WAAS, does anyone get it

k6vaj

I commonly get a good WAAS signal here in Michigan -- seeing both birds quite well. The problem is that the nearest uplink station is several hundred miles away. People still argue whether or not WAAS helps or hurts here because there is no "close" uplink...

In any case, with WAAS, I've seen EPEs on my Magellan MAP330 reported as 7ft.

- John...

I have an etrex legend with software 2.41. I never seem to get the WAAS signal, and i'm not sure if i can get it in my area. The best i've gotten this week is 18 feet, but i've read that the 3.+ software improves accuracy. I'm waiting to get my cable and then see how well it does.

Before WAAS ,and sometime ago: Accuracy of the original GPS system, which was subject to accuracy degradation under the government-imposed Selective Availability (SA) program was around 300 feet. With WAAS Typical WAAS position accuracy is around 10 feet. I also have the Etrex Legend the best I've seen is 7 feet, here in NV. Without WAAS I'm around 14 feet which is real good.

John

quote:
Originally posted by k6vaj:

I have an Etrex Legend and live on the West Coast. I have never received any WAAS error correcting information and the best reception I've got is about 11 feet. Where's the 3 ft accuracy ? Anybody else ever get the info ?

If you haven't turned on the WAAS function, or run in battery saver mode, you won't.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

quote:

I have an Etrex Legend and live on the West Coast. I have never received any WAAS error correcting information and the best reception I've got is about 11 feet. Where's the 3 ft accuracy ? Anybody else ever get the info ?

Our geocaching seems to overlap. I live in Lake Elsinore, use an Etrex Venture (which has the same receiver and data engine as your Legend), and I regularly get WAAS correction. If you get to 10 feet, you are probably getting WAAS correction.

It does take a while to get the data and the only certain way to tell is if the little "D" shows up for the satellites on the satellite page. You can also check to see if you are receiving satallites 35 and/or 47, which are the WAAS birds. If they show up on the satellite page with enough signal strength to tell that there is reception, then you will get WAAS correction data. You should expect to wait up to 10 to 15 minutes, possibly less with really good signal strength. If you move the GPSr around and lose the signal from the WAAS bird, it will lengthen the time needed.

Patience is the key to using WAAS effectively.

Of course, if the cache wasn't hidden using current WAAS data it may not help you at all.

73's de Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

sigavatar.gif

I'm in Northern California and do get WAAS sometimes. A LOT of caches here are hidden on beautiful hiking trails among the Redwoods so I'm happy to just get 3 sats most times!

When I'm caching at the coast (Santa Cruz), or in the valley (San Jose) it's not uncommon to get the WAAS signals. Accuracy has been 3 feet icon_smile.gif

I have an Garmin-V And after many days of no Wass I (dang -read the instructions) And it told me that, turn it on and leave it run for a half an hour. After that it seems ok, it acquired wass system and now picks it up faster.

I don't know if this will help-- hope so. I think 3' accuracy is a myth 10-15 ft is about norm. Also a external antena is better than standard, for signal reception.

quote:
Originally posted by Dave_W6DPS:

quote:

Our geocaching seems to overlap. I live in Lake Elsinore, use an Etrex Venture (which has the same receiver and data engine as your Legend), and I regularly get WAAS correction. If you get to 10 feet, you are probably getting WAAS correction.

It does take a while to get the data and the only certain way to tell is if the little "D" shows up for the satellites on the satellite page. You can also check to see if you are receiving satallites 35 and/or 47, which are the WAAS birds. If they show up on the satellite page with enough signal strength to tell that there is reception, then you will get WAAS correction data. You should expect to wait up to 10 to 15 minutes, possibly less with really good signal strength. If you move the GPSr around and lose the signal from the WAAS bird, it will lengthen the time needed.

Patience is the key to using WAAS effectively.

Of course, if the cache wasn't hidden using current WAAS data it may not help you at all.

73's de Dave_W6DPS

_My two cents worth, refunds available on request._ (US funds only)

http://www.scgeocachers.org

Yeah, what Dave said.... I get it all the time.... WAAS that is... and that other "it" as well..... frog.gif

--------------------------------------------------

Black holes are where God divided by zero.