want to upgrade. Newer versions allow for 1000 waypoints which is rather nice.

My favorite screen is the rubber band map to get me close then the compass pointer to get me to the cache when I start walking.

Is there a position (vertical, horizontal, etc.) that seems to work best with the eTrex units?

I have an eTrex Venture and find that the directional arrow (to the waypoint) tends to not update at times. My solution has been to 'refind' the waypoint to update the direction and distance.

quote:
Originally posted by smenzel:

Is there a position (vertical, horizontal, etc.) that seems to work best with the eTrex units?

I have an eTrex Venture and find that the directional arrow (to the waypoint) tends to not update at times. My solution has been to 'refind' the waypoint to update the direction and distance.

A couple of notes here:

If you hold down the Page Button (Top Right), you can turn off / on the digital compass. If yours is off, the only way the GPSr knows your direction is your movement (which may not be that accurate if you are moving slowly).

I often get notified to hold the unit level so it can get an accurate compass reading. I think the best way to hold it is when the top is slightly elevated from a level position (in my experience).

This applies to the Summit and Vista only. The others don't have magnetic compasses.

Hold the unit horizontally when you calibrate the compass, otherwise the "Hold Level" warning will appear at the wrong inclination.

To let the patch antenna work at its optimum position, you should hold the unit horizontally too, so that doesnt' interfere with the compass sensor. This is opposite to the GPSMAP 76S, where the antenna works best when the unit is held vertical, but the compass still requires the unit to be held horizontally.

Anders

I've found no difference using WAAS, or not, so I shut it off.

Some settings I use:

Backlight - 30 SECONDS...just because I think its a good number

Battery saver ON...unless I'm having trouble finding a cache, in which case I'll switch to NORMAL.

Track log ON...comes in handy if you need to find your way back. For the track log I use the record method of AUTO and interval of NORMAL. I'll switch from NORMAL to MOST OFTEN if I plan to use the track to indicate my route on a topo map.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:

This is going to sound a little crazy, but I promise you, it works for me.

Get a good compass (one you can really trust). When the arrow does like you've described, whip out the compass and find north. Then, holding your eTrex flat and next to the compass, turn it in your hand until the north on your eTrex matches the north on your compass. Then follow the arrow to the cache.

I'd say 85% of the time this works for me, the rest of the time I do like you suggested and reaquire the location (sometimes even turning the unit off completely first).

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

quote:

It's probably due to a combination of having it set on battery-saver mode, and a temporary loss of signal. If "refinding" the waypoint is actually causing the arrow to suddently start working again, then there is probably something seriously wrong with your unit. But my guess is that it's not. Try turning off battery-saver mode. Next time this happens, check the sat-screen and make sure you've got at least 3 good locks. The walk briskly in a straight line for at least 15'. If the arrow is still not working, then you do have something wrong.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

quote:
Then walk briskly in a straight line for at least 15'. If the arrow is still not working, then you do have something wrong.

I find it sometimes take a lot farther than 15 feet for the directional needle to straighten out...esp if you don't have a great sat lock.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:

I've had a similar problem with my Legend. Check which navigation pointer you have selected: Bearing or Course. The Bearing Pointer will continually update to point at the destination. I still don't understand exactly what the course pointer does but its direction doesn't seem to update.

As long as you're setting up your Legend, don't forget to set your owner's information page. Click to the drop down menu on the Main Menu page and fill out the information.

I found it by accident...I remembered that option was added a couple updates back, but since my Legend had set on the shelf for a while the manual didn't have that info.

Bret

Most everything all of you have suggested is great! Thanks, how about more....??? There a TON of tools packed into the Legend, I can not believe all of you are using just the box stock defaults icon_confused.gif ?? How about the "NORTH" question, TRUE or MAG? Bearing Pointer? Course?

Final Dest. With all of the Technology in this unit,,, how about some experimentation? Okay I know I am a propeller head, who reads manuals and tries options... Just want to see what others are doing? Hey, we paid for this stuff, shouldn't we use it? By the way this post is getting some hits, so I know there is interest.

Lots of good clues so far. I use an eTrex Vista, so I'll address a few other issues I haven't seen yet.

I just upgraded to new firmware. Check the Garmin Support -> Downloads site regularly. It's free, and you can do it yourself. No good reason not to. [icon_smile.gif]

I got the mapping software for the USA (MetroGuide). It's WELL WORTH IT if you can store maps on your eTrex! Besides for traveling, it's a great way to look for other streets that might be closer to a cache! [icon_wink.gif]

I set my compass to auto, but I turn it off if the unit is moving more than 10 mph (use the GPS for direction if I'm moving fast). I also need to be going slower for at least 90 seconds before turning the compass on (to wait through most stop lights). This saves some power, but gives me better accuracy when caching on foot.

If you need to use earings, for orienteering (for example), I like the compass on, rather then needing to move to get the bearing...

On the bottom of the map screen, I set one window to speed, and one window to accuracy.

WAAS works well on the Vista, and usually gave me good info with the 3.2 software. I haven't tried it with the 3.4 software yet, but the bugfix list says it improved the WAAS info. [icon_smile.gif]

With the maps, I usually keep the default settings, but sometimes the hotel/food/gas info is too much, so you can set the details to "less" in the map setup submenu. (This will survive power cycling.)

We use NiMH rechargeable batteries. Remember to set your main settings for the proper battery type! If you forget this, you may run out of power suddenly. (The unit will turn off early, to save batteries, or the batteries will run out and the unit will not have warned you!)

NiMH batteries will save you a little bit of weight...

When I change the batteries, I re-align the compass, just because. (It's usually pretty close, but if the past batteries were almost exhausted I found that the compass was frequently out of whack after changing them.)

When your batteries are low, my GPS has trouble tracking properly. I try not to run the batteries into the ground. Always carry some spares with you. (I'll sometimes bring a 4-pack of AA batteries, and leave a pair in the next cache after I put a new pair in the GPSR.)

When you are out caching in a new neighborhood, try markig a waypoint when you park your car...you never know when you might get lost. [icon_wink.gif]

- - Dacxjo, Team Esperanto

I recently purchased a garmin legend and have not figured out all the bells and whistles yet. However, is there a way to set the "Bearing" to read in compass degrees instead of a letter direction (i.e., N, NE, S, etc.)? I realize the compass points to your way-point, but when you get a weak signal, it would be nice to be able to follow a compass bearing in degrees rather than a letter direction which may cover many several degrees. I have scanned the manual, but could not find how to do this. Hope my question makes sense. Any help would be appreciated.

Starting to see some good stuff here, but still no bites on the tough questions as I posted further up the posting...? I also use NiMH rechargeable batteries; they seem to be fine. I have found the same with the maps; sometimes less is better. I have GPS Accuracy and Turn set on the NAV screen. With Bearing, Heading, Elevation, Destination, Pointer, location, Accuracy and Trip Odom set on the Trip Computer screen. This is the interesting screen to play with... Just wish LOCATION lon/lat, and LOCATION selected would work…?

Letters vs. degrees, make sure you set up degrees in the setup section, although you always get the standard N,E,W,S...

Tip: double clicks on the joystick will take you to your previous screen, kinda neat to jump back and forth between the Trip Computer and the NAV screens.

I spoke with a technician today at Garmin re. Location (Lat/Lon), and Location (selected). Basically the latter is of no use, it is there to show you your location if you have selected a different grid type i.e. UTM etc. And Location (Lat/Lon) will always indicate your current location. Not real useful for Geocaching. So I sent in a request for an option enhancement… We shall see what they say.

To be able to display your location in some other format than lat/lon could certainly be useful. Particularily if you are matching some coords from a map, equipped with Swedish Grid or whatever. However, both location formats gives you your current location, nothing else. There is no way you can see the coordinates of your destination, except by looking at the info page for that particular waypoint, or by panning the map to that point. Well, you could actually go there, then it will be the same as your current location... icon_wink.gif

Anders

quote:
Originally posted by the hangman:

I usually use the compass screen when I get near the cache. As I get to within say 30 feet of it, I check the SAT screen to see what the accuracy is. Is this what others do ? Is there any way to program the GPSr to show the accuracy on the Compass screen?

The two fields in the navigation screen can be customized with many different options. Use the click-stick and highlight the field to change it.

GF

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

logo_small.jpg

I increased the font size for the street names from Medium to Large so I can see them better when driving. (I have a VIsta but most setups are similar)

When my navigation arrow freezes, I'll re-calibrate the compass. That miht be more a problem with the Vista than a Legend due to its internal electronic compass.

I mount the unit in a RAM mount on the widshield and then plug into lighter for power. Saves batteries and allows the backlight to be on continuously - great while driving at night.

Alan

In the UK , WAAS only seems to really work when we have a clear sight of the horizon due to the Satellites position and so my Legend seldom receives its signal. As the GPSr has to run more processing power to try and resolve the WAAS signal, it consequently uses more power and so drains the battery more quickly (no details of how much more quickly I'm afraid). Consequently, I have disabled WAAS. I have been able to find all the viable caches that I have searched for without this facility and have not found it to be a disadvantage.

Best Regards, John

Syhrag va qrpelcg

Battery save mode is a little more complex than just delaying postion calculations.

As long as the unit finds that you are moving at a steady speed, in a steady direction, it will check your position every 3-4 seconds, instead of every second.

But if it has problems getting sat signals, or found that you changed your direction and/or speed, it will run in normal mode for a few seconds, until it has figured out what you are doing. Then it will go back to turning off the receiver for 3-4 seconds again.

Also, even when in battery save mode, if you apply external power, it will run in normal mode anyway (which includes start using WAAS, if enabled). Normally, WAAS will not work in battery save mode, due to the nature of SBAS transmissions.

I ususally set map detail to "more", but limit the zoom level of POIs to 300 meters. I also limit the zoom level of waypoints to 12 km. This means that POIs will not be shown when the scale ruler says 500 m or more. Waypoints will not be shown at 20 km or more. All this to avoid cluttering the map too much.

Anders

quote:
Originally posted by Captain Jack Sparrow:

Anyone have an opinion on NORTH? Mag or true ?

I'd say it depends a great deal on where you're from, whether or not you use a compass in conjunction with your GPS, and what you're used to.

Illinois' magnetic declination is negligible at best, however you've got to do some math to figure true north from where you live. If you're using a compass while you're caching I'd say you'd want to go magnetic.

Good question, though...I'd like to hear the opinions of those who have to take this into consideration more than I do.

Bret

As long as you use the GPS along, it doesn't matter. It will know the direction to your target anyway. But if you use it with maps, ordinary compasses and so on, then it matters. Note that a magnetic compass, like in a Vista, will show true north, if the unit is set to true north. The GPS knows how much to add or subtract.

On way to find an approximate of your declination, is to set your GPS to magnetic north. At least my Vista then shows you its built-in value for the declination at your location.

Anders