Want To Get Your Post Viewed?

As I write this, I notice that the thread for "saying something nice" has 385 views and the thread for "you are being nasty" has 7,552 views. I must remember that when posting.

I looked at your post when I saw the title. Its the title that gets you interested. Saying something nice reads like Abject silliness. I am not going to know the background so I won't get all the inside jokes, and I don't read AS. I won't have enough background for a SSN post, so I won't be able to appreciate it.

If you gave me a tupperware box, that could be nice or stupid. If I was in emergent need of a replacement container, it would be kind of you to give me the tupperware. If I asked for an ammo can, and you promised one, then delivered a gladware, it would not be. There are lots of degrees in between. Not knowing the situations these posts refer to, I would not read either.

People probably read the YABN list more out of perverse curiosity.

Speaking of AS and numbers, I just checked. AS had 33,686 posts. The top 15 posters had 26,122 of them or 77.5%. The next 15 had 5,242 or 15.5%. Together 30 people have 93% of a 33,686 post thread!! On that note (before my brain explodes...) I need to get up from the PC and go find the 3 caches I had planned to find today....

Speaking of AS and numbers, I just checked. AS had 33,686 posts. The top 15 posters had 26,122 of them or 77.5%. The next 15 had 5,242 or 15.5%. Together 30 people have 93% of a 33,686 post thread!! On that note (before my brain explodes...) I need to get up from the PC and go find the 3 caches I had planned to find today....

You think 10 or 20 of those people need to be drawed into SSN? :bad:

How does the number of posts per person in Abject Silliness effect you as a cacher? :D

How does the number of posts per person in Abject Silliness effect you as a cacher? B)

More to the point what does it have to do with the topic of this thread? :D

Why would anybody be concerned weather or not their post was viewed?

Posting a topic is like making a statement at a dinner party, if the group is interested they will comment. The more people that are interested the more comments. If an interesting or controversial conversation starts other people will stop what they are doing and listen. Just because your topic doesn't start an interesting conversation is no reason to be hurt.

What you are also not seeing in the number of views is sometimes the same person that responded may go back and read a new post, then go and read another post, each time driving the number up 1 more time for view. While other threads, a person reads it has nothing to say or not interested, and never up the count agn.

Now if the views showed by unique visitor then it be cool, but I can read a thread and be view 301, then go back an hour later and be view 310, then an hour agn be view 315. 3 views by me. who knows how many of the 312 other views were by 312 people or 10 people just refreshing the view. it s like the old day Hit counters on web pages. Very inaccurate.

maybe people just aren't interested. Maybe I should start a thread called....BIG GROUP HUG or Kick your Neighbor, new virtual.... hehhehee...no really, come up with a spectacular Positive subject that will get soooo many views, I think that would be fun. I was personally just a little fed up with the enormous number of negative posts....that just sucks.

And Dream Alchemist has a great point. Users are Much more likely to track a controversial issue driven topic, and to view it more frequently, even when not posting to it. I know I read it even after I choose not to say anything more. (well, except the thing about sneetchs)

<_<

Edited to add: Oh, and I am not hurt, I couldn't care less. I was jazzed to get a little red envelope, but the reason is an odd one. Anyhow, I don't think that was the intention of this thread, I think it was an interesting observation. :D and I don't think it needs to be surprising to be interesting or worthy of note RK. :laughing:

Edited by norbu
...I don't think it needs to be surprising to be interesting or worthy of note RK. :laughing:

Norbu would you settle for a post about a cache that fits what you are talking about?

My log for that cache probably wasn't nearly as good as for one where I had to wade thorugh 4' of snow in a t-shirt for a coupld of hours only to find a groomed trail but the memory is just as good.

Hi, I don't have any expectations to settle up with really. <_<

But I do like that post of yours, it shows one of my common points, that good and bad really is inside your head. Check out the book The Diamond Cutter, it is full of info on the same. :laughing:

mindfulness can be a constant effort at first, but it is sooo worth it.

edited to add: oh, another fave is Choosing Reality. Excellent mix of physics and philosophy.

Edited by norbu